HomeForumsGeneralThe Pool RoomWhat does everyone do?

This topic contains 99 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Steve blk_vk_calais Steve blk_vk_calais 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

Sell finance for the commonwealth bank

Been there…..done that. Thankfully I saw the light before I was sent to Graylands.

i work for myself and sub contract to the bank so it’s not that bad

Profile photo of Piston 304
    Piston 304
    Participant

Apprentice light vehicle mechanic at Toyota.

Profile photo of monkey
    monkey
    Participant

Gday everyone. Im a boilermaker / fitter currently working as a maintenance fitter.

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

Something a little different, I’m a high school HPE teacher. My dream from school was to be a professional wakeboarder which I’m still chasing! (Building cars doesn’t help this haha)

haha no joke, cant board and build cars! Been there, tried both! Prety sure most wakeboarders catch the bus haha

Profile photo of Carl
    Carl
    Participant

I used to work for KTM Australia, then changed jobs, now parts guy at Mack/Volvo in Perth. Nothing glamorous, but pays the bills.

Profile photo of vspete
    vspete
    Participant

I am very dissapointed, I was speaking to Tracy Grimshaw on the week end and she told me all car enthusiasts were bogan wankers who were on the dole, you guys seem way too cultured to be hoons

Wouldnt waist my breath on that moll She has something against car people

Have to agree bitch :good:

Profile photo of Armbar
    Armbar
    Participant
    Supporter

I’m a Chippie.

Profile photo of Smitty
    Smitty
    Participant
    • Melbourne
    • GEN-F R8 SV340 HSV Tourer, VK club touring race car and Kwaka ZX12R

• View build HERE

.. what do I do?

well after getting 96% for accounting in high school
    (and 90 for Economics, 51 for English but failed maths and physics in Year12)
    I thought I would be an accountant :yahoo:

Then after 2 Uni degrees (Business and IT) and 40 years of working in finance for real businesses (ya.. know places that MAKE THINGS!  …like GMH, Cadburys, Dunlop)  I now work for a medium sized Australian owned business (500 employees etc)  making a large range of water control devices. I am in charge of the administration of the 8 ! factories in Australia (3 in Qld and 5 in Victoria). Funny thing is I don’t do much actual accounting these days ( as I work alongside theNational Operations Director)

I don’t have a job title (my business card just has my name and contact details) and I don’t have a job description.

I work for the Finance Director who has told me my job is (just 3 words) – MAKE IT HAPPEN  :good:

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Smitty Smitty. Reason: spelling
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Smitty Smitty.
    Profile photo of Claude2012
    Claude2012
    Participant

Have worked in electronic security for the past five years on the wholesale side, cameras, alarms and access control.

Was a locksmith for 15 years cracking safes, making keys to cars etc.

Like the electronic security more, changes every few months with new technology.

"If your going through hell, keep going!"

Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

Did my apprenticeship as a mechanic at a Holden dealer, spent about another 10 years in the trade. Got to road test a few brand new VL Walkinshaws and VN Grp A’s, which was fairly awesome, especially for an apprentice who was a huge Commodore fan. That was about the only perks of an otherwise unrewarding career.

Worked in a few other crappy little jobs after that, trying to get off the tools.Spent a few years working as motor assessor for IAG Insurance (NRMA, CGU)

For the last 7 years I’ve worked for the Qld Govt as a Dept of Transport  ‘Transport Inspector’
    Spend a fair bit of time away from home working an area the size of NSW and some horrible shifts. But overall, not a bad job :)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Darren Darren.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Darren Darren.
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Something a bit different for ya,

I’m a print finisher by trade, basically I make books.  I wanted to be and studied at school to be a pilot but was turned down by the airfarce because I was to tall.  I did do some private flying in my younger days, both powered and gliders.  Hope to get back into aviation one day if funds allow.

Been in the printing trade on/off (mostly on) for over 20 years, working in production now but maintenance before that.  Have also done some studies in electronics and electrical.

My job is a total head fuck but it pays reasonably for now, I am always looking for other opportunities as printing is a dying trade + our company is always looking to save costs and there first port of call is always to try and screw the staff some more.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I am always looking for other opportunities as printing is a dying trade

I reckon the pace of change due to technology is picking up if anything not slowing down.  This is going to happen more and more imo..

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Yep, it’s even happening within printing.  Much more automated shit etc.

Was discussing it with someone else the other day.  10 years ago, monthly periodical (~450,000 copies), job would take 3-4 days, was done over 3-4 machines with each machine having an operator and 4-5 staff.  I now do that same job on one machine in the same time frame with only myself and 2-3 staff!

I do a lot of magazine work and each month we watch the run quantities come down.  The above job was ~450,000+ copies for the North island only 10 years ago, last month it was ~399,000 for the whole on NZ……..

It scares me to a degree, a lot of people are employed in manual labour jobs today, many jobs that are disappearing on a daily basis, what are these people going to do to make a living? Really gotta wonder what the next generation is going to do.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea it is a little scary, but I guess its the guys that keep up with the changes that will come out in front.  I remember us chatting about the decline in print back when we were on SC, and how the magazine had gone down in quality but some suggested it was due to falling revenue from advertising etc.  Not sure if its more me getting older, or its a fact, but it just seems to me the pace of change in many industries is quickening.  When I left my trade and started drafting it was manually on a drawing board.  Then AutoCAD 2D came along, then mechanical desktop 3D, then Inventor.  Nowadays it does blow my mind the power in products like Inventor & SolidWorks that only a  few years ago were only in platforms like ProE etc.  But as i say keep up or get out I think is the only option…

Profile photo of BT1SS
    BT1SS
    Participant
    Supporter

Electrician In gas and mining.

Profile photo of vspete
    vspete
    Participant

Spare Parts for Dealer

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey all Carpenter was what I wanted to do from the age of seven dad was a builder hve been doing it for 21 years self employed for the last 10 years , looking at training for a sparky next year don’t want to be swinging a hammer when i’m older , awesome trade that fact I built my owe home :good:

Profile photo of Steve blk_vk_calais
    Steve blk_vk_calais
    Participant
    • Ferntree gully
    • Back vk calais with efi 5LT VR HSV enhanced calais daily 2015 ford ranger work rig

• View build HERE

Hey all well

im a qualified Sparkie n bit of jack of all trades  been qualified for about 6 years now

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Seems to be a few sparkies on here…

Profile photo of Steve blk_vk_calais
    Steve blk_vk_calais
    Participant
    • Ferntree gully
    • Back vk calais with efi 5LT VR HSV enhanced calais daily 2015 ford ranger work rig

• View build HERE

Yea there is a lot of us around

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.