This topic contains 189 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VS 355 UTE VS 355 UTE 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Came up mint mate love the induction pipe work!!!! Guessing has next to zero traction now haha.

munch munch ls1s for lunch
    Best 1/4 mile 13.1@105mph 60ft-1.8sec Reaction time .8 sec 0/100-4.8sec

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Engine bay looks great all finished up! Will be a proper handful now.. as if it wasn’t already. You’ve gotta be happy with that. Now you need some annual leave for driving time!

Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Solid numbers mate, awesome. +1 for driving it for a while and enjoying it. great stuff.

Thanks.Yeah it will be good to get out and drive it,even if it is only to 5200 rpm.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Came up mint mate love the induction pipe work!!!! Guessing has next to zero traction now haha.

Cheers.I’m happy with how the ducting came up and it handled the boost just fine.Also glad i recirculated the bypass valve as you can hardly hear it dumping after boosting.Traction is always limited to the right foot lol.

Engine bay looks great all finished up! Will be a proper handful now.. as if it wasn’t already. You’ve gotta be happy with that. Now you need some annual leave for driving time!

Thanks,i was happy to leave the dyno behind the wheel…you never know these days can end….12 psi on 10.1,  pump 98 and another 1000 rpm to go will see me at 14/15 psi.Has got me puckered up thinking about the next time it goes back on.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Went for a drive the other weekend and it is too frustrating having limiter set at 5200 rpm.Time to sort out extra fuel.Have decided on another 044 activated by boost at 7 psi,500rpm below it starts to lean out.I don’t want both pumps on all the time.I only need the other pump after 5200 rpm so no need to heat up the fuel and draw another 15 amps on the electrical system for top end power which will only get used every so often on the street.This should get me to 7000 rpm and 500 + rwhp on stock 5/16 fuel line and second pump will live a long life…if this doesn’t give me the fuel pressure i need i’ll upgrade to a bigger fuel line.

I am going to post up results/photos of the W/M system and it’s effects on my engine as i couldn’t find any info relating to our local cars when i looked into the benefits/drawbacks to installing such a system.Hopefully this helps others who may be interested in choosing this over traditional A2A inter cooling.

A video to show how quickly the system opens and closes flow….no dribbles.This is 100% duty cycle…full flow at 900 cc p/m at 50/50 mix.

Spray keeps plugs really clean,even though the AFR’s are richer.Used to replace standard plugs often,Iridium lasted heaps more…spray should see them last even longer.

On a side note…Highly recommend one of these oil filter’s that can be cleaned and inspected.This is after engine was run after 18 months off the road.No nasty metal particles but heaps of moisture trapped in the filter.This was before dyno session,checked again after dyno and all good.

After a good clean.Rare earth magnet picks up any shavings.

Will update once tune is finished.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work, def give us an update after the tune.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Nice update looks like you will have it all singing a nice song with the extra fuel pump.</p>

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Thanks Senator.Hopefully it all goes well.

HDN05L Cheers mate.How’s your ute progressing?

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Ute is progressing well thanks mate,  just finishing installing rear airbag suspension and also a pro ratchet shifter.

I have placed an order for the W/M injection kit we where discussing should arrive early January.

With Summernats coming up i didnt want to start playing around to much and not have it running right.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Sounds like you have been busy.Will be a stand out ute when everything comes together.

Any questions on the W/M install just ask.Your boost pressure will be back to normal….and cooler.

Never been to Summernat’s.Have to make the trip down one year look’s like a lot of fun.

Profile photo of Trglavcnik
    Trglavcnik
    Participant

What rear airbag suspension you get? Keen to see some pics 😎

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

--FB Build Page For H2O RAT--
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/H20-Rat-VN-BT1/1408724789391215

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

What rear airbag suspension you get? Keen to see some pics 😎 Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Im running a levelride system i will have some shots and video up this weekend on my post.

Profile photo of jezza
    jezza
    Participant

I like holden engines also lol, great to see

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I like holden engines also lol, great to see

I like ALL Holden V8 engines  :good:

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Time for another update.

Fuel system was upgraded with another 044.This is set to come on at 6.5 psi by a ground activated Hobbs switch.Both flow into a Y piece then into the stock 5/16 fuel line.While i was there i tidied up the electrical/fuel lines and gave the surge tank a coat of paint.None of it is seen once cover is back in place but i thought i’d do it anyway.

I also needed to make up a cover for the pod filter down in the front passenger side bumper area.The wheel sits directly behind it and if it rained while driving i was going to have some major issues with water entering the engine.I didn’t want to restrict air flow so i sealed the wheel arch side so water can’t enter and left the front open for plenty of air to enter.The pod sits high enough to be protected behind bumper bar.Made a plug from mdf/ply and glassed it up and gave it a thick coat of body deadener to prevent stone’s damaging it.

Back to dyno to finish tune.Funny thing was both days i booked in was Friday the 13th….glad i’m not superstitious.

It was a stinking hot day,over 40 c in the dyno room and 80% humidity.I take my hat off to Matt the dyno tuner,he does this all day,all summer.I’d had about enough after sitting next to him for the 3 hours it took to finish the tune.The rich exhaust fumes just make it worse.Anyway.. after sorting out some vac lines to carbon canister surging issues,fixing some worn thermo fan connections Matt then set the Hobbs activation point and started tuning.This was done on fuel only until AFR/timing was optimised and 525whp was made at 14.5 psi and limiter coming in at 6800 rpm.I was happy,i’d cracked the 500 mark.Inlet temps were getting hot though and peaked at 110 c.Time to turn on the W/M system.I have it coming on early,about 2000 rpm but it’s not spraying much at this stage,injecting more as fuel demand rises.AFR dropped a full point so injector’s were trimmed and Matt was able to add another 3 degree’s of timing.Power increased to 571 whp…..a 46hp increase.Inlet temps had dropped to 55 c, not much above the room temp, a 55 c reduction.Not bad at all.Also it seems 700 + hp is not a problem on stock fuel lines and regulater on 98 fuel.

We both agreed that a safety margin would be a smart move so he added fuel back in and dropped 2  degree’s of timing.Power dropped to 537whp and we called it a day.The 34 hp loss doesn’t worry me at all.It’s got no traction at all above about 3200 rpm anyway, at least on the 285  20’s.I have a set of 17’s with Toyo r888  275/40/17  to try and better get it to the road.

Pink line at 403 whp is max power aspirated when this engine was built 9 years ago.Also stoked with the area under the curve,power comes on strong.Thinking cam specs are helping here with tight 108 LSA  giving good mid range grunt but may also be why power doesn’t keep building at the very top.Centrifugals get a bad rap about how boost is linked to rpm and torque is lower compared to PD blowers.I wanted to use these perceived negatives to help with getting the car hooked up and going forward before traction was lost to boost.That wasn’t so successful lol.A Whipple would be mental in my ute….. be fun though.

Got to tidy up electrical wiring in cabin now tuning is done but essentially i’m finished.Very happy how it has all come together and how it goes and handles.Time to drive it again after nearly 2 years off the road.

Cheers

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

Awesome results mate gotta be happy with that, the massive drop in inlet temps from the water meth system is good to see too I’ve been thinking about trying that instead of an intercooler for a while now and seeing temp drops like that has pretty much got me sold, gotta love forced induction on the old holden makes em sound even meaner too.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Nice update Dave it will not be running out of fuel anytime soon thats for sure.

That really shows how much the water/meth plays a huge part in cooling intake temps.

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Nice power man

what timing is it running up top end  ?

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

That’s cool bud I’ll be happy if I can get that kind of power ,,, you’ve got to be over the moon with that

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Awesome results mate gotta be happy with that, the massive drop in inlet temps from the water meth system is good to see too I’ve been thinking about trying that instead of an intercooler for a while now and seeing temp drops like that has pretty much got me sold, gotta love forced induction on the old holden makes em sound even meaner too.

Thanks.Yeh it was good to see it all work as well as it did.I was quietly confident in  the benefits of the W/M injection system but without any feedback from other Aussies who have installed these kits i was still uncertain of the final dyno results.Boost response is instant and i love the sound of the V1 mixed with the twin 3 ” exhaust.Has a different lope at idle which i didn’t expect.

At least other’s like yourself who may be considering W/M can make an informed decision based on results posted in this thread.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.