HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineVs V8 HSV manta ignition module

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of doz10 doz10 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Manta HSV
    Manta HSV
    Participant

Hi All, Can anyone tell me where I can buy an new or refurbished ignition module.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

i bought one new from my local Autopro, it was in a bosch box but had Premier Auto Trade also written on the box

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131908616317

never used one or had one but aparently these ones with this new mosfet power supply or what ever it is are ment to be pretty good

well new compared to the old modules made in the 90s, they been out for a few years now and ment to last a long time as well unlike the other unreliable items

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Yep, Check out the link above.  Have a chat with the guy, he knows his stuff :-)

Manta HSV
    Participant

Thanks for sharing guys. I talked with this guy as hes not to far away from where I live in Sydney but it was a real surprise when somehow the literature that hes typed on ebay seemed to be not come from him. And he was out of stock. NOt to sure about this guy but would it be possible to buy a later model module, and will they be compatible. I’m lost.

Manta HSV
    Participant

Do they have a website from where I can order.

Immortality
    Participant

VN-VT all use the same module.  As far as I know they only sell on ebay.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

How much better can they really be?

Immortality
    Participant

Who knows but the reliability of the new mosfet chip has to be an improvement even before you consider the improved power/current switching ability of said chip.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Yeah true.

Its prob more a reliability factor. Granted I’ve never had an issue. Just slap in a hi6 if you need more ignition

Immortality
    Participant

Nahh, my next ignition upgrade will be a coil per cylinder setup ;-)

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Check out Repco. I got one from them a couple of years ago (exchange).

Manta HSV
    Participant

Finally got it from Neil the guy on ebay (Nuclear Modules) for $250 hes a real nice bloke came over and fitted it himself and now lets see how it goes. Thank you guys :good:

BTW where can I get a new dizzy I thought of replacing the hall effect sensor too but then would be a gud idea to replace the dizzy if there are gud ones out there.

Cheers

Profile photo of Hoopstar
    Hoopstar
    Participant

Pity I didn’t see this earlier Manta as I repair these modules – $70 for most units.

I perform an initial inspection and bench test, then stripped down the unit, the PCB is ultra-sonically cleaned, all solder joints reflowed and wearing parts replaced and a new MOSFET driver transistor fitted.  Good for another 20+ years.

The units this guy is sells are unfortunately nothing more than ‘snake oil’ using the same PCB design with a common replacement MOSFET for the obsolete Bosch part.

Claims like “the multi-spark emulation has been optimized to provide a longer spark ensuring a more complete fuel burn on each combustion cycle” is complete crap.

Using the same coil with the same dwell time makes no difference in spark energy.  You can swap some of the timing components in the original design and use a HEC coil (as opposed to a MEC coil) for SLIGHTLY more spark energy but not noticeable on the street.

If you want more bang for buck,  stick an ignition box (MSD6AL, Hi-6 or ICE 7) unit driven from the OEM unit on your car, give the setup a birthday with a new cap, rotor button, leads and gapped plugs are you’re about as good as you’re going to get for the money.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

hoopstar if you’re not too busy mate I’ve been contemplating getting myself one of these modules, however if you can do the same thing for $70 I’m keen to give it a go, I was looking at buying a new one till I saw these ones on eBay, but I won’t waste my money if you can do the same thing cheeper

Profile photo of Hoopstar
    Hoopstar
    Participant

Yup, no problems doz..

‘My’ modules are just rebuilt units as per above.  No silly claims about extra power – just a much more reliable unit that works as per the factory’s intended design which is more than enough for most applications.

PM for details.

Paul

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

that’s all I need mate, I just want something reliable, don’t need any more spark that’s what the ice ignition is for, I just don’t trust the old modules anymore

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.