This topic contains 449 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 4 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 451 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

yep

iv got a hose with bend to manifold that Iv tryed as well

I know it causes pressure or some shit but here I am all fine

i remember back on 98 fuel days I tryed a few different things for keeping it cool and I remember the 3mm hole in thermostat  helped it and that nipple blocked off must of been better as well other wise I would have the little hose on that I have in the shed for it

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Is it possible to add extra head bolts ??

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>So log as you have enough holes in the t/stay you can block it. Otherwise is backs up and causes issues.</p>

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah it does

it might actually have 2 holes in it

not sure can not remember but it definetly has at least 1 hole

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work Pete, so you planning on giving another go on the rollers after all this?  be nice to see what numbers it can make…

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

:yes: :yes:   :yes:

goin to take it out and bump it up to about 18 degrees timing now then just do a power run to see what it’s making and see how it behaves to 17 and 19 degrees

it very well may want 20 or 21 degrees timing in it as its only got 14psi but it’s making huge power for that boost level

don’t know what the most power produced from a Holden block with 14psi is but I would say I’m up there with them

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

I would agree. GO HOLDEN!!!!  :yahoo:   :yahoo: this build is like a pinacle of what can be achieved by a holden congrats manta.

Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Stout engine this one.Just shows if built right and tuned well the old Holden can make good H/P.

Fingers crossed the extra timing doesn’t increase the cylinder pressure to a point where the heads start to lift. Tuner says to me “This thing loves timing, 32 degrees before it stopped making power we will leave it there”The engine leaked coolant into valley from day one and I could never get it to seal up.Engine re build No 2 and together with bigger head studs,o rings and 28 degrees timing and a few other things it’s been solid ever since.The longer inner studs stretch first.The Vortech I’ve recently fitted may find a weakness….hope not.

Just thought I’d share my nightmare lol.

I don’t run a thermostat in summer,put it back in for winter and I drilled a couple of 1/8 holes in mine.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Every 355 will kepp making power if you raise timing to 32 degrees up top end

And most will pop heads doin that as well

28 is the usually for 355 up top end

Myn has 32 down low at idle

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

As you know I am partial to an LS swap but this thing is a work of art and a credit to you Pete- Respect.  Cant wait to see what it can make if you can get it to hook up to the rollers now.

Profile photo of YLDTT8
    YLDTT8
    Participant

LOVE LOVE LOVE this car. So inspiring its all holden. well done mate !!

Not sure I read anywhere what you had done with Oiling in the motor >?

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Went to c4c in qld few weeks back, managed to do it he whole 42km not a problem

I know I was supprised as well lol

as as for above man oiling is nothing outrageous, just a few restrictors doesn’t have mains proity or anything

just runs a hi volume pump and I ditched the oil cooler for now as cooler nights witch is mostly when it gets driven oil was goin down to 70 degrees witch is to cold and cheers for the kind words man

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of vs manta 218 vs manta 218.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Car looks brilliant mate, great to see it out and about  :good:

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

We had a go on dyno yesterday

cars making 434rwkw/ 582rwhp and 1118nm torque at 6400rpm 12psi

at that it’s making 12psi I have now knocked out centre of 100cpi cats and before with them in at this rpm it was making 13-14psi

big difference compared to the old pacemaker 5002 days where at this rpm with no cats it was doin 17-18 psi and by 6800rpm it was into 18psi

running 18degrees timing and this power is at 6400rpm as at that stage AFR go up and it seams I’m running out of fuel so need to see if my 3rd walbro 460 is coming on at 5psi or if I’m maxing all 3 of them out

Should make power to 6800 rpm but with AFR heading upwards we always backed of at that point

also clappo has tested a car on his dyno that we hire with Semi slick tyres on and then put a set of street tyres on and that change gained 70rwhp on read out as dyno rollers with 2mm nearling do not like soft tyres

so get more fuel to it, chuck a set of street tyres on and we will probley give it 1 more degree timing

not bad for a Holden donk

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Good power mate. I’d be surprised you were maxing 3 pumps out.

Your cam should go 7000+????

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah Iv got a feeling I’m maxing 2 pumps and 3rd is not coming on

yes power will keep climbing to 6800-7000 but as he is ramping it up as soon as he sees AFR go upwards he backs off

giving it more fuel does nothing to top end so it’s maxing out its fuel supply

power will climb more yet

goin from 17 to 18degrees timing gained 25rwkw and a heap of torque

in tune on boost  timing was 17 degrees till 13+psi then it pulled to 15 degrees above that

last time on dyno was making power till 6800 and seeing 15psi but now with cats out its only seeing 12psi, it would get to 13 psi by 6800

it reacts massively to adding timing so it still wants more as 13psi and 18 degrees is still pretty low but want to have excess fuel there when goin more

on 98 it had 18psi and 20 degrees timing to make 427rwkw as a comparison but we feel that’s a bit to much timing on 98 for that boost and that’s why I changed my head gaskets a few weeks back

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

ahh k nice.

So what’s the plan? Test the 3rd pump? Would have thought you have plenty of headroom with the 3x 460’s

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah I have vacume line of manifold that goes into cab to map sensor, Hobbs switch and boost gauge

will get bit of pipe 1 1/2 inch pipe and tap a 1/4 npt into it and use a npt to an4 fitting to attach vac line and use my radiator pressure kit to pump it up and see where the pump actually comes on

I tested the Hobbs switch before fitting it but just used a bit of 1/4 hose and put blower off compressor onto it and turned regulator down to 20psi and I seen my 12v light come on with Hobbs switch been the negative trigger

so my brain and calulations says it’s running on 2 pumps constant and 3rd is not coming on but my confidence in my self says the 3rd pump does come on at 5psi because I know I tested it and it’s just using a fuck load of fuel

im running about 50psi above manifold pressure so at 15psi boost the fuel rail is up at 65psi

also so crossed my mind if I have maxed out 1000cc injectors but leppy does t think so as he personally had his 1000rwhp 402ci turbo senator on these same brand and type injectors

Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Considered turning on the W/M system to help with the extra timing?Just for detonation control i mean.It looks like it’s responding really well to only one degree.The spray would allow another 2 to 3 degrees with a good safety margin…..might as well add a few more lbs boost…..and now you have zero traction ha ha.

I’d have a permanent grin on my dial if i had that power to play with every time i went for a drive.I bet it sounds bloody good too.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

I want to get every thing 100% before doin a tune for water meth

as soon as I get it running 100% then after that I will look at another tune with meth

problem is that water meth works when air temps are 50 and they bring them down 30, or a none cooled set up where air temps are 80 and it brings it down to 40-50

That drop in air temp is the reason you can add extra timing and helps with detination

my set up is nearing on 100% efficient with intake air temps at 28-29 degrees from idle to full throttle with out side air been 24 degrees and this is one of the main reasons I’m making good power on low boost

my pcm pulled 0.5 degree timing due to air temps

Once goin sweet I will try a 50/50 mix to see what reaction it has on it but I can only see it dropping temps another 5 degrees witch will only allow maybe 1 degree timing if that but at a highish risk of goin lean if I have a pump failure as it does make up a % of fueling

running 100% meth would have some positive effects as it would drasticly drop temps to something like 15 degrees as meth is cold as  maybe more and been 15% or so of fueling at 115 octain it would have more bang

but only time will tell when I try it for some real life results as I’m only guessing what it will do

only people I have known to use water meth on e85 set ups are purely to help air temps in turbo set ups still having 40+ degree air after cooler

Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 451 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.