HomeForumsGeneralNews & EventsBathurst 1000

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just stumbled across this, its the program of events and also looks like they are going to post up the results as they go :)

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/championship/2014-v8-supercars-championship/supercheap-auto-bathurst-1000

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Whincup seems to be developing a bit of a talent for finding a way to lose the race…

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

Have you competed at a Professional level in the biggest event for that activity?  I have and your mind is racing and you don’t settle for 2nd, that’s why Jamie is where he is.  Sometimes it doesn’t pull off the way you’d like and youre gutted but you know you gave it your all!

Just to look at it from Jamie’s perspective… Where do you think being double stacked would have put him?  Instead of a sure fire bump down the pack he could stay out and try his luck at grabbing the win! Same as last year!

im not saying he made the right choice but you don’t win 6 Championships and 4 Bathurst titles without making a couple bad choices along the way.

lastly if both years it had of come off and he had of won then he would have been praised for both decisions… This is why I hate the media!! Pack of lowlife scum!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Wow, mate settle ;-)    No I haven’t raced Bathurst, but we (my son and I) have raced alot.  I remember him racing at Winton in his FF and they had to form up in the pits after a huge shunt and red flag.  Cam McConville was our driving coach, he went up and spoke to the two boys in the cars.  He came up to me after and said is XXXX your lad,  coz mate he is so wound up he is bouncing off the rev limiter!  I said no the other boy Matt’s my son.  he said, oh right, he is completely different, so relaxed.  Cam winked at me and said, btw that’s good coz calm is fast.  I mean all I am trying to say is if you are a professional racing driver part of the game is thinking calmly under pressure.  I mean look at how relaxed Lowndes was on the last laps being chased my Frosty, at one stage he had both hands off the steering wheel, alot of it he was one handed.  If you are like that you can make good rational decisions.  Two years in a row Whincup hasn’t, and if he is wound up and not able to think all the more reason to take the advice of your pit crew.  Thats just my opinion.  Btw he is a great driver, no question whatsover from me!!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

He’s a Driver… you have MUCH smarter people in the pits calling the shots…

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

Sorry Gary but I don’t see where in my post I was getting worked up??  And I wasn’t talking specifically about racing, I was just trying to give you a perspective of what it’s like at the top level, it’s completely different to any other level of competition.

ive competed at the top level for over 10 years now and I’ve seen and been in these types of situations before so I’m speaking from personal experiences here.  Everyone has there own style that works for them, just because it isn’t the norm doesn’t mean it’s not good (lowndes driving style is a good example). Saying that every sportsperson is going to play/think exactly the same way is naive and especially when they are in different positions in the competition. Which brings me to my next point, do you know how much easier and less pressure there actually is when you are in front even with someone chasing you down!  It’s a completely different mindset between 1st and 2nd!

IJ that’s all well and good but when that sort of thing is only at the top levels then who do the amateurs have to rely on? Themselves!  And even with someone ‘smarter’ in my ear it’s going to be hard not to trust myself over anyone else.  Once again not saying that’s the right thing to do but…

Until you are in these sorts of situations you really have no idea what it’s like!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea all good buddy, often the case the written word is perceived by someone different to what was intended!

I hear what your saying, but I really think if you look at pretty well every winner of the 1000 in the last 40 years, its invariably been by the best team, and with the best strategy.  Winning a 1000km race takes a lot of team work, its not just the driver being fast for a few laps.

I just think Whincup has made a couple of very poor personal decisions, and should rely more on his team.  All good, I would have been far less philosophical if the Ford had one because of it though :good:

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

All good Gary  :good:  I think it’s just the way the first comment read that annoyed me as I’ve seen a few people allude to the same thing.  Both times it was almost certain that Jamie would not have won if he followed orders so to say he’s finding a way to lose isn’t fair… Both times he was trying his hardest to win! That was probably my whole point I think.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

yea, agreed, was prob a little harsh :yes:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.