HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralBrakesVS Brake Upgrades

This topic contains 114 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jamie Jamie 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 101 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

Now that’s a nice set of brakes, I plan on going wilwoods on my ss one of these days, what was the damage for yours if you don’t mind me asking? I’m currently running the late model 330 fronts and hsv pbr calipers with std rears, gotta sort out the vt rears then it’ll be ready for a nice set of wilwoods as soon as I can afford them

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Beautiful, yes mine squeal too.  At some stage I am going to pull them off and cut diagonal cuts across the pad face.  Its an old trick that would sometimes work, worth trying given it costs nothing.

Profile photo of Wiv1
    Wiv1
    Participant

Now that’s a nice set of brakes, I plan on going wilwoods on my ss one of these days, what was the damage for yours if you don’t mind me asking? I’m currently running the late model 330 fronts and hsv pbr calipers with std rears, gotta sort out the vt rears then it’ll be ready for a nice set of wilwoods as soon as I can afford them

Thanks, I had other work done at the same time but was I’d say 5 to 6 grand all up with the vt handbrake.

Beautiful, yes mine squeal too.  At some stage I am going to pull them off and cut diagonal cuts across the pad face.  Its an old trick that would sometimes work, worth trying given it costs nothing.

Sounds like a plan, need to find out of the below are compatible, might be worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^good info there mate, btw my full brake set up was more like half that price, I think closer to$3k, shows how much the Aussie dollar has changed!!

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

I’ve been hearing that some of the wilwoods aren’t adr approved, what’s the story there? Are yours legal?

Profile photo of Wiv1
    Wiv1
    Participant

^good info there mate, btw my full brake set up was more like half that price, I think closer to$3k, shows how much the Aussie dollar has changed!!

Yeah definitely, a big portion of the price I payed is Labor cost for the install, especially the handbrake conversion.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’ve been hearing that some of the wilwoods aren’t adr approved, what’s the story there? Are yours legal?

I think its an urban myth, my engineer had zero issues with mine.  Had heard stuff like they don’t have dust seals.  Then when mine was being painted there was a guy with an 800hp 57 Chev alongside and it had Willwoods.  So I asked my engineer and he said not a problem at all.  But I will say engineering can vary from state to state and also engineer to engineer.  But as I say mines through full engineering with them.

Profile photo of Wiv1
    Wiv1
    Participant

I will be seeking a modification permit for them, but apparently they are adr approved, Castlemaine rod shop is the main distributor –

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

That’s handy to know, I might check out the castlemaine kits aswell but I was thinking of getting them from summit, it all depends on the cost though

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

CRS will be a hell of alot cheaper.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I actually got mine through Sprint Auto Parts, killa price.  But my lad worked there ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi all.  Hey I think I remember someone sold adapter rings that you pressed into a VT-Z rear disc so that it would work directly with the smaller VR/S hand brake assembly so you didn’t need to change the backing plate and handbrake mechanism.  Is that correct?  Anyone know where you get them?

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

No, they are for the fronts.  These go in the hub section of the rear discs so the smaller VR handbrake shoes work.  Apparently, these guys sell them http://www.upc-online.com.au/brakes.html

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

UPC make good products. I’m running there 330mm front brake kit on my VN. I know others that swear by them and use their brakes on all their cars.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of ChrisM ChrisM.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of ChrisM ChrisM.
    Profile photo of Jamie
    Jamie
    Participant

Hey I’ve got a vs wagon and want to know if VT Commodore rear brakes disk’s will fit straight on

Viewing 16 posts - 101 through 116 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.