HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralBrakesWillwood Brake set up

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bigboyVKLS
    bigboyVKLS
    Participant

Hello, I was noticed Willwood brake setup is not Australia Standard Design (ADR) because no dust seal ?? but its okay to use them ?

what is the best brake setup ?

looking around on Willwood for my VK as the link below…

http://www.rodshop.com.au/holden/hd-hr-holden-wilwood-280mm-4-piston-disc-brake-conversion-for-disc-brake-stub-axles-1562.html

thanks

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not sure about the other states but my engineer here in S.A. had no issue with them at all.  On mine (VR) I used the set up made for the 2004 GTO (VZ) over there.  6 piston fronts, 4 piston rears, they are awesome brakes.

bigboyVKLS
    Participant

Yea sound like I have to find an engineer guy and chat with them about it..

Thanks for advise and will look at …

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 9002A using Tapatalk

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Wilwoods are rubbish.

You should buy my brakes. So you can fund my wilwoods….

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

I spoke to 3 different engineers across 3 states. 2 said “show me where it says you need a dust seal”

bigboyVKLS
    Participant

I spoke to 3 different engineers across 3 states. 2 said “show me where it says you need a dust seal”

its one out of 3 states is Victoria ??  sound like dont need an dust seal to pass for engineers .. haven’t find an engineers for myself..

yea Im still looking for good brakes not like VT twin brake..

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of bigboyVKLS bigboyVKLS.
    Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

I’ve never seen a pic of these brakes to suit early commodores. Obviously these don’t come certified like some other packages?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I think the whole “certified” thing is a bit of a misnomer.  Plenty of cars running around the streets of Aus with Wilwood brakes, completely legal.  I mean I am running a 454ci, in a VR, Willwood brakes (no dust seals), different trans, suspension, fuel tank bla bla, all completely totally legal.  I did have to firstly convince the engineer all the changes were well thought out and well executed, then I did have to pass some dynamic tests, emissions etc.  My engineer (I think like many others) was more concerned with how the car performed as a whole package than any individual element of it.

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

What i mean is, being legal without an engineers certificate. Some kits when i was looking a long time ago, came with approval.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^thats an interesting one, I reckon that is going to vary state to state alot.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

its one out of 3 states is Victoria ?? sound like dont need an dust seal to pass for engineers .. haven’t find an engineers for myself.. yea Im still looking for good brakes not like VT twin brake..

Was actually an engineer in NSW that said they needed to have the dust seals.

You can get Wilwoods with dust seals though. My front and rears both have dust seals. Rears also have a built in handbrake into the caliper. Engineered 35 spline full floaters and Wilwoods with a handbrake FTW.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Michael Michael.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

its one out of 3 states is Victoria ?? sound like dont need an dust seal to pass for engineers .. haven’t find an engineers for myself.. yea Im still looking for good brakes not like VT twin brake..

Was actually an engineer in NSW that said they needed to have the dust seals. You can get Wilwoods with dust seals though. My front and rears both have dust seals. Rears also have a built in handbrake into the caliper. Engineered 35 spline full floaters and Wilwoods with a handbrake FTW.

you make me sick hahaha

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.