This topic contains 1,534 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 1,536 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

LoL

—————————————–

One custom sway bar done, will drop it down for heat treatment tomorrow, they’re going to flange the ends and punch the holes for adjustment.

Profile photo of

Just ordered the hardware to fit it, My old bar was far too big/stiff so I added extensions to soften it up a bit, this one is 8mm smaller in diameter so would be MUCH softer but I’ve shortened the Lever arms so while it’s a guess it should be there or there abouts, no drama to make a bigger one if needs be.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just curious IJ, is it a specific kind of steel, and what sort of heat treatment process is it?

If I remember engineering correctly the torsional stiffness of a bar is proportional to the 4th power of its diameter.  So twice the diameter is 16 times stiffer. That’s why very small increments in diameter change like 1 or 2mm make a big difference in stiffness.  And of course, as you have done thats then effected by the lever arm of its length connected to the hub.

Profile photo of

I’m assuming it’s Spring Steel Gary, I didn’t ask it’s just what the spring place handed me, at this point it’s a bit of a guessing game as the suspension geometry and roll heights are totally different to the Lexcen, I can always make another if this one isn’t stiff enough ;)

——————————-

And Home, my Bar will be ready to collect on Monday, beauty of dealing with small companies they can usually knock things over asap, most other places would be 2 weeks to a month..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

What?  You mean there is no off the shelf solution for an E36 with 600+HP mid-mounted LS, that’s being built for dirt and tarmac events.  Go figure :wacko:

Profile photo of

Funny that  ;-)

Profile photo of

Dug out the rest of the sway bar bits for the one I’m selling, I’d noticed when I pulled the Lexcen apart the Tie rod end spacers were galled up a bit..

They were just small od washers so not quite right, I machined up a proper pair today then shot into town to collect my sway bar hardware.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

You are really moving the build along now, looks like you are pretty much over the hump of the hard stuff?

Profile photo of

Yep, the front end was the single most complex part to get right, I’m happy with it so I can OCD on other things!  ;-)

——————————————-

Now I have to put my spare Trans in the Tonner I’m faced with the hassle of moving an incomplete race car..

In the past I’ve just sat the shell on one of the machinery skates I used to move in here, problem being the car now has lots of stuff underneath I don’t want to crush..

Second issue with this much mass in it there’s a chance of the skate stopping before the car and it sliding off… BMW have kindly put holes under the jacking points so a morning of cutting and welding problem solved!

Profile photo of Micks
    Micks
    Participant

I like the drawing board IJ.

Profile photo of

“Aid to memory” Mick, would be lost without it.

Profile photo of

Ready to go to Melbourne in the morning, after talking with my Transmission Guru he thinks and I agree based on the symptoms the Trans is fine and it’s a Torque converter issue, I was going to have my spare cut and cleaned but I’ll take the failed one back as it was reconditioned not that long ago..

The Tonner has had an annoying tick for ages now that I haven’t been able to find, when I dropped the exhaust I found a couple of small leaks, nothing that would explain the tick, then I spotted the cat converter had split through half it’s weld fingers crossed that’s it!

Profile photo of

Melbourne and back in the racing Getz, won’t need to go to a theme park for awhile it was an adventure!

The Muppets at the spring place screwed my sway bar by not listening, they flanged and drilled it horizontal instead of vertical… They’re bending a new one and will deliver it..

Got my new Torque converter, they cut the old one open while I was there, it suffered a major failure, same area as John suggested it may be but 1000x worse, I’ll install my spare Trans and go through this one when I get time, it’s done 5 years so could probably do with a freshen up.

The Converter was well out of warranty (3 years) but they looked after me so it didn’t hurt too much!

Profile photo of

New Trans in, will hook it all up after lunch..

Profile photo of Micks
    Micks
    Participant

IJ with the Tonner is it a whole engine/KFrame out to remove tranny or just tranny only?

Profile photo of

Just the Trans only Mick, no Blower in the way now!

———————————–

Shakedown complete, Victory is mine!  B-)

Profile photo of

Mr Springs delivered my Sway Bar..

Profile photo of

Did a run into town today as part #2 of the shakedown, all good, needed to return the Racing Getz and as I didn’t have a second driver it was Tow time, normally wouldn’t do it on a New Trans but figured if I babied it a bit it’d be fine!

Mid to low 70c average there and back all good!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work. At least the delivered the new seat bar.

Profile photo of

It’s a 240km round trip for me to go get it, their stuff up its the least they could do…

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 1,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.