This topic contains 189 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VS 355 UTE VS 355 UTE 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Cheers Sands

Have started working on the ute again after finishing the house renovation.Thought i’d tackle the intakes as these are going to take the most time.Definately want to have it back on the road this year,just don’t know how long it will all take.Once intakes are done i still need to wire and plumb in the w/m set up,but that will be the guts of it done.

As much as i enjoy working on it i’d rather be driving it lol.

Used wire to get the shape i needed.

Wrapped with cloth and PVA glue then added plaster so it can be shaped and sanded.Not quiet done yet.Plan is once fibreglassed i will lay some carbon fibre on and clear coat finish.

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Looks good

are you using a v7ysi ??

And are are you goin to run water meth with no cooler ?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Mate that’s awesome, love the way you prototyped have that. :good:

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

V1 T trim at the moment.Want to see how the engine handles the smaller blower,if it likes the boost i have a V7 ysi to go on.Duct is being made for the larger V7.

Yes,no intercooler.Will be using two nozzles and around M70/30W by weight.Hoping to get good detonation control and charge cooling from the spray,with better response, no boost loss through intercooler and more flow to radiator. Steam cleaning affect on piston crowns and valves is a bonus.Really can’t see any negatives besides complexity of install, topping up of tank and a periodical jet inspection.My system has fail safes in case of pump failure.An A2A can never give the in cylinder effects of the spray.As i have iron heads and 10.1 comp on pump fuel with boost,i’m counting on the w/m to stop the rattling and still have good timing.All theory at this stage…..

Do i remember reading that your ride has w/m installed?If so can you give me any feedback?

Would also like your opinion on the cam timing i currently have on boost i will see.108 LSA is tight compared to the usual 114LSA.Exhaust ports will see a fair portion of the boost i reckon lol.

Cheers.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Mate that’s awesome, love the way you prototyped have that.

Thanks.Just trying to work my way through something i have very little experience with lol.I’m sure there is an easier/better way to do it,i just decided this would be how i can get complex shapes formed.

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

That’s some hi comps and wide LSA for boost man

I wouldnt be giving it much timing at all purely with the comp been hi

but can only wait and see how it behaves to it as ever engine is different

I thought I would need water meth as well but turns out I was wrong, me having a big ass A2A cooler with a v7ysi running it at about 59 000 rpm and I get air intake temps just a few degrees above ambient air temp, last time it was like 22-24 degree air out side and I had 29 degree intake temps across the rpm range

at 13psi I have a nice very very safe tune only running 11 degrees timing up top end and it’s making over 400rwkw

as as soon as it’s not as hot as the surface of the sun here in qld we are goin to see what it does on more like 17 degrees timing and maybe turn the water meth on and possibly try 100%meth compared to a 50/50 mix seeing what it likes and what difference it makes compared with out it

when you get it goin and you first ramp it up a little doin tuning see what your air intake Temps are doin, this will govern where the mater meth comes on in rpm range and how strong it comes on if you have a progressive system or not

holdens have a love to Ping spot at around 4200rpm so be carful around that rpm

when I had a v2 blower and I was maxing it out just over its 52000rpm limit as soon as it went over that my air temps went straight above 80 degrees

not good

what tooth pullies have have you got and what rpm does engine do ??

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Ha ha yeh not the ideal engine combo for boost,but it’s not all bad news.Four bolt mains ,o ringed heads,1/2 inch head studs,h beam rods,forged pistons plus other supporting mods will help with  lowish boost on an engine built for decent aspirated power.Engine is still strong and i don’t won’t to rebuild just yet.I have a solid roller blower cam(112 lca) that came with the v7 and its only got 4 degrees less total overlap than the one installed.

It won’t make as much power as an engine built for boost but it will make more power,just don’t know how much.If it makes bugger all i’ll sort it for decent psi down the track..Should be interesting either way.

Your not turning that big blower that hard. Temps are great!That’s good to know how efficient these Vortech’s can be.11 degrees is very safe with good power.

I would be keen to see how IAT’s ,timing and power go once w/m is added with your combo.Keep us posted!

Agree on first tune and w/m spray with increasing IAT’s.Will safely tune without, then bring in spray/timing slowly to get power back.

Sounds like Holden’s like to ping around peak torque.Will keep that in mind.

From memory it’s a 72 tooth crank pulley and 32 tooth blower pulley….and i think it calculated out to 58000rpm at 7000rpm which is what it gets revved to.So about 3000 rpm over it’s peak efficiency.I could rev to 6000rpm and use smaller pulley…will see.Holden strokers just sound better at 7000rpm lol.

Thanks for the info,it’s good to get some solid feedback.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of VS 355 UTE VS 355 UTE.
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

will pay to count the crank pullie

im 99% sure the 50mm gilma crank pullie is 82 tooth from caps on holdens, at first I to thought it was 72 but turns out myn is 82

I had a 34 tooth on v2 blower witch max efficiency is 52000 rpm and my power fell over nearly exactly at that point at 6200 engine RPM

i have a solid roller 25# – 26# @112LSA witch revs to 6800 rpm but it didn’t matter power just fell over earlie anyway, now with v7 it falls over around 6800 like it should

I think you will find it will make good power with the comp been hi, myn made 383rwkw on 7psi maxing out the v2 that was with nearly 20 degrees timing and air temps just went sky hi after that

Yeah peak torque is where they want to ping

What exhaust and extractors do you have ??

Iv had a major diffences goin from pacemaker 5002 to a set I custom made

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Measured pulleys today. Crank =7.2″  72 tooth. Blower = 3.21′  32 tooth.Impellor speed at 7000rpm = 54,168rpm,so pretty much the recommended rpm for the T trim.I bought this set up second hand and i reckon the pulleys have been custom made or the original owner bought it from the States.Crank pulley is 2 piece and the v belt section was rooted due to belt slip.I had a new one made up which had to include a spigot to mate to the balancer as i have a chopper wheel for the crank angle sensor between the balancer and crank pulley.Can only assume the last bloke was turning it to 7000rpm or more to have the 72 tooth pulley.

That solid roller of yours has some decent duration numbers,what sort of lift do you have?How much comp?

You must have a good engine combo as your making good power on both blowers with low boost.Hope your right about the power.I think it will all come down to how much tuning window the spray gives me on the high comp…..and the head studs don’t get longer lol.

I have Di Fillipo   1 & 3/4  four into one extractors.Will probably be borderline on this set up.What sizes are the new pipes 1 7/8 primaries?

vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah I have a mate that said his gilma crank pullie was 2 piece or seen someone’s who’s was 2 piece

myn looks to be 1 piece but does have a bunch of Allen head screws on rear between v belts and gilmas but it apears to only be a flat ring screwed onto it

I have 0.600 thou lift and it’s 252-260

it actually drives quite nice now

solid engine man, forged crank, rods and Pistons, cast heads fully ported, SS valves and 5 axis grind, 8.5 comp, block grout filled and so

I have a build thread just a few places Under yours  and first page has full list of mods witch is quite long

i also have have a thread in exhaust section where I built a set of extractors, it’s worth a look, pipes are 4 into 1 and are 2 step 1 7/8 for 8 inches then 2 inch, goes to a tapered collectors from 2 3/4 inch to 3.5 inch,  3.5 inch pipes to cats and Into a twin 3 inch system I also built my self

just Changing these extractors seen boost go from 18 psi down to 13psi, that’s how much better flowing they are

should have pics in both threads them as well

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Yeh CAPA’s crank pulleys are 82 tooth one piece as far as i know.They also have the belt gates on the crank/idler pulleys.Mine has them on the idler/blower pulleys,crank has one.

I will go back and check out your build thread.I’m sure i did when i joined up, but looked at quite a few at the time and don’t remember all the details.

Huge difference from the custom extractors.Would be a good feeling seeing those gains from your own fabrication.

On a side note.I thought the V7 YSI might need a larger crank pulley to see it’s best.It calculated out to 64,800 rpm with the 28 tooth blower pulley and 72 tooth crank pulley(7000rpm).That’ll do.Mine has aV2 gear case so step up is a little more which got me over the line.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of VS 355 UTE VS 355 UTE.
    Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    Participant

Hi mate, I have a set of walky TTB to fit on my VS GTS. How did you get the bonnet to close without cutting a hole?

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

The Walky TTB’s will fit under a VS bonnet.You need to cut out a section of the centre bracing to get it to close.Take it easy and don’t cut out any more than you have to and the other sections of the bracing still connect to the centre by a small amount.Only clears the bonnet by bugger all, but it does.

See if i can find any pictures.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Plaster mould for intake manifold is finished.Have given it a coat of paint and waxed it ready for fibreglass this weekend.Hopefully it works out ok.Will lay it up to around 3 to 4mm thickness,then start shaping blower intake.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

This should give you an idea on what i described about the cut out.

Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    Participant

Cheers

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Absolutely stunning ute! Love the understated look. :yes:  Were the Di Fillipo’s pain to fit? What’s the ground clearence like? Don’t see many of them.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Absolutely stunning ute! Love the understated look. Were the Di Fillipo’s pain to fit? What’s the ground clearence like? Don’t see many of them.

I have them on my vs l67 and I if they are anything like this they are bloody terrible. Hang low fouled on rack, made oxy sensors come on a bad angle etc etc. Pacemakers were perfect

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Absolutely stunning ute! Love the understated look. Were the Di Fillipo’s pain to fit? What’s the ground clearence like? Don’t see many of them.

Thanks mate.Yes there are a few issues with the Di Fillipo’s fitting and clearance.Driver’s side only.Passenger side is fine.I have a flat spot on the collector which is the lowest point,but mine is quiet low.Had to grind  a fair bit out of the bell housing to get the pipes to clear as they snake around the steering arm,auto transmission may have  better clearance,i don’t know.

I replaced a set of   1  5/8  pacemakers with the 1 3/4 Di fillopo’s and i noticed an increase in torque in the low/mid rpm range.Just the opposite of what you hear about 4 into 1 extractors,and it was still 304 ci.

Funny thing was, that’s just where Di Fillopo said i would see gains once installed.

I like them,but you have to be prepared to leave a little metal on the road if your ride is low.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Thanks for that. Had been thinking about them but like I said, you never see them. Guess we know why. My ute is pretty low and it would be nice to be able to drive it without any sparks! Plus would rather not fit something that doesn’t actually fit.

It is really interesting that they made better low/mid range torque than the pacemakers. Would not have expected that. I guess if you don’t try you never know.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.