HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 887 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dave dave 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 881 through 888 (of 888 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Needs more cruise pics…

Got another one coming up in a few weeks, I’ll try to get more then, plus some driving videos.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Went out for a quick drive the other weekend, just locally cause I hadnt driven it in a little bit and felt like a few laps. Was driving down the road a block from my house, heard and felt a clunk from the front left and the steering wheel went funky. Was only doing about 40 at the time, luckily. Pulled over and the front wheels were cross-eyed. Drove it back home and whacked it back in the garage, didnt get a look at it cause it was Sunday evening.

Anyhow, I got it up on stands yesterday and the passenger side ball joint has popped out of the lower control arm. From memory, it wasnt held in really tight when I put the front end together, so it the arm itself is probably a little flogged out, so I’ll be getting a new one. Will do the drivers side as well, cause it’d be my luck it will happen again. Luckily it happend locally and not on the freeway.

Also noticed some marks on the passenger brake disc. The wheel bearing has some play in it so I think it has rubbed on the disc, so I’ll get it skimmed at the local brake shop. Will also get the bearing looked at, I might not of tightened the nut enough, hopefully it isnt stuffed.

I’m thinking about changing wheels as well. Looking at some 17×4 chaser front runners and 15×8 rears, I like the tough pro-street look, but dont have a spare $5k for a set of Welds.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Mine developed a bit of front end “funkiness” after maybe 500ks.  Turned out I got all the suspension parts powder coated and with use, the powder coating settled and the bolts went loose.  I think its part of builds like this to every now and then go and check everything is tight.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

High powercars do that, my Supra used to try to revert to kit form after a dyno session, one word… Loctite.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Swapped out the lower control arm and got a wheel alignment done. It had a little too much camber so rotated the strut tops and it’s as close as it can be without changing to adjustable strut tops. Also finally got the steering wheel straight, that’s been shitting me for ages haha

Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant

Hi, I asked about fuel pump setups for early commodore other day. You replied you fitted VN tank with after market walbro pump that works well. Did the VN tank fit straight in? Did you modify the pump pick up area in the tank at all?

Dave

Heron SSV
    Participant

Hi Dave, the VN tank fits straight in, just need to cut about 50mm off the bottom of the filler neck so the top fits in properly. To fit the Walbro in the factory hanger I just had to cut the bottom round bracket off the hanger cause the head of the Walbro pump is bigger than the factory VN one, then used a hose clamp to attach the new pump. The whole lot sits in the standard swirl pot inside the tank.

Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant

Ok. Thanks for that info. Think I will chase up a VN, VP tank and go that way as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 881 through 888 (of 888 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.