This topic contains 189 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VS 355 UTE VS 355 UTE 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

It could only be more fun with more cubes and the grpA manifold let alone the fact it’ll be in a ute, it will be one loose bit of gear, you’ll love it trust me, even with a carful of my mates the old Calais didn’t seem to have any trouble breaking loose so a ute would be pretty wild, I’m a bit jealous actually

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea but i have 508 rwhp out of an $11k crate engine.  And the induction roar at 7k rpm is something else.   But i do agree fi is the easiest way to make power.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

Yeah the engine probably cost you $11k but how much did all the conversion parts and bits and pieces you had to buy to complete the conversion end up costing on top of that? For myself and alot of people who have looked into a decent LS conversion it’s not so much the price of the engine or even the aftermarket parts to modify a basic LS to get them actually go hard that adds up it’s all the conversion parts and wiring and bits and pieces that need to be done for the conversion that make it no cheaper than bombing a 5litre and keeping their car original, mind you I do understand there is a point where the old 5litre just isn’t smooth or strong enough to push beyond and that’s where the LS will always have the upper hand esp with all the technology and aftermarket parts availability for these engines, but yeah you can’t really say your engine only cost 11k when it probably cost another 10 or more to convert it

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Depends on the engine you pick. A ls1 can be done for a total of $5-6k if your smart and know what your doing.

It’s the drivability of Ls that makes it such a positive. A genuine 300rwkw ls can be driven daily no prob a as apposed to a Holden.

each has its pros and cons.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

Yeah but an ls1 is not much of an upgrade from an old Holden v8, in reality you’d still have to pour a bit of money into it to make it actually perform, which in all honesty a forced induction Holden engine would still be just as driveable and more powerful than a natro ls1, I can understand an LS 2 or 3 conversion coz you instantly have the extra cubes and other goodies but then they aren’t as cheap either so it’s a catch 22

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

I will admit there is one major advantage to an ls conversion though and that would have to be the fuel efficiency of the things, not sure what they’re like when they’re bombed but no one can say they are a thirsty engine especially for the cubic capacities

Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Also depends on intended use of engine.Mine is no longer a daily driver so i want it to give me a grin when i turn the key.Grumpy is good.

I’ll never use an LS engine,they just don’t get my attention,although i am aware of there advantages and excellent range of aftermarket parts.I chose an fg xr6 turbo as my daily and and believe it was the best choice over the SS after driving both.Has made as much as 580rwhp with bolt ons,smoooooth power,six cylinder economy.Let down is horse and cart rear end of the ute,SS is light years ahead with it’s IRS.Brand loyalty is a good thing,but you don’t drive a badge.

Point being there are plenty of choices out there and all have there merits,one can’t be considered better or a wiser decision than another purely on purchase cost vs horsepower.If that was the answer everyone would buy half cuts with a 2jz and boost it 700 + hp.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Yeah but an ls1 is not much of an upgrade from an old Holden v8, in reality you’d still have to pour a bit of money into it to make it actually perform, which in all honesty a forced induction Holden engine would still be just as driveable and more powerful than a natro ls1, I can understand an LS 2 or 3 conversion coz you instantly have the extra cubes and other goodies but then they aren’t as cheap either so it’s a catch 22

Cam kit and tune can be done for $2k….

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Agree with fuel economy ls are know for better fuel economy even with mods. have you guys seen the torque power holden block capable of 500 cubes of holden power??? Price would most likely be on another planet but its something to consider for the guys looking at keeping it 304/308 (holden) with that you wouldnt be thinking about fuel economy though ha ha :yahoo: </p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>both have pros and cons though.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>turning into a bit of a holden vs ls topic.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>time for update 355 grp a ute??</p>

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

I have to agree with vs 355 and I honestly don’t blame you for choosing an xr6 turbo over the ss and yeah it’s a leaf rear but the reality is if you own a Ute you generally need it to carry a load or tow with and honestly an irs rear is almost useless for either of those tasks, which is why I like the older commodore utes atleast they still have a live axle rear, and as far as engines and engine conversions go it’s horses for courses really there are positives and negatives to any engine, personally I’ll be keeping my commodores all Holden, I wouldn’t mind putting a 6litre in a patrol but that would be about the only time I’d go for an ls, mainly due to the easy power aswell as fuel economy

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

yeah we have got a bit off topic jlss is right, how is the Ute coming along vs355 any updates?

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

on the fuel economy thing I can gauntee a worked holden engine is absolutely fucked and on that principle alone If I was building a engine now it would be LS every day of the week

not ot only is a Holden 3 times more expensive to get decent power they are then 2 times more expensive to run once you are done

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Been away a while, both have pros and cons. To me its that once the LS is in there its so simple to do what you want. I teckon i could have built my engine for well under 15k with Fast manifold, std water pump and sump.  I mean i sorta went out there.  So for 15k you would have maybe 470 rwhp in a mild streeter.  Hard to achieve that out of a Holden. But i do agree a Holden V8 has a better sound, but the LS is just modern technology.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Yea I would say it started making decent boost a bit before 3grand and from there the power just kept building, it was great fun to drive, at low revs it was well mannered but when you planted it and the revs started building it would fry the tyres in any gear, I’ll never forget cruising along in it at 100-110 and planting it hazing the back tyres in top gear shit it was fun, had a full manual t400 and 3.7 diff

Cheers for the feedback,that all sounds good, just need to get it finished.

The camshaft has been the a part of the existing engine that has had me thinking once boost is added. It will bleed boost at low rpm but i’m starting to think it will perform well once over 3000 rpm when the cam “comes on” and the blower is starting to make good boost.Total overlap is 32 degrees,same as Manta 218’s solid roller and he has some impressive numbers out of his Vortech 355.I’ll have less boost but more comp, so off idle grunt should still be the same.It was the top end that needed help.Will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So look forward to a vid of it on song.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

You and me both,maybe while yours is on the dyno we could hear that induction your talking about.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VS 355 UTE VS 355 UTE.
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

on the fuel economy thing I can gauntee a worked holden engine is absolutely fucked

So true….but give an LS the v7 and cam spec you have and the fuel won’t stay long in the tank either lol.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

No major updates to share  recently,just tidying up a few areas of the fibreglass and starting to sort out where the injection system will go.

Drilled and tapped for nozzle holders and IAT sensor.Also attached dash fittings for IAC and catch can return.Next is to make mdf templates for blower brace brackets and get them off to the engineers to get CNC’d.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VS 355 UTE VS 355 UTE.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

For sure a decent video of mine on the dyno is hopefully coming very soon.  This will be a weapon though.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

that’s some mint looking fibreglass work 355 it’ll look neater than pipework too

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.