HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDriveline4l60e Thump when put in D/R

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of HDN05L HDN05L 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi guys after some advice.

When i put my vs auto box into drive or reverse it thumps and jumps forward in drive and backward in reverse.

I have checked fluid levels when hot and levels are all good, no burnt smell either.

I have jacked it up and put on stands to see what happens when i put in gear, it seems the wheels want to start spinning straight away.

Any ideas on what i could be checking?

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Does it have a shift kit? When my box was set up really aggressive it was like that but thats done with line pressure i think

munch munch ls1s for lunch
    Best 1/4 mile 13.1@105mph 60ft-1.8sec Reaction time .8 sec 0/100-4.8sec

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Dont think it has a shift kit.

Its not as bad when its been for a run and obviously warmed up a bit.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Might be worth giving some like Grant or Chris a call at Norwood Auto’s?  They are SA though, not sure who’s good where you are.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

In canberra Gary. Thanks

Profile photo of Hoopstar
    Hoopstar
    Participant

Grant’s doing my 4l60e trans for the VK as I type this.  I’ll pose the question to him when I pick it up tomorrow and let you know what he says HDN05L..

Paul

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Cheers Paul

Grant’s doing my 4l60e trans for the VK as I type this. I’ll pose the question to him when I pick it up tomorrow and let you know what he says HDN05L.. Paul

Thanks pual  :good:

Profile photo of Hoopstar
    Hoopstar
    Participant

I asked Chris from Norwood Automatics the question – he said it could be a jammed piston, broken piston spring or something caught in a ball check-valve…  Basically there isn’t one thing to look at.

In other news, I picked up my trans from the boys who once again looked after me – great price, great quality and great guys.  Pick up my converter next week too :)

For your trans, I think you’re going to need to get it into a trans shop so they can drop the pan off and take a look.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Hoopstar Hoopstar.
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Cheers Paul i think you might be right. Appreciate you looking into this.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

How old is the fluid? Just because it doesn’t smell burnt doesn’t mean it isn’t past due for a change.  Good fluid is pink in colour, by the time it’s a deep red colour it’s getting to the end of it’s service life.

Last time I had a transmission fully serviced (full flush fluid change) it was much smoother afterwards.

Play in the diff can also seem like a transmission issue, our old VS had a well worn single spinner that would thump bigtime in the mornings when going into reverse.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Check easy things to rule out first like engine mounts,trans mount,t/shaft uni & centre bearing then backlash of diff..all those can cause clunk.

After that start looking into auto…service can help if it hasnt been done in ages.

If it is inside the auto could be anything but hopefully a simple fix.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I asked Chris from Norwood Automatics the question ….great price, great quality and great guys. 

+1 for that, highly recommend to anyone in SA.  They build a pretty stout glide too :)

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

Have idle revs increased? A dirty TPS or similar could have brought revs up enough to be over a soft gear selection.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Will get the car back this weekend and start going over the tune and checking all these suggestions. Thanks for the advice guys.</p>

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.