This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hello all, well I have to say very very excited to be given my Dads 1950 MGTD and be able to bring it home today.  He started the restoration about 10 years ago but unfortunately his health means he cant finish it, so he has passed it onto me.  I would say its maybe 75% done, just really needs all the mechanicals sorted and bits and pieces fitted etc.  He rebuilt the engine and it purrs like a kitten, but its brakes etc.  Not going to be a concourse resto, just really want to get up and driving and enjoy it.  And most importantly take him for some drives in it.  In my eyes anyway just a beautiful, usable classic.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

Your old man has great taste in cars Gary.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I agree, a few years back he owned two E Type Jags, one was a series one hardtop that was mostly finished, I did the wiring conversion for him, he did all the machining etc to make it RHD.  But he also had a series 1 convertible that was a total basket case.  I could have bought them both from him for $20k but at the time had no money :negative:

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

Yea I agree, a few years back he owned two E Type Jags, one was a series one hardtop that was mostly finished, I did the wiring conversion for him, he did all the machining etc to make it RHD. But he also had a series 1 convertible that was a total basket case. I could have bought them both from him for $20k but at the time had no money

Hindsight is a bitch!

My old man has a 65′ HD Station wagon that we cruise around in every summer. While it’s no E Type,  I told him he is to hold onto that for as long as he is alive.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I totally get that, nothing can replace those memories.  Funny how those older station wagons have become so cool.  All they need is to be lowered a little and they are cool as imo.  I have just always had this desire to have a small collection of usable cars to enjoy.  Once they are done, the Senator, MG and Kombi are almost all I want.  The other car I have always lusted after is a 64/5 Corvair, but that may have to wait. Then I sort of have a range of cars depending on the day/cruise whatever.  Cars are an addiction…

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Really nice car, 3 projects on the go you are keen :)

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

Yea I totally get that, nothing can replace those memories. Funny how those older station wagons have become so cool. All they need is to be lowered a little and they are cool as imo.

I’m amazed at how many people go crazy when they see it cruising down the street. He just picked up a 85′ F100 for his next project, so I think you and him are on the same page of having a usable car collection.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Really nice car, 3 projects on the go you are keen

Yea I know, but the Senator really should be a done deal soon, and I am happy to put the Kombi on the back burner whilst I finish off the MG.  But yea my family has a history of too many unfinished projects so I want to try and stay focused  :wacko:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So making a start on the brakes. Thought I would pull off and check, clean, paint and reassemble each wheel one at a time. Already learning a few MG specific things to know. But the left rear is almost done.  Have to say brakes have got to be about the least enjoyable and dirty part of a build. But they are kinda important!

Also spent a while fitting the running boards, and also removed the radiator cowl as it needed adjusting to get the bonnet fitting correctly.  As this car is close to 70 years old, and they were a hand made budget sports car, there is lots of varaibility in panel gaps et that apprently is justpart of the deal.

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

Looks like a fantastic project.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea its a lot of fun, lots of fiddly jobs to do, but slow and steady wins the race!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s the 4 brakes done.  Its like Antarctica in Adelaide today!  Had to take one front side off as a pair as I just couldn’t break the drum from the hub, then used my press and got them apart, they had lightly rusted together.

The brakes, pads etc actually look good. So have cleaned them all up with a rotary wire brush and hit then with some black paint. So that’s all four brakes, cleaned, checked, bearings re-greased, and adjusted.

On the list is buying a full set of the countersunk drum screws, they are all massing, also a pair of front hub dust covers, again they are missing, and I will keep an eye out for a replacement rear hub/drum of the correct year (one is an older model) but that can wait until one pops up.

Next on the agenda is finishing off the pedal assembly, then bleeding the brakes and replacing the fluid.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So turns out the there is a company called Moss in the UK who specializes in period MG parts etc.  So made up a bit of a list of some of the parts I need and they arrived today.  Never ceases to amaze me how bloody slow our postal service is, I regularly receive stuff from overseas in half the time Aust Post takes, hopeless.  But anyhow that gives me some stuff to press on with on the weekend.  Also off to my first Gawler Vintage Veteran and Classic Car Club meeting tonight to join up.  That’s the first step in getting it registered.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, that was a long day for not too much to show for it!  It was missing the 5 countersunk screws that hold the brake drums to the hubs. Lots of the fasteners on the car re very off ball.  It was made that not long after the second world war so stuff was still hard to get.  Morris had actually bought some french fastener company, so some of the screws are actually metric threads n imperial stock.

But I managed to find some of the correct 5/16 BSF screws but they were 3/4″ long not 1/2″. So I spoke to Dad and gave me a great little tip about slitting a nut to use as a collet so I could cut them down on the lathe. (helps having a Dad who’s a toolmaker!!)

Then, of course, the threads in the hub were rusted. So I managed to find a machine tool shop down that had the 5/16″ BSF tap. Hour round trip and chased out all the threads, So that pretty close to a days work just to fit the screws for the brake drums :) But all good now and that’s all 4 wheels done, so next will be to make sure all the pedal assembly is correct, then bleed the brakes etc.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Now the Senators up and running I can turn my attention to this again.  I really love this little car, its just so awesome in so many ways.  Matt was over so I got a chance to putt it up on the hoist and bleed the brakes.  I had rebuilt the 4 corners just hadn’t had a chance to bleed it.  Bled up perfectly, and has a great brake pedal.  Pretty happy with that.

Put some new clean fuel in it, dash in the air cleaner and it fired up straight away, running absolutely sweet.  Had it up on the hoist and ran it through the gears, there looks to be some issue I reckon with the tail shaft.  So I think that might need removing and checking over.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Now I have my shed done, I can move the Senator out, and get this little think up on the hoist.  I have it running really nicely, but I need to sort the issue which is either a uni joint problem on the tail shaft or could even possibly be flat spots on the tyres given it’s been sitting o long.  But I want to get it mechanically sorted, then ist just the wiring and I should be good to have a crack at rego.

Starts pretty good for 70 year old car :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Got a lot done on the wiring, its hitting 40 out there today so might be the end of shed work.

Drive line issue turned out to be this tiny single bolt that literally is the rear trans mount.  Bit of a step down from the 454!!  Dug out the old service manual Dad gave me with the car, man I miss those days, the books a work of art!!  Took it for a sneaky little drive up the road by me and back, what a fantastic little thing to drive.  Already getting thumbs up from people going past.

Got the head lights, side lights, rear tail lights, and number plate lights working.  Looks like the brake pressure switch that activates the brake lights might be faulty, so I that’s got to come from the UK.  Also have fitted rear indicators,and they are all wired up and working.  I just need to sort some sort of indicator stitch.  These cars you sit so close to the steering wheel there is no room behind to put a normal style indicator stalk, so its something on the dash.

But good fun.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Big update, super proud to say that I managed to get this through Regency, and is now back on the road where it belongs!!  Just an amzing machine, so much fun to drive.  So doig bits and pices slowly bringing it back to a standard I am happy with.

Got a heap of bits and pices on order, just recieved an electonic iginition conversion kit to do away with the points, but still look fcatory.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.