HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngine Conversions & EngineeringAftermarket sumps for LS conversion

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LF24 LF24 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey guys and girls,

im in need of a baffled sump for track work for my ls1 vs ute.  Been leaning towards the improved racing baffled sump but recently a couple of the s chassis conversion sumps have caught my attention.

these are the sumps I’ve been looking at:

improved racing baffled sump – http://www.improvedracing.com/baffled-pans/baffled-racing-oil-pan-for-ls1-pontiac-gto-vt-vz-commodore-p-85.html

sikky s chassis LS conversion sump – http://www.sikky.com/view_item.php?id=165&catid=13

canton s chassis LS conversion sump –  https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/product/15-276/15-276—GM-LS1LS6-5-58quot-DEEP-FRONT-SUMP-DRIFTROAD-RACE–PAN/

The sizes of the oil pans are as follows:

Canton – 5 5/8 deep by 6 ¾ long by 14” wide front sump</span>

Improved racing – 6.3″ deep by 10.81″ long by 8.44″ wide

Sikky – waiting on email back
    Im going to take some measurements tomorrow to see if the canton s chassis will fit.  Hoping it won’t be too wide.
    Anyone using a different sump to these feel free to throw some info up.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of LF24 LF24.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of LF24 LF24.
    Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

Just did some quick measurements while the car was still on the ground.  Looks like the canton sump might just fit, Sikky might be a better fit from what I’ve seen of both.  Will get the car up on stand to get some proper measurements this week.

a dummy block and k-frame would be handy right about now hahaha

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I run a Canton racing sump in mine.  Your talking an LS into VS?  Just be careful at the rear if its a remote filter style as they exit above the steering rack and you may have clearance issues.  I ended up having to design and make a custom oil pickup so I could bring the lines forward to my remote filter.  I am not at my main computer right now so I cant post pics, if you check out my build thread its in there.  I still had to modify my front K frame to clear it though.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Its page 3 post 438 in my build thread.

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah I’ve seen the one you use, that’s why I looked at canton.  Which sump exactly is yours Gary?  The s chassis conversion one looks like it might fit without modifying the k-frame hopefully.

Thinking about it I’m surprised someone hasn’t designed a sump for the vb-vs LS conversion.  It has become such a popular swap and it would solve one of the last clearance problems with the swap.

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

I have access to a few stock front hump sumps. Bought an asr trapdoor baffle kit to suit the early vt style sump and according to ASR you can fit a fair bit more in the stock sump before you have any issues. Also bought one of their modified windage trays to aid drain back. They claim you’ll actually pick up some power with their windage tray too though would be negligible I’d think.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

From what I have seen a lot of people now just trim back the stock sump corners and get them welded up.  you lose hardly any capacity and means you run a stock K member.  Ive been told a VY stock sump is pretty well baffled.

This is the sump I used, its  a beautiful piece of kit but the rear filter caused me some headaches as its right over the rack.  I ended up making up a nice custom stainless adapter, but was a lot of work.

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

The more and more I looked at your photos I realized that’s the S chassis LS swap sump your running Gary.  Quite a nice bit of kit but obviously doesn’t fit without modding the k frame.

Ive heard that about the VY sumps but good luck trying to find one unless someone’s parting out an engine.  They all sell them as VT-VZ sump and they have no idea which are what.  I looked at this option so I could just get the improved racing baffle as it only fits VY-VZ oil pan.  Their sump with the baffle is $1100 instead of $350 for just the baffle.

Those ASR baffles and windage trays look shmick as well and fit with the earlier sumps.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea agreed re if being hard finding a VY sump.  Definitely not a bad thing to have more oil volume either with an aftermarket pan if your racing it.  Keep us posted what you end up going for.  I have that thread on the VR/S LS Conversion, would be good if you find a pan that fits to post up the info in there to help others :-)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Being AWD makes it even harder… I baffled mine and run a 3 litre Accumulator just in case it surges..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Is that an Accusump IJ?  They are a nice bit of kit.

Profile photo of

Is that an Accusump IJ? They are a nice bit of kit.

Yeah it’s the Moroso Version, been running them since my old Rod Knock prone Toyota Supra days, haven’t lost an engine since!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’ll be running a VY/VZ sump with improved racing baffles and gates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile photo of

I’ll be running a VY/VZ sump with improved racing baffles and gates Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had that setup in the Supra with the L98/F body Sump, nice bit of gear the IR Baffle!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’ll be running a VY/VZ sump with improved racing baffles and gates Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that’s why we want to see a build thread started asap!!!

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

I havent checked what sump came on my ls1. Supposedly from a vy ute. Mate has a spare sump that came from a s2 vx. I’ll compare part numbers but he was giving me his sump anyway because he went to a mast motorsports sump.

ASR baffle and windage tray combined was still cheaper than inproved racing baffle setup.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Improved racing baffle is $350 from memory. The ASR setup is very much the same.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/parts-other-items-sale/112168-ls1-gen3-bolt-oil-control-kit-optional-mesh-windage-tray-upgrade.html

What ever I get cheaper I’ll prob run.

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Thought there was bit of price difference but maybe i was thinking buying sump and ip baffle vs asr stuff in stock sump.

Yeh at end of the day both should make decent improvement and by overfilling sump too should be fine.

Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

ASR Ls baffle kit and windage tray – $335.50

I also asked for an estimate on a custom built race baffled front sump ls1 pan.  Their reply was .. Our Comp pan for Commodore for e.g. is $1155

Looking at their gallery on their website they have photos of a Buick/ecotec V6 street comp pan that I would say would be pretty spot on sump shape wise for our application.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of LF24 LF24.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.