HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVE – VFBlack Pearl 6.1 VVT e85 14:1 AFM

This topic contains 69 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pir4te pir4te 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Is that first picture a Nos Fogger???? And I thought dry sumping takes more than an accumulator, doesn’t your oil pump need to be changed out altogether? Watching this closely…

Three litre piston type oil accumulator

Nah not N2O, it’s a pressurised oil reservoir that injects directly into the lube circuit when pressure drops below 35psi.

It works well for pre-oiling on startup and burnouts and racing circuits generally, a poor man’s dry sump because is an auxillary damper utilising the existing oil pump.

I say mostly dry sump because the sump is still ‘wet’ otherwise different means to same end.

Can boost a GenIV with 40% more oil on demand. I paid about $1000 prolly too much but I think is a bargain insurance bet  :good:

Naturally as-pirated, all-motor.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I reckon they are a very good/cool idea if you can’t afford or don’t want to go dry sump.  Pirate do you run the solenoid on it linked to ignition so it truly precharges the oil circuit prior to start up?

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

How do they actually work? Are they a one use thing, do you have to recharge them?  :unsure:

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

I reckon they are a very good/cool idea if you can’t afford or don’t want to go dry sump. Pirate do you run the solenoid on it linked to ignition so it truly precharges the oil circuit prior to start up?

Yes it is wired hot from the ignition circuit, via an installed oil pressure switch on the oil bypass adaptor plate

Oil pressure switch to limit solenoid discharge pressure bandwidth to < 35 psi.

which powers a hydraulic solenoid valve.

Surprisingly the hydraulic solenoid valve is made by an Aussie company and used by both Accusump and Moroso.

Currently mounted under front fogs and lower intake with an access cover (not shown)

So everytime before cranking I pause for five seconds or so to allow the pressurised piston to inject a few litres of oil through the system at a head pressure beginning around 30psi.

Makes for quiet and easier starts with high compression.

Also acts as a pressure damper, like a shock absorber evening out oil pressure pulses and maintaining pressure when backing off.

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

How do they actually work? Are they a one use thing, do you have to recharge them?

Thus bro sez ut bihst:

Once engine oil pressure is greater than the preset pressure of the (air side) of the piston, it is forced back and the (oil side) chamber is filled with a fresh charge of oil. So once set it is automatic.

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

The duration of the cam when parked (not active) is simple numbers, but with VVT it is not a static thing, and people’s eyes glaze over when I explain combustion phasing in detail, so here’s a quick animation:

Whilst the engine is building torque duration is skewed to early induction, and a deliberately short expansion – high pressure (boost).

Compression duration is lowered to max out the torque a bit but mainly to promote RPM by reducing pumping losses, then overlap scavenging joins in.

Spinning from just below peak hp to redline the duration focus is maximising charge momentum into power vs compression.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well strangely enough, i actually understand all that, sounds like a couple of chapters of tuning for speed :)  Said it before, a very interesting/cool build.

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Black Pearl on the shore at Midnight:

Headphones / sub and volume recommended  :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^not sure how I missed this post, idle lope sounds beautiful…

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Torque curve:

Basically means it can launch from idle or haul up a hill at 100 mph in third gear, if needed  B-)

Profile photo of pir4te
    pir4te
    Participant
    Supporter

Slowly picking up the pieces of this thread in the aftermath of Photobucket  :scratch:

Over the past couple of years have come to understand the cam scope (combustion phasing) with VVT a lot more.

Penny dropped for me firstly to think in terms of advertised @ 0.006” vs 0.050” silliness, then not to think in terms of static Duration or Lobe Seperation.

The key to combustion phasing was to recognise 80% of the effective result with different cams is determined by the Intake centreline – which is LSA less ground-in advance – abbreviated as ICL.

TL;DR Easy to show this in the video below, where the scanner shows the INtake PHaser Actual position Bank one INPHAB1 in camshaft degrees under different cooperating conditions. Double that for crank degrees and add the static (ground-in) advance.

INPHAB1 x 2 (crank degrees) + 111º (115º less 4º ground-in advance) = ICL

For those who like technical stuff and want to understand what’s actually going on (you can prolly see given lambda, O2, MAF and injectors):

• Idle 550 RPM is at full CR using early intake valve close (EIVC). 111° ICL, 63° IVC
    • Off idle light cruise part throttle low RPM the combustion is way over expanded, late intake valve close (LIVC). 136° ICL, 89° IVC
    • Typical cruise varying part load including WOT under PE, ICL ranges between 120°-130°
    • WOT during PE but under MBT the ICL phases to 111° (EIVC)
    • WOT around torque peak starts moving to straightup install position, ICL = LSA
    • WOT after torque peak the cam phases to follow the inertial charge crested by the overlap, moving ICL to about 120° which also reduces pumping losses

In old school speak it allows 95% of the max cam duration possible because it is dynamic, also the smallest Prius cam mode possible.

Result is it prowls around like a big cat V8 yet steady low idle, flexible performance delivery, with turbo diesel efficiency.

Good cheap mod.  B-)

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.