HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngine308 v8, loads of questions

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VHSLE CRUISER
    VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

I’m wanting to tidy up, improve my engines performance/appearance and durability…apologies for this thread style :unsure:

PLEASE SEE MY PICS BELOW FOR CLARIFICATION

1 – The coil that I have would it be fine or worthwhile myself changing for a new style Bosch coil as my current one is oil filled ?

2 – I have a hose going from the rear of my rocker cover to the back of my carby, is ported vacuum or ?

3 – My fuel filter is located along the inside of the engine bay but thinking would it be work relocating further up close to the carby along the fuel line

4 – The breather hole at the front of the drivers side rocker cover going to the underside of the air filter is this needed ?

5 – What is that thing at the front of my intake manifold near the top radiator hose ?

6 – My Bosch dizzy, should I be using advance vacuum from the canister (manifold vacuum) ?

7. Dual return spring kits, are they more shown then necessity/peace of mind ?

Cheers,

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of VHSLE CRUISER VHSLE CRUISER.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of VHSLE CRUISER VHSLE CRUISER.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

More pictures :yahoo:

Cheers,

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of VHSLE CRUISER VHSLE CRUISER.
    Attachments:
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Hey,

1.Depends on how old it is.

2. It’s part of the PCV system.  not 100% sure if it’s ported or manifold vacuum.

3. doesn’t really mater much where it is located as long as the fuel is filtered.  put it where ever suits you best or looks better to you.  Personally I’d somewhere away from heat sources.

4. This is the fresh air source for the PCV system, yes if you want a legal car as the PCV system is part of the anti-pollution stuff.  Many do away with this stuff but for a run of the mill road engine may as well leave it in place.  Best bet would be to fit a catch can in the line referred to in Q2 as this is where most of the oil will enter the intake system.

5. Can’t see it properly in the pic but I think it might the the FPR (fuel pressure reg).  Follow the hoses and see what it is connected too.

6. Yes, it will improve how it drives when cruising.  There is a lot more to it but for a stock engine definitely.

7.I think it supposed to have a dual return spring, if one breaks then it has a back up, having a stuck open throttle is not a good thing!

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

1 – The coil that I have would it be fine or worthwhile myself changing for a new style Bosch coil as my current one is oil filled ?
    1.Depends on how old it is.

Its about 18mths old, would I get any benifit from changing to the new style coil ?

2 – I have a hose going from the rear of my rocker cover to the back of my carby, is ported vacuum or ?
    2. It’s part of the PCV system.  not 100% sure if it’s ported or manifold vacuum.

How can I tell if its ported or manifold vacuum ?

5 – What is that thing at the front of my intake manifold near the top radiator hose ?
    5. Can’t see it properly in the pic but I think it might the the FPR (fuel pressure reg).  Follow the hoses and see what it is connected too.

Ill see if i can see any marking/names on it, if its a fuel pressure regulator I may then see if i can changeover for something else but also in conjunction with a fuel pressure gauge

6 – My Bosch dizzy, should I be using advance vacuum from the canister (manifold vacuum) ?
    6. Yes, it will improve how it drives when cruising.  There is a lot more to it but for a stock engine definitely.

I know on the side of my dizzy, the vacuum canistor is just sitting there with no hoses connected to it, Is it as simplye as connecting a hole from the vacuum canistor to a inlet port
    on the base plate on my carby ?

Immortality
    Participant

It couldn’t hurt to throw a HEI type coil on it.  A lot of guys use the MSD Blaster type coils.

Most likely it is manifold vacuum.  Manifold or ported vacuum as far as I’m aware has to do with the relationship of the vacuum port to the throttle blade so that it only sees vacuum when the throttle blade opens past a certain point.  If the vacuum port is below the throttle blades than it will see manifold vacuum.

Yes, vacuum hose from carby base/plenum to vacuum canister.  With a vacuum source connected you will get more timing advance when cruising which should improve economy.  This is for a stockish engine of course, if it’s a built engine with a decent cam/compression then it may be a different story.

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

Here are more pictures of this at the front of my manifold.

If it is a regulator of some sort then its not connecting to anything…one end goes to hard line and the other end has thread but goes nowhere/tops as you can see.

Ill chase down were the hard line is going to later on the weekend.

Cheers,

Attachments:
    Immortality
    Participant

I wonder if that is the fuel flow meter for the dash so it can work out fuel usage.  Something that was fitted to SLE models.

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

Correct, I just read up and yes its a trip computer fuel flow sensor.

Mine isn’t even wired up, it seems its only going into what could be a fuel line (I may as well get rid  of this)

Appreciate all your help “Immortality” :-)

Cheers,

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of VHSLE CRUISER VHSLE CRUISER.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Immortality is a member of the CP+ brains trust  :yes:

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

If I disconnect the fuel vapor return line from the fuel flow sensor BUT without block the line, will fuel come out or ?

Cheers,

Attachments:
    Immortality
    Participant

Not sure TBH, is it connected to anything?  Is there any actual fuel flowing through the flow meter?

What is the other end of the vapour return line connected to?  If it goes back to the fuel tank then it shouldn’t be an issue.

VHSLE CRUISER
    Participant

At the fuel senor end other either side of it there is nothing connected to it not even power…

The only thing that is connected to it is a fuel vapour line…I have tried my best (laying under the car, level) to trace it back as far as I can and it seem to go into the fuel tank.

Cheers,

Immortality
    Participant

I’d say it would be safe to remove it.  Could always cap the breather line just to be safe :-)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.