HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngine Conversions & Engineeringvt 304 in 02 monaro conversion

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SouthRidge SouthRidge 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SouthRidge
    SouthRidge
    Participant

You can rip into me for asking but my question is a valid one.

This Monaro will be bastardized (not structurally), I have a bucket list of transplants/drive trains over a lifetime to complete. Having had such a big affinity to the VT platform  a v2 monaro is the right choice for me.

It is without a doubt an easy transplant using a Series 1 VT SS/Berlina as donnar(matching BCM lvl>?)

Can anyone shed some light onto what is needed to complete the legal side of the conversion?
    Pollution gear EPA?
    Block date vs Vehicle date?
    What certificates are required?

If we can dig deep enough on this subject we can at least call it case closed if it can or cant be done legally.

And don’t lie its crossed everyone’s mind at least once or twice.

Disclaimer (Yes the l67 will be screwed around with (pun intended)  before I move onto any engine conversion)

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Given the motor is older than the vehicle, I don’t believe you will be able to get it registered.

So unless it will be a track only car, you will be wasting your time and money.

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

Yep that is how I understand it works. The vehicle body has to be a build date earlier than the engine block build date.

Your right though, I think everyone has thought about that odd fire V8 note in a later build body like the V2 monaro.

SouthRidge
    Participant

Thanks for the info guys.

From the research I have done its stated in the Vic Roads guidelines

The section “6.1 VSB 14 Modifications code LA” essentially states that any modifications stated within dont require certification. Nothing about things that do.

From what I have read the major problem is emissions due to the block meeting older emission targets.

It is known that you can use a straight gas conversion to lower the emissions.

Personally that doesn’t bother me as almost half the cars I have owned have been straight gas cars.

I guess in theory this works but how do i get the emission part verified or go through that process that the engine does pass emissions.

It would be worth it if the certifying just one element “exhaust emissions”.

Any one here a VASS engineer or work in this industry?

SouthRidge
    Participant

See the attached Vic Roads Guidelines

cheers

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/vehicle-modifications-and-defects/vehicle-modifications/vass-approval-certificate

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of SouthRidge SouthRidge.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    SouthRidge
    Participant

I guess what my angle is  to follow up on an old project whilst under going a conversion with a difference. As per this project I still am undergoing. “super cool bannanas”

http://www.commodoresplus.com.au/forums/topic/super-cool-bananas/

SouthRidge
    Participant

Okay so I read up on the IM240 test and that seems straight forward to get certified.

The next step would be if an engineer can certify the transplant because this seems to be a grey area even with some professionals saying yes and others no? I understand it may vary state to state, whats my chances in VIC to successfully get a 5lt vt 304 engineered and emissions certified registered on the road?

The brakes/trans/suspension are all the same in a Monaro compared to a vt s1 SS, its practically a front cut.

I would think an engineer could almost certify this sight unseen when considering how straight forward components would switch over with no need for welding/cuting or fixing new bolts any ware appearing as factory fitted(please correct if im wrong)

Im going to track down the stats on an Ls1,Holden 304 and find some case study of the straight lpg emission stats to figure out how close or within the emissions would be to meet euro 2/3 2002/2003

(CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), total hydrocarbons (HC) and nitrogen oxides (NOx).

Please feel free to post your thoughts on this.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.