This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Darren Darren 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

I first purchased the car as a stock 4.2L 4 speed ‘XV2’ back in early 2001 from a panel beater in Brighton- right down to the original 14 inch Cheviot wheels. Body was good, fairly fresh paint job (albeit a fairly ordinary paint job…) Mechanics were junk, interior was a miss-mash. End of 2001 it drove out of the garage ‘complete’…. But of course we all know a car enthusiasts car is never complete So it’s had a lot of improvements since. So without further-ado…. let me introduce to you my pride & joy!

Model: 82 VH SS Commodore
    Engine: Holden EFI 5.0L, balanced, ACL pistons, Crow Cam/valve springs, Rollmaster double row timing chain, Y/T roller rockers, Trickshift TTB intake manifold, Bosch 044 fuel pump, Kalmaker SP3 ECU, tuned by Paramount Performance
    Gearbox: Borg Warner T5 5 speed & RPM H/D clutch
    Exhaust: Pacemaker headers, 3 inch single exhaust, resonator
    Suspension: Koni adj shocks f&r, front ‘coil overs’ and adjustable rear spring platforms with King 350lb(F)/275lb(R) springs, whiteline sway bars, kmac camber adjusters, adjustable castor rods, rose joint adjustable ‘anti-bump steer’ tie rod ends, nolathane bushes (offset front lower control arm bush) adjustable panhard rod, adjustable rear upper control arms, strut brace
    Brakes: VN Grp A 330mm front rotors & twin spot calipers, Grp A ventilated rear discs & calipers
    Rear Axle: 10 bolt Salisbury 3.08 LSD
    Wheels: 16×7 ‘Walkinshaw’, 225/50/16 Toyo R1R Proxes tyres
    Interior: recovered dash, re-trimmed velour door cards and rear seat in original ‘dark claret’, VS front door speaker pods, Cobra Daytona front seats, Momo wheel, electronic VDO speedo
    other mods: VN 80L fuel tank, oil catch tank/seperator, fuel surge tank, VS steering rack & k-frame, battery in the boot, 120A alternator
    power: 275 rwhp
    future mods: COME 590 alloy heads????, 3.36 or 3.55 diff gears with true-trac centre, full body respray

• This topic was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Darren Darren.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Darren Darren.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Darren Darren.
    Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

a couple of videos from a ‘Sports Driver Training’ day at Morgan Park raceway last Saturday

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Driven not hidden, used but not abused, exactly how a car should be!! Great stuff (and welcome!!)

Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

Mint vh daz. Has the 5 speed given you any trouble at all?

Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

Driven not hidden, used but not abused, exactly how a car should be!! Great stuff (and welcome!!)

thanks mate
    yeah totally agree with your philosophy. It’s no longer my daily drive, but it regularly comes out for the fun stuff and isn’t shy of a drive. Stone chips all over it from track days and general driving, but I’d rather that than just sitting it in a garage looking pretty. We’ve got to enjoy all the time & money we put into our cars!

We did took it out for  a good drive through the mountains with the car club about a month ago, the ‘All Aussie Day’ happy laps at Lakeside a few weeks ago, out to Morgan Park raceway for some more serious laps last weekend, and on Sunday we are off to Byron Bay for another car club cruise. Fuel bill is starting to kill me, so she might have to get parked up for a short while again ;)

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Darren Darren.
    Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

Mint vh daz. Has the 5 speed given you any trouble at all?

it’s been gold!
    I actually bought it brand new nearly 20 years ago now for my previous 308 VH
    It did around 60-80,000km in that car. I then swapped it into the SS when I bought it in 2001. It’s done around the same in this car. It’s killed a few clutches in that time, but the trusty T5 has held on without as much as a complaint. I’ve changed the oil a few times, that’s about it.

So yeah, no complaints, it’s been a really good box. If I ever kill it, I’ll go with a TKO

Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

Cheers for that, I was just curious as I’m going to do an efi 5 ltr conversion with a 5 speed manual into the bt1 when I get a bit of free time. Will just be for cruising so should be a good little box for what I need.

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Beautiful car mate, VH SS is one early girl I certainly wouldn’t complain about having in the garage, love the track orriented build too!

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

as always love the car dazz!

I’m surprised the t5 has taken all the use on track days?!

Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

Beautiful car mate, VH SS is one early girl I certainly wouldn’t complain about having in the garage, love the track orriented build too!

thanks mate, it’s a big compliment to know others can appreciate all the work & passion gone into this car.
    I first started watching motor racing back when Brock was racing the VC. The Marlboro VH was my favourite. Sat in a brand new red VH SS at the Brisbane Motorshow when I was an 11 year old kid, vowed to my old man that I would one day own one. Not only have I accomplished that childhood dream, but I guess I’m also trying to re-live a little bit of the Grp C days in this car. The ‘XV2’ SS was the lightweight ‘performance taxi pack’ car built specifically with Bathurst in mind. I still get goosebumps watching and listening to that awesome sound of the Holden V8 in the old footage of the Grp C’s at Bathurst. Setting this car up with some similar specs as those cars and taking it to some of the iconic tracks they raced like Lakeside & Bathurst is my way of reliving those memories :)

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Darren Darren.
    Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

as always love the car dazz! I’m surprised the t5 has taken all the use on track days?!

thanks AJ, love your VC as well
    The T5 isn’t anywhere near as fragile as people tend to think.
    Much of it comes down to how you treat it. You can drive it hard without hurting it, just don’t abuse it I guess. I don’t get into the burnouts or smashing gears, so it has served me well. I have no doubt it will eventually give in, but considering it’s now done around 150-160,000kms of medium to hard driving, I think I’ve more than got my moneys worth

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.