HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVN – VP – VR – VSVs Ute 383 Stroker in the build.

This topic contains 249 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giddo95 Giddo95 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 251 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks for Pm. Got your self a bargain. I’m really interested in this coating. Looks insane. [/quote]</p>
    To easy Cav i was just saying to vspete They did a fair bit of paint correction on my car 3000 then 5000 wet n dry. It hadn’t been wet rubbed since respray so i had plenty of clear on it.
    Ill update once i give it the first wash.</p>

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

So on the paint is the ceramic coating effectively like an ultra long lasting wax? Might be a silly question but would it provide any better resistance to swirls and light scratches?

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

It is thicker than wax and a lot tougher. Swirling and light scrathes wont affect it so they say.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Found a few photos of the rear air bags when I was trial fitting them.

The second 2 photos are of the bag in place with height sensors wired in as well. Overall not a huge job and definitely a smoother ride when it is lowered better than springs imo.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looking the goods. I had drop in bags in the back of my old Vz Ss ute. I loved them. Can only imagine these being better.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah definitely an improvement over rear springs Cav. The system is fully self levelling so as the road or load changes they maintain tge same height you have pre set.

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Did you have to cut the original mounts at all? As last time i looked needed to cut mounts to fit them

munch munch ls1s for lunch
    Best 1/4 mile 13.1@105mph 60ft-1.8sec Reaction time .8 sec 0/100-4.8sec

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

I did have to notch the bumpstop mount but not much.

Even if you removed the bags later on and put back the bump stops you wouldn’t see it.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

I have a had a few issues lately with car running hot so decided to get a new radiator as the old one has a lot bent fins and they are crammed full of dirt oil etc.

So I spent a bit of time in the garage this afternoon and fitted up 2 x 10″ thermos onto my new radiator.

I used a BA/BF aluminium shroud with thermos already on, just need to trim around the outlets on the radiator then removed the brackets that came on the shroud and added a length of 25x25mm aluminium L bracket to the top and bottom and job done.

Then gave the thing a light coat of black just to finish off.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

I had to swap out my distributor today which some of you know is a c*$^ of a job in a vs 5L

Car is running again and i have set base timing at 10deg in diagnostic mode.

I was just curious when you take it out of diagnostic mode what should the timing be sitting at roughly when idling?

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey If I remember right it should jump 2-3 degrees so 12-13 degrees

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey I found this and they are saying 18 degrees I don’t remember it being that but could be wrong

5th one down

http://www.aussiev8.com.au/holden-v8s/47264-holden-vn-5lt-base-timing.html

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey I found this and they are saying 18 degrees I don’t remember it being that but could be wrong 5th one down http://www.aussiev8.com.au/holden-v8s/47264-holden-vn-5lt-base-timing.html

Thanks, im showing 16-17 deg on my laptop at idle so i think im in the ball park cheers.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

All i can say is im glad i finally got around to changing my leads starter module coil and dizzy. It is such a different car to drive, no more miss in idle and starting is so quick.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

It’s all ways good when you change something and I makes a difference

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Its that time again that I write an update on the ute.

The supercharger is gone and the motor is now out.

I have started collecting parts for a 383 stroker rebuild my purchases so far are,

• C.O.M.E Racing 383 stroker kit forged pistons h beam rods etc etc
    • Edelbrock vn heads for a roller cam (it should be interesting to see how these heads perform)
    • Edelbrock Air gap dual plane manifold.
    • Hi vol sump and oil pump
    • Double row timing chain
    • Powerbond balancer
    • Magnum HD flexplate
    • Efi hardware 1000cfm 4 barrel throttle body setup
    • New ARP suds all-round

And then all the small stuff is left to get.

I will be re wiring the bay to finish cleaning up the engine harness and also looking at rebuilding the 4l60e gearbox with a 2800-3000 stall or another option.

I will update with photos soon.

Profile photo of

Sounds like a solid plan. 383 is the way to go (insert bias here). What made you go for the Edelbrock heads over C.O.M.E or Yella Terra?

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Sounds like a solid plan. 383 is the way to go (insert bias here). What made you go for the Edelbrock heads over C.O.M.E or Yella Terra?

I thought you might be biased Sotta.

To be honest it came down to $$$ as it almost always does.

They are a nice head with a really good finish.

I was looking at the edelbrock manifold before i thought about heads then figured they where all made to go together so why not.

I originally spoke to Come a few times really nice guys, but was getting a bit of a run around which kind of makes sense now that they have come out and said they are retiring.

What size stall are you running and how do you find it?

Profile photo of

Either way you can’t go wrong. Cubes fix all!

The converter in my thing is a bit of a mystery. It went in some time before I got the car, no receipts and the guy who built the auto couldn’t remember what he did by the time I was asking. I’m about to remove it (6 speed will be in within a couple of weeks hopefully) It’s supposed to be around 2000-2200 but it seems to be barely bigger than standard. It really needs to be more like a 2500-3000. Something I was told the other day that i found interesting and to be honest was never aware of (I’ve always preferred manuals) is that capacity makes a big difference. Something along the lines of a 2200 converter in a 304 will only be a an 1800 converter in a 383, or something to that effect. It’s a dark art to me.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Thats interesting about engine size affecting the stall had never heard that. Definitely want it around 2800 – 3000.

Your should be nice once the manual conversion is done. Always prefered a manual when i was younger now im getting lazy lol.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 251 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.