HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngine Conversions & EngineeringAnyone had an LS2/L98 Engineered into there 1st Gen

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gtrboyy gtrboyy 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rayray07
    rayray07
    Participant

I am currently doing a ground up build of my VK and going down the LS road. I know a lot of guys have already done this conversion and some have had LS1’s Engineered. I am at the stage now in my build to buying the engine and before I do so, I just wanted to know if anyone has had an LS2 engineered and registered on road. I have done a bit of searching and I’m having trouble finding anyone having a 6.0l engineered and registered on road. I am starting to think the 6.0l may be too big of a capacity for the VK.

Also, anyone know of a good engineer (maybe one that has done these LS conversions before) around Newcastle to Sydney?

Cheers.

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

You rta will normally have a list of engineers they can provide to you and ring around to see if anyone has passed what you intend on building. I know vicroads used to have a list on their website. Might be a start at least?

Edit:

Found it on nsw rta site but phone won’t let me copy link ffs. If you search nsw rta Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS) in google it should come up. There is a map that shows you where licensed certifiers are based.

rayray07
    Participant

Yea mate, found the list. There are a lot around. I’m in Newcastle and have only heard negative things about some of the engineers here. After a little more research I found an engineer in Sydney, John at Consulmotive, that has engineered some LS swaps, so might get onto him. Anyone here deal with these guys? Or could recommend someone else?

Cheers.

Profile photo of V8_fan
    V8_fan
    Participant

yeah mate from my expereinces with John he is pretty good. Went through him to get my airbags engineered years ago, heaps easy to deal with and knows a fair bit. One in Newcastle is Mullen Engineering. He seems pretty open to answering questions so might be worth. But can definitely recommend John.

rayray07
    Participant

Just for info.

I finally found an engineer that would give me information without needing any money and funnily enough it was a bloke in Newcastle which I heard a few negatives about. Essentially, he said there is no limit on the size of motor you want to use, be it, LS1,2,3, supercharged, turbocharged or whatever. All he is concerned about is that the driveline is strong enough to handle that motor and the brakes and suspension are adequate. You don’t even need to do emissions testings if you run stock motor with standard cats. I only need to do brakes test and noise test. So looks like I will be going ahead with my L98 conversion.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s great, thanks for the update.  If you haven’t already, start up a build thread, I would love to follow the progress.  Btw, that’s more or less how my engineer was, it wasn’t so much about firm “rules” more that the thing was well built and engineered well as a package.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Most go ls1 here ‘cos easier to get passed no engineer with just blue slip inspection.

Some old law 15% capacity increase not required so 5.7ls passes in 5.olyr car

My cousin got 383 BB mopar passed for his Charger due to that but had to argue at rta ‘cos 383 chrysler engine & vh charger not in system so never existed according to rta lady….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.