HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralECU & TuningWiring a second Diagnostic plug

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris (agentcrm) Chris (agentcrm) 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris (agentcrm)
    Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

As the title suggests, I need to add a second diagnostic plug. I’m 99% finished an L67 conversion into my VR, I’m using the VS loom & computer meaning I can’t read the ECU through the standard plug. I went an aftermarket chip to avoid doing this so soon but the speedo is so far out it’s rediculas. (60 is 80 of the dial)

So how do I do this or do I need to get a BCM simulator?

Profile photo of delcowizzid
    delcowizzid
    Participant

You should be able to match up the wires at the under dash plug that joins engine loom to dash loom and have the stock diagnostic socket work as normal.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Now that I think of it, I am pretty sure that’s the way mine is wired.

Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant

Should not be too hard. Pretty sure only 4 wires needed in the 16 pin data link connector. 12 volt power pin 16 and an earth pin 4 or 5 and the GMLAN Serial Data Bus+ pin 6 and GMLAN Serial Data Bus- pin 14.

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

Right, so I’ve got EFI live V4 working, but not Tunerpro that I need to adjust the speedo.

Are there different VSS drive that would throw the Speedo out?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Where’s Dan (VPGTS76) when you need him :)

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

yeah, speedo’s out by 33% out with 215 R15. Probably closer to 40% with 205 R15.

delcowizzid
    Participant

Is the speed out due to diff gears if so jaycar Speedo corrector or similar inline from ecu to dash is the fix

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

It shouldn’t be, though I didn’t think of that. I did change diffs but it should have been a 3.08 High performance I pulled out of a wreck when I ditched the sunroof. Though using a speed / gear calculator I’m not sure it’s different.

If I need an adjuster box I’ll need to put it before the ECU so that see’s the correct speed as well.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Isn’t speed ratio easily adjusted in the ECU, or am i missing something?

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

Yup, takes 20 seconds. If I could get my tuning program to work with either of the 2 cables I have.

EFI live V4 doesn’t have tuning capability which is a pain as I got that working the other day. Tunerpro has always been a pain to get working but it’s free.

Kalmaker doesn’t seem to be an option as I don’t want to be spending $$$$ to fix 1 cars ECU.

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

Progress, ish.

I remembered about a bunch of data files I had for Tunerpro from the OSE plug in. Loaded them in and managed to get the Data acquisition side kinda working. gauges where bouncing around all over the place but that’s about all I’ve ever had them doing.

Still no luck getting the tuning side working

delcowizzid
    Participant

Vs ecu just passes speed data straight through the ecu to dash just fit the corrector inline after ecu and the box will shift normal but Speedo will read correct.if you fit it before ecu you shifts will need tuning

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

Almost, except my issue isn’t just the speedo itself reading wrong. I’ve used EFI Live to read a full dash straight from the diagnostic plug, as I was wondering if it was an issue in the dash itself. It isn’t, the ECU output was out by 33%

Also you can change the road speed in the bin file.

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

Something similar to progress.

I got the OSE Flash tool working and managed to download the BIN & CAL files. I just can’t upload the modded files back to the memcal. I’ve messaged Mace via fb as it’s one of their memcals. I was also hoping to get the files from the stock chip but no luck there.

Profile photo of VPGTS76
    VPGTS76
    Participant
    Supporter

HI MAte,

ONLY LSx ECU can adjust speedo….

VN- VP Direct feed

VR  + Pass thru unless its LSx

I am tipping new diff has 3.9 as that would make it 30% out.

Jaycar box is the way to go put it on the Purple / white wire on dash side of plug.

Also to get OBD2 plug going ensure black/ red (Diag Port DATA    ECU = A8)  and white /  black ( Diagnostic Port   ECU = A9)  wires on ecu loom and main loom line up. balance of wires are part of dash loom.
    Thanks

Daniel

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of VPGTS76 VPGTS76.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of VPGTS76 VPGTS76.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

3.9’s would put it out the other way though. Rev’s way higher for speed. Mines low revs massive speed, my commute spends half it’s time at 90kph (2200rpm, 120 kph on the speedo) and the revs match the old diff at that speed.

In the bin files there is the option to change the road speed calculation, if I could get writing working.

Tried the Jaycar box, couldn’t make the stupid thing work and my gear shifts are still out anyway.

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

I bought a new VSS and fitted that at lunch time. No change, so either I’ve got a 2.3:1 diff, the memcal isn’t programmed correctly or the VSS wheel on the gearbox shaft is wrong…..

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

Ok, time to eat my own typing.
    I just looked on the ” Unofficial Holden Commodore  archive”

I was asuming 4th was 1:1 not 0.7:1 overdrive. running the new gear ratio through Osella’s gear ratio calculator that means I have a 3.9:1 diff. I think I’ll put the old diff back in as I only changed it to get an LSD centre, at least for the time being.

Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

Well the old Open (unfortunately) diff is back in and the speedo is back to where it should be. :D :yahoo:

Not sure yet what I’ll do LSD wise yet. Torquetrac (Trutrac knockoff?? or at the same type), KAAZ or another factory cone type.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.