HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVN – VP – VR – VSVs wagon budget sleeper daily

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 6 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

I Have been on the lookout for a cheap and standard wagon, to use as a daily with the intention of having more sedate option compared to my ls1 powered Ute.

Came across this for $350 bucks on Facebook, no rego sitting under a tree in a young blokes driveway for over a year, interior pulled apart for a stereo install and other p plate modifications. He had done the inlet manifold gaskets and changed the oil, coolant, brake fluid, auto trans fluid recently but it Had no battery or spark plugs, steering wheel removed. Took my spare set of chasers up 15×7 and Got my local tow truck company fenwicks out and flat bedded it home with no idea if it would run. But after about an hour i got it running with new plugs and kicked it over, had a mad misfire and was sucking air, on the manifold somewhere. Refused to idle and would stall out when driven, dropping into gears. From the wreckers I got a dfi module and trim clips, new rear hatch struts from super cheap and tail light globes, wiper blades and general generic stuff. Swapped them all over Sewell as pinched the clear tail lights/battery and steering wheel out of my ute. Found the oring in the lid wasn’t sitting in the groove properly and the plastic line that runs from the solenoid at the back of the manifold wasn’t connected, so sorted them out and now it runs pretty well, probably needs an injector clean and a fuel filter.

Passed blueslip and got it regoed, spent most of the weekend fixing and cleaning up small things, scraping tint off of Windows and polishing tree sap off the roof, new exhaust rubbers on otherwise it was banging around and making a hell of a noise. Washed it twice and cleaned out the overflow that still had oil residue left in it. Running some radiator flush through and will drop the coolant next weekend.

So the details are: 1996 holden commodore vs wagon 255kms 3.8v6 auto 6 seater column shift. Standard in almost everyway.

The plans: has to be fast and quiet, will require keeping of the creature comforts, Power steering, aircon, and heater and run 10’s at 130mph. 1300kg car with 340rwkw

4ltr barra fg na motor/ bf sump and inlet manifold

T400 or c4 built gearbox with mvb and trans brake

Tuff mounts and swaybar

Vs racing 3582r turbo and external gate/screamer pipe

Single 3″ exhaust with 2 big mufflers for quiet idle and normal driving

4″ dump pipe and boost actuated loud valve, dumping upfront

Manual wiring loom out of an fg with tune adjusted for no Speedo input (seems to be the only option other than standalone pcm)

80lb injectors and single Bosch 044 intank

3.08 gears, rebuilt factory lsd diff.

Vt master and vt 298mm front conversion with slotted rotors and qfm a1rm pads.

Lower spring and new shocks, possibly straight to 90/10’s.

Darker legal tint and that’ pretty much it

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by Profile photo of Stevoss Stevoss.
    Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

If you haven’t seen this it’s a good read and some of the inspiration.

https://www.streetmachine.com.au/features/1710/barra-engine-swap-holden-vs-commodure-ute

Profile photo of Matty
    Matty
    Participant

Sounds like a great plan, and thanks for the link, certainly keeps my options open.

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

Jason did well with the ute, hopefully the wagon can do the same  :good:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Will be an interesting build, following…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.