HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineAnother “what cam for ls1 thread”

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BLOWNVS
    BLOWNVS
    Participant

Hey all. Thought id try start some discussion on what ls1 cam/head combinations people have had success with. A good friend of mine has a freshly rebuilt ls1 short motor and is looking for a decent stick to put into it. He doesn’t get into the forum thing so I thought id ask on here, hopefully get some great info and activity on the new forum.

The original 241 heads are getting stripped and re done with new springs ect and some work done to the ports as well. Will be decking the heads to bring the comp up to something more suitable once combo has been finalised. (Hoping not to have any ptv issues as he would prefer not to fly cut pistons as he might as well get new slugs if going that far)

This car is to be a tough streeter/events car with single plain mani, 4barrel throttle ect, 3500-4000 stall and th400 so manners and fuel economy are if no real importance.

Basically want to come up with a solid combo that performs as good as a std bottom end motor can with the addition of some compression and good intake.

Been looking at a few different cams like the Texas speed magic stick 3 (237/242 112lsa) and the vengeance racing vindicator 240/244 112 lsa but research has led me to believe these may be on the larger side and more power can be made “under the curve” (and therefore possibly a quicker combo on the street) with a slightly smaller camshaft.

Any discussion or advice from previous experience would be great and I’m sure others may find it helpful also. If you can post hp/qtr figures with any particular combos that would also be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

I have the Lunati Voodoo 237/242 similar to the Texas Speed. With the stall, I wouldn’t worry about a smaller cam as you’ll be in the powerband when you want to be. Mine was behind a T56 and was a dog off the line. 2sec+ 60ft times but crossing the line at 115mph. If it doesn’t sell, it will be a similar stall to that listed but with a 4speed auto.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

If anyone wants to start a thread describing what exactly the numbers in a cam spec mean, I for one would like to read it :)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

when I eventually race my ute with heads and 215/223 cam I’ll let u know how it goes.

It it defiently feels faster on the street then my 12.2@114 VR.

If if I can nail my shifts I honestly believe it will go 11’s.

Profile photo of BLOWNVS
    BLOWNVS
    Participant

I have the Lunati Voodoo 237/242 similar to the Texas Speed. With the stall, I wouldn’t worry about a smaller cam as you’ll be in the powerband when you want to be. Mine was behind a T56 and was a dog off the line. 2sec+ 60ft times but crossing the line at 115mph. If it doesn’t sell, it will be a similar stall to that listed but with a 4speed auto.

Thanks for the reply TUFGMH. I take it your pistons didn’t require fly cutting? Did you shave the heads at all to raise compression? We really want to take advantage of some extra comp while having the heads off, just unsure of what we’ll get away with without flycutting. This is just a cheap little motor to get the car moving, will start to build a decent motor once this one is in and running.

Profile photo of BLOWNVS
    BLOWNVS
    Participant

when I eventually race my ute with heads and 215/223 cam I’ll let u know how it goes. It it defiently feels faster on the street then my 12.2@114 VR. If if I can nail my shifts I honestly believe it will go 11’s.

What heads are on it CAV? any extra comp in there? id be interested to see the timeslip once you’ve been.

p.s Are you keeping the Holden v8 in the vr when you upgrade from the 304?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

when I eventually race my ute with heads and 215/223 cam I’ll let u know how it goes. It it defiently feels faster on the street then my 12.2@114 VR. If if I can nail my shifts I honestly believe it will go 11’s.

What heads are on it CAV? any extra comp in there? id be interested to see the timeslip once you’ve been. p.s Are you keeping the Holden v8 in the vr when you upgrade from the 304?

Ported and Polished 241’s with chamber work also. Had .020 taken off the faces and .003 off the block. It’s had a freshen up.

I wouldn’t mind selling the 304. But too many morons wanted it for $2000. I’ll go racing once my diff is done and hopefully it will run 11.9x  then I’ll advertise it properly. I

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.