HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngine304 crank info

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jlss jlss 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Hey guys just wondering I’ve had vibration in my car for a while and just recently took it to a workshop for a good look over check over the driveshaft and all and now apparently something more is wrong with my old girl I was told it could be the clutch flywheel or the crank??? Now I had some plans suspension and new set of wheels but now I’m guessing it might go out the window now what I would be up for price wise?? If its the crank should I just get the motor rebuilt or can the crank be re bent?

my thought was hopefully the flywheel out of balance a bit and shove the new clutch kit I’ve got through it and flywheel machined?? Anyway find out over the next few days hopefully???

thoughts???

Profile photo of Narva*2010
    Narva*2010
    Participant
    Supporter

What sort of vibration mate? Is it there at certain speeds or is it rpm related, under accel or decell? Not questioning  the diagnosis, but have you tried putting it in neutral at speed to let engine return to idle rpm?  May help in separating driveline vs engine vibration issues.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

yeah its not diff related cause no vibration when rolling down a hill at 80 in neatural. just there when its under load. im getting my new clutch put in so that will elliminate the clutch and flywheel so after monday i should know a bit more about whats going on. just hoping its not engine related. but that would give me a good reason to get the old girl rebuilt with some stonger internals.

also i dont give the car much of a hard time so i would be blown out if it was the crank.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Cranks and Flywheels don’t just go out of balance….

There has to be a root cause if they do as in some sort of failure.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Check the tail shaft and associated rubbers/mounts.

Xmember mounts.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

well all the bushes/mounts are fairly new and the tailshaft was reconditioned new centre bearing new unis and balanced seemed to be okay for a bit but then started a light shudder.

it only happens when you give it a boot but its noticeable. its at howell automotive down here in tassie they are pretty good from what ive had done there so far and the guys seem to think its the clutch or the flywheel but they were saying its a small chance it could be something bigger (crank slightly bent). i would of thought the car wouldnt drive but im no mechanic.

its definitly driveline related though.

thanks for offering info on the subject though. i would of thought someone else would of had this problem before?

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Well guys got a new clutch put in and flywheel machined apparently the balance was out slightly so it has helped and the unis in the shaft were worn a ill so had both replaced but its still there so getting the diff rebuilt next week with a new gear set new seals and lsd shimmed so that will eliminate the diff. And new engine mounts.

i seem to have a feeling that its the centre bearing and the tailshaft cv?? Because when the car is accelerating slightly you can feel a slight thud like slack is being taken up and again when you take your foot off the gas like the slack is being taken off.

so guys still unsure. :scratch:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.