This topic contains 34 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GRNMCHN GRNMCHN 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Narva*2010
    Narva*2010
    Participant
    Supporter

<span style=”color: #555555; font-family: Oxygen, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 20px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; background-color: #fbfbfb;”>Be gentle with that Z Grip until it’s replaced, when mine let go it destroyed the bell housing as in no bellhousing left – smashed starter, smashed block and sump, broken gearbox bosses, holes in fire wall , smashed inlet manifold, tore through brake lines ( no brakes) damaged wiring loom, blew a tyre out. But I do still have both feet !!!</span>

Fuk mate.  That’s insane.  You’re very very lucky!!

Profile photo of GRNMCHN
    GRNMCHN
    Participant

LPE LNC-003 being ordered this afternoon, and new 15×5 front steel wheels for front runner tyres also being ordered.

then to pull the box out and send clutch off to get rebuilt, and then hopefully time to go back on the dyno before the next round of racing… B-)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of GRNMCHN GRNMCHN. Reason: add pics
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

That’s insane. You’re very very lucky!!

Lucky most of it went down , one 6″ chunk of pressure plate was imbedded 2″ into the tar seal !

Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

LPE LNC-003 being ordered this afternoon, and new 15×5 front steel wheels for front runner tyres also being ordered. then to pull the box out and send clutch off to get rebuilt, and then hopefully time to go back on the dyno before the next round of racing…

That clutch isn’t rated for the kind of power your gonna make, ditch it, or sell it to someone with an NA setup.

Mine is not the only case of a granading Z Grip……

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Red1m8 Red1m8.
    Profile photo of GRNMCHN
    GRNMCHN
    Participant

I know it’s not what I need for what I’m expecting to make later, but I don’t expect to push much out of it till the end of the year.

i don’t have a problem with refurbing it now to last the rest of th year at what I’m making now, then get something better for more power later.

did it let go on a standing clutch drop? Or changing gears?

Part of the reason I want a 2 step is to have more power available lower in the rpm range, which means technicality less mass to control at launch, and smoother, less jolting shifts up gears to reduce issues with the box and clutch.

it sounds logical in my head anyway, but if anyone has some more info to discredit the logic I see, please share.

this clutch was still gripping awesome in 4th from standing starts on the road when the motor gave out, and that was on the clutch pad rivets…

Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

My clutch never slipped, just went bang .

A two step will produce boost off the line resulting in much more power and load being transmitted through the clutch and drive train especially on sticky tyres.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I know it’s not what I need for what I’m expecting to make later, but I don’t expect to push much out of it till the end of the year. i don’t have a problem with refurbing it now to last the rest of th year at what I’m making now, then get something better for more power later. did it let go on a standing clutch drop? Or changing gears? Part of the reason I want a 2 step is to have more power available lower in the rpm range, which means technicality less mass to control at launch, and smoother, less jolting shifts up gears to reduce issues with the box and clutch. it sounds logical in my head anyway, but if anyone has some more info to discredit the logic I see, please share. this clutch was still gripping awesome in 4th from standing starts on the road when the motor gave out, and that was on the clutch pad rivets…

logic = auto

Profile photo of GRNMCHN
    GRNMCHN
    Participant

so I ended up ordering both the MSD 8733 and the LPE made LNC-003 2 step modules.

should be here by end of next week, then I might plug them in one at a time and see which I feel works better.

also ordered more 3.5″ v-bands so I can make an entire exhaust system that is easy to take apart, seeing as I have next to no room where the dump pipe goes.

making it meet regulations for Red CentreNats in September…

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

Did you google which one to buy. I looked at them a while ago. 90% of the comments I found preferred one over the other.

Profile photo of GRNMCHN
    GRNMCHN
    Participant

Do you mean LPE units?

i bought the LNC-003 and the MSD.

i have read HEAPS of reviews on both, and couldn’t pick, so decided after a fuck around with LPE to buy the MSD one also.

I’ll probably just see which one works best for me and sell the other one.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

Lingenfelter vs msd. When I looked it up, one of them was more favoured over the other.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Those photos above of the clutch letting go are pretty much exactly what happened to mine years ago. In my case the car was a $26k total write off, I was lucky to not lose my feet…

Profile photo of GRNMCHN
    GRNMCHN
    Participant

So I bought an NPC clutch. Should be here by end of next week. Then maybe I can test out the 2 step and get some good 60′ times

Profile photo of GRNMCHN
    GRNMCHN
    Participant

new clutch is in and feels great so far, although have not been able to really test it out as yet.

2 step wired in also. it is LOUD when it pops though!!!!

:yahoo:

Profile photo of GRNMCHN
    GRNMCHN
    Participant

Went out to the drag strip and ran 11.29 @ 126mph. 1.5 60′ and 7.2 1/8th also.

2 step helps HEAPS with launch and shifts, as does the new clutch :)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.