This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

i have a mate whos looking to rebuild a engine for his HR Holden

the plan is to rebuild an Holden inline 6, currently a 161, but probably looking into a 186 or 202

car is an 3 speed manual, and for ease of fitment hes going to try and keep it with that gearbox

which engine blocks would be better to rebuild over others, what cams manufacturers other than crow cams are there for 186/202’s

and will the 3 speed manual last with a warm 202?

any input is appreciated

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Depends how far you want to go & budget.

That being said grabbing a blue 202 in good condition with electronic dissy,varajet carby would be a big step up over red 161 straight away.

Efi 202 are good fun even in standard form do decent skids

All it needs is sump mod to stop crank hitting pan,ign switch 12v mod for electronic dissy & extra wire for eleccy choke…change diff gears will go even better.

3 speed will last same as m20 as long as not a vulture…dunno if plan to stay column shift or floor lol.

All those above can be done cheap as chip if chase parts & do all the labour.

Only downside is some blokes pour thousands in then later wish had gone v8 so best to work out what owner really wants.

Had triple webbered solid cam 202,m20,3.9 geared lc gtr…was crazy fun to drive just too wild for streeter ended up efi 5l/getrag.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

not sure on budget, but i believe he intends to build it himself, to keep costs down

its a 3 speed manual column shift, again only for ease of re-fitment, the only other option he was looking at was a Trimatic, because he does have a couple of these from VK’s that we have parted out in the past but were not sure on the transmission tunnel clearances of a HR

i know he did want a bit of an idle to it, so he probably want something bigger than a stock cam, what brands are out there?

any idea how would a EFI 202 go with a larger cam? im guessing VK EFI was pretty well limited as far tuning goes

what mod is needed to stop crank hitting pan?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

The old Holden 6, those were the days…..

Over the years I have had/built a few.  Worth looking around for a Yella terra head or similar.  I had a crazy Waggot cam in my GTR, and triple Stombergs off an XU1 (wish I still had them!!), imo you cant beat that look.  If you want to stay away from efi and cant afford/find triples, a Holley 350 on a Cain manifold will liven it up. A high volume oil pump is s good addition.  Beware, some people just change the relief spring on a standard pump claiming its now high volume its not.  The only way to increase the volume of the pump is by fitting longer pump gears.  Some sort of electronic conversion on the distributor is worth it but not essential.  They are piss easy to build yourself, there is nothing to them.  I think you can get a Specco floor mount shifter for the 3 speed box btw, would look very cool :)

This was mine back in the day;

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter
    Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Get on gmh-torana site or oldholdens they still have a few 202 diehards left,tons of info & advice whatever the budget.

Or uber budget 202 red,161 hc head then buy all 2nd hand manifold/390 holley,etc

efi 202 can take a bigger cam,think similar to xu1 spec yet still run standard ecu..not ideal but ok.

pcmhacking has awsome info how to convert to delco using complete vn v6 setup or easier camira/pulsar delco & tune it yourself.

Something in sump,metal tab or sump base gets hit by blue motor crank …hammer work fixes it.

Lots of info there with those 3 sites to keep him busy for ages…best part more labour & parts chasing than $$$$

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of gtrboyy gtrboyy.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

no problem,  i’ll let him know

is it also true that EFI 202’s has stronger internals?

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

blue/black engines are better starting point for budget builds.

Efi 202 has most torque of all standard engines so they feel quickest hence the urban myths.But yeah they make carby 202 feel sluggish.

The cranks have better harmonics,slightly stronger rods but main thing is standard blue/black head works better for mild engine rather than spending coin on red head.

That being said if going all-out n/a dudes will get heavily port red head as they work can be opened up more to use with blue crank/rods or even heavier & stronger starfire rods…for street I’d just go lightest rods + stronger bolts.

I had red 202,40/80 solid,triple webbers etc

Stock rods are fine imho…main issue was flywheel coming loose buzzing it over 7k then extra torque ate m20 or would spit out banjo diffs.

Despite all the breakages learnt a lot from it & had most fun especially considering I’m injected 5l tragic lol

If you can chase down 2nd hand parts & do labour yourself you’d be surprised what can be done cheaply.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of gtrboyy gtrboyy.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Btw, would really love to follow a build thread when you build the engine, would love to follow along, or of course juts keep this one going. :good:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.