HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralDrivelineVS/VT Roller 304 Start Up

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

ok, well my engine and transmission is finally in the car, after about 3 years

just want to know what might need to be done to run it in, its a roller cam block out of a VT 5.0, is there a run in procedure for the cams on these?

anything need to be checked in particular, been reading up on other forums regarding priming the oil pump

• This topic was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

No break in with a Roller Cam, good idea to at least pull the plugs and crank till you see Oil pressure before the first fire up, good luck with it no better time during a build!  :XD:

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I would prime it yes what where you planning on using for that?. Then drop the oil after. Then use proper run in oil as well

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/dro/training-center/articles/roller-cams-need-break-in-too/

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/roller-cam-break-25265.html

http://www.compcams.com/Instructions/Files/145.pdf

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

No break in with a Roller Cam, good idea to at least pull the plugs and crank till you see Oil pressure before the first fire up, good luck with it no better time during a build!

That was pretty much the thought we had, I was worried a bit about turning it over as is with it sitting for the time it has been, was thinking of putting some of the Penrite run in oil I bought  into the tops of the pistons, just in case the assembly lube is long gone

Sure it’s been answered somewhere, but what’s the best way of priming the oil pump, I did google it but a lot of the suggestions contradict each other

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

My mates we packed it with grease and then flushed it soon after. We were having massive issues getting oil into the top end that worked a treat.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

If you spin it on the starter without the plugs in it there will be bugger all load on anything hence wear.  If the oil pump doesn’t self prime like that you have other issues….

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

The ideal way to do it is you screw a fitting on the oil pump filter thread and use say an old power steering pump driven with a drill to prime the engine. Turn the engine over by hand while you do this, that will get oil up to the rocker gear as well before you start it. And a bit of vaso or sticky assembly lube on the pump gears to get some suction happening… Trying to get oil pressure off the starter is :negative:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^I’ve never done it any other way than plugs out and starter, not to say its right I guess….

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Air hose into rocker cover. Crank with coil lead off and wait til oil spills out oil pump fitting. Where pressure sensor would be

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Been doing it this way for 30+ years… never had an issue .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.