This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

You have made everything else Ian just make some headers and be done with it

LOL that’s my thoughts as well, my Mate after looking at it suggested these two pairs and they’re damn close, if only I had a Bluetooth Front Driveshaft!

Profile photo of

A few people asked Sunday how far back the engine is mounted, while I’m waiting for the new welding helmet to arrive I’ve started sorting the front end geometry..

Profile photo of

Bit more fiddling while I’m waiting, this will be around the static ride height when it’s done, I got the wheels tucked in a bit more and now have all the data I need to figure out the Lower Control Arm mounts..

Profile photo of

The New welding hood arrived, WOW… what a difference being able to see makes!

Profile photo of

Minor Brain Snap..

There is no room under the car to run the exhaust how I want, the rear Foot Wells are totally in the way… “Because RaceCar”

I need to rework the roll cage but I wasn’t 100% happy with it anyway.

Floor No longer in the way, I’ll put the new floor on top of the new chassis connectors and the exhaust can exit on the passenger side, I can’t run it out the back or near the rear wheel like on the Lexcen due to the fuel tank position..

I finish welded the front Diff mounts and notched the engine mount for a bit more driveshaft clearance, done for the day.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

“Because becoming a sports sedan RaceCar” 

lol  ;-)

Profile photo of

Went down and cut out the old X brace from the Cage and made up some new footplates, the 4″ death wheel is surprisingly loud at 8am..

Also ordered the Rod Ends for the new LCA’s, I was going to use the same Poly Bush arrangement I used in the Lexcen  but the Rod Ends allow me a LOT more scope in adjustment and tuning of the suspension!

Profile photo of

Made some doublers for the forward cage mounts as I don’t have a lot of faith in the stock .8mm sheet metal, did the rework on the cage, much happier now!

I have a few upgrades in mind and will knock them over tomorrow once I get the rear floor sections in.

I love my new welding helmet, I was starting to question if I’d ever been able to make nice welds….

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

MI love my new welding helmet, I was starting to question if I’d ever been able to make nice welds…. 

I have actually been feeling exactly the same way.  I posted on a welding forum and they suggested a few tips (extra lights, magnifiers, etc) which all helped a bit but didn’t really make a massive difference.  I reckon the funds from the power steering pump are going to go to a helmet like yours.  Should help me with the Kombi  :good:

Profile photo of

Well worth dropping the coin on one Gary, I’m amazed at how much better my welds are!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cool, cheers IJ, time to save up…

Profile photo of

Cool, cheers IJ, time to save up…

You’re half way there  ;-)

—————————–

Made a start on the floors, got a couple of small holes capped then made the template for the first section…

Started cutting it out only to find my air shears are still stuffed from the last time I used them to cut stainless… DOH, took to the bandsaw same deal the blade has too many missing teeth..

Off to Bendigo, took 5 stops to get all the bits I need, bandsaw blades are wrong so have to go back tomorrow, the new shears are el cheapo Chinese knock offs but the blade head fits my good aluminium body and motor.

Also dragged out my bead roller from where it’s been collecting dust for 9 years, what a beast you could bead 1/4 plate..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Before where I am now, I was halfway between Gawler and Two Wells, I remember what a pita it was going to buy stuff, getting home and realising I had either forgotten something or they sold me the wrong thing, grrrrr.

That bead roller is a nice piece of kit, making nice progress mate.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

140 km round trip for me…

———————————–

Made a start de-Flintstoneing the E36…

I’m NOT a sheet metal worker so making this up as I go..

My Snood for the welding hood arrived, it’s awesome, I like being in there, side bonus is it’s an anti Tourette’s device, no more red hot slag on top of my head or in my ears!

Profile photo of

Done for the day, moment of panic, I decided to do a test fit with the seat, was looking like a combination of the raised floor and Lexcen cage was going to be a bad thing..

All good, same helmet clearance as the Lex!

I love the idea of the mid mounted stock fuel tank, I also hate the idea as it’s a bit rare to hit something backwards with velocity but sideways at speed impacts are really common..

With this in mind I added a brace just in front of the tank, BMW also seem to have forgotten to include a Dash bar in the E36… Fixed that as well..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Great stuff, so does the snood help with general welding, or is it mainly if you are working overhead, etc?

Profile photo of

Great for General as you don’t get reflections inside the hood Gary!

—————————————

Because RaceCar!

My new rod ends, I wanted the bigger joints but don’t need the huge 3/4″ pivots and bolts, I found some that have 5/8 ball holes then added some 5/8 to 1/2 reducer sleeves, the joints also have a narrow profile for added lightness! (Craig’s fault)..

Trip to Bendigo was to collect some 8.8 hardware for the cage additions and to get some more materials, I grabbed a metre of 38mm bar to machine the ends for the lower control arms and some 10mm X 3mm flat strap to make a wireframe pattern for the new firewall/trans tunnel/floor, once that’s done I’ll make cardboard templates and transfer it to sheet metal.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Great for General as you don’t get reflections inside the hood Gary!  

Cheers for that, just what I wanted to know :)

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Ian this is looking good but was this the plan or has it just exploded out of control

Profile photo of

Ummm errr well you see… “BOOM”  :yes:

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.