This topic contains 26 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of 8you4t 8you4t 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

Hi guys

How do you remove bore water stains from your windows?

The wife went away with here family for a week to robe and she had parked the car on the grass at the caravan park. Next morning when she went to hop in an go for a drive t she could not see a thing through the front windscreen and she had noticed that the sprinklers were on during the night but thought nothing of it.

She tried to give it a clean but it would not come off so she asked the caravan owner about it and he said it was bore water. He gave her a couple of options to try and clean it but nothing would remove it, the only thing that made it a little better to see so she could drive home was vinegar but that hardly did anything either.

Its really pissing me off I cant remove it.

So has anybody got any suggestion on how to clean it off?

Cheers guys

Profile photo of SSN8TD
    SSN8TD
    Participant

Can you put up a photo of it? has it dried like a clear milky stain? have you tried windex?

Also what about the paint?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of SSN8TD SSN8TD.
    Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

Don’t have a pic at the moment but can get one tomorrow . Yeah it’s dried like you have said. Have used vinigar, windscreen cleaner, I have a heavy duty windscreen cleaner that I got from a tint king shop here in town and that don’t even work. I reckon it would be on the paint also but I can’t really see it as its a silver metallic colour. Forgot to put its on a VE lumina.

Profile photo of 8you4t
    8you4t
    Participant
    • Victoria
    • C63 Amg/ Mk4 golf gti/ Ml w163 320 Mercedes Amg pack/ Audi a4 Quattro turbo man/ Wh gen 3/ Vt Calais/ Porsche boxter S / Ba futura (soon to have turbo xr6 motor)/ 2006 RX8

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate , we come across this alot in our detail shops … Water spots can be caused by a number of things , recycled water (grey water eg car wash) bore water (mineral rich) acid rain (fall out) and t he list goes on.

We use a number of products that are trade only , but there is an off the shelf Product that will work just fine , Spot X is a cutter that can be used for removing imperfections to paint and glass !!!

First thing to do is to clean the glass very well , being that the spots haven’t cooked onto the glass for ages you won’t/shouldn’t have to use much pressure with cutter …

Make sure to use a micro-fibre cloth , apply spot x to cloth and in a circular motion work it on the glass … Do one window at a time .

Once you have applied to window , wash it off … Dry and see how it worked , it may need another go , better to start soft and work with that then go hard and cause more damage !!!!

This system is used by us every day … It’s proven to work , granted We do use machines on badly stained , sand blasted ,or scratched glass … Though this is over kill for your situation !!!

Let us know how you go …

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of 8you4t 8you4t.

If you don't believe in something .... You'll fall for anything

Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

8you4t that’s exactly what info I was after. Where can I get this spot x product from? Ill defiantly let you know how I go. Thanks again

Profile photo of 8you4t
    8you4t
    Participant
    • Victoria
    • C63 Amg/ Mk4 golf gti/ Ml w163 320 Mercedes Amg pack/ Audi a4 Quattro turbo man/ Wh gen 3/ Vt Calais/ Porsche boxter S / Ba futura (soon to have turbo xr6 motor)/ 2006 RX8

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Spot x is av at super cheap , autobarn , repco … Any auto store

Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

Cheers mate ill grab some tomorrow.

Profile photo of 8you4t
    8you4t
    Participant
    • Victoria

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just as a warning , I suggest using a spray bottle with water as a ‘safety net’ to lessen the cutting affect … It’s hard for me to judge stains vs pressure on here , it will take longer but will save your arse . So wash glass , dry then spray an even mist of water on window then start working spot x lightly in circular motion , keep misting with water as you go :)

Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

No worries Lucas will take that onboard, I’m not the one to go at it like a bull at a gate. I like to take my time and get it done right. I am a bit of a perfectionist and have a good eye for detail so if its not right ill keep doing it till it is.

Profile photo of Soopy
    Soopy
    Participant

I’ve used just regular cutters in the past without issue.

Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

Hey Lucas

Went to a couple of auto stores in town after work today and couldn’t find a product called spot x. There was meguiras scratch x and also a product called rain x but no spot x.

Have you got a pic of the product or do you know who makes it?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Vkbt1 Vkbt1.
    Profile photo of 8you4t
    8you4t
    Participant
    • Victoria

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate , I have seen meguairs scratch x before … It will be close too spot x , if the spots are stubborn it may struggle though .

Soopy , please be careful using any old ‘cutters’ … Glass is easily marked and can be scratched beyond fixable !!!!

Btw vk … Where abouts are you in Vic ???

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Lucas Went to a couple of auto stores in town after work today and couldn’t find a product called spot x. There was meguiras scratch x and also a product called rain x but no spot x. Have you got a pic of the product or do you know who makes it?

This might be something similar Rain-X Xtreme Clean Glass Scrub

Profile photo of 8you4t
    8you4t
    Participant
    • Victoria

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Like have some spot x somewhere … I’ll try and post pic

Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

I’m in colac. Send me down some of the product you use and ill pay you for it haha.

Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

Was thinking that kroozer but don’t want to waste money on buying the wrong product if it ain’t going to work.

Profile photo of 8you4t
    8you4t
    Participant
    • Victoria

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hey Lucas Went to a couple of auto stores in town after work today and couldn’t find a product called spot x. There was meguiras scratch x and also a product called rain x but no spot x. Have you got a pic of the product or do you know who makes it?

This might be something similar http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Rain-X-X-treme-Clean-Glass-Scrub-355mL.aspx?pid=225397#Recommendations

the rain x glass scrub can be a ‘hit and miss’ affair … Great for removing baked bug guts but no so much for hard water marks

the rain x glass stub is great for cleaning wind screens to eliminate wiper blade from skipping and also the out line of the blades on wind screen …

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of 8you4t 8you4t.

Profile photo of 8you4t
    8you4t
    Participant
    • Victoria

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’m in colac. Send me down some of the product you use and ill pay you for it haha.

that’s actually a good idea , I have a ‘trade only’ product that you can use for more than one application … I’ll gift some to you , pm me your address mate , I’ll send it off Friday !!!

Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

So you think the scratch x might possibly work if I can’t get any spot x?

Profile photo of 8you4t
    8you4t
    Participant
    • Victoria

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Could do , it’s just a bit ‘limp wristed’ hahaha … It’s very hard without seeing the severity of water marks , may be a case of start with water … If not heavy enough just use on it’s own

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.