This topic contains 1,175 replies, has 48 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 1,178 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

That sounds like an experience having the dash facia flying out at you when you’re into it manta, the 4l80 is literally only 2-3″ longer and there’s no difference in width or height to the t400 except what looks like a box added onto the side at the rear which still shouldn’t be a problem to fit in a 2nd gen, we have a few at work and when I got my t400 buil I sat the side by side and couldn’t believe how similar they are to each other, the boss just finished building another 4l80, this time reverse pattern full manual trans braked for an 800hp turbo ls2 rock crawler patrol/hilux

what do you do for work?

That would be exactly what I’d be changing? What’s something like that worth.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

That sounds like an experience having the dash facia flying out at you when you’re into it manta, the 4l80 is literally only 2-3″ longer and there’s no difference in width or height to the t400 except what looks like a box added onto the side at the rear which still shouldn’t be a problem to fit in a 2nd gen, we have a few at work and when I got my t400 buil I sat the side by side and couldn’t believe how similar they are to each other, the boss just finished building another 4l80, this time reverse pattern full manual trans braked for an 800hp turbo ls2 rock crawler patrol/hilux

what do you do for work? That would be exactly what I’d be chasing. What’s something like that worth.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I posted this way back when, may be useful Cav?  https://www.commodoresplus.com.au/forums/topic/auto-gearbox-size-comparisons/

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

I’m a fitter and turner but I’m working for a diesel conversion workshop as a mechanic and fabricator, it’s alot more interesting than working in factories and quarries lol. We mainly work on the duramax v8 diesel, in our own conversions and in the silverados and whatever else comes in, they mostly run allison 5 and 6 speed autos but for some of the custom cars mainly the off road stuff we build 4l80s for, I’m not sure what the boss would charge for that sort of box but I can ask the question for you, his brother has a very similar box behind a turbo lq9 in a d40 navara it was making 700-800rwhp but now he’s building a 6l iron block for it so it should be a bit more potent, he was running a 4l65 before but it pretty much ate that

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Can you ask if you don’t mind?</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Reverse pattern</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Brake</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Engine Brake</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>1000hp</p>

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Nah I’m not it one for electronics personally. I like old school when it comes to that sort of stuff. So I’ve never really looked into them. Is that what you run Ian?

4L60E here Cav, sorry didn’t see this earlier, there are lots of options to run an 80e as you’ve found, think 400 with an overdrive, lockup converter and pretty much indestructible at your power levels..

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

I pm’d you cava, asked the question today but we’ve been flat out trying to get a few jobs rolled before we move shops, however he said he would be able to build something for you, just has to look into pricing.

As Ian said above the 4l80s are pretty much indestructible when built right even in full auto electronically controlled form, more fun and less extra crap when manualized, but I don’t think you can run the lockup converter without the tcm to control it

Profile photo of

I really don’t see an issue running it full electronic anyway, he’ll already have an ECU running the Engine so will need some way to Tune things, it’s nice being able to change behaviour without getting oily  ;-)

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

Yeah I know what you mean mate, I’m pretty sure you could set it up with tap up tap down functions aswell, but horses for courses everyone likes different things, I’ll personally be going full manualized reverse pattern in the ss for simplicity. At the end of the day the valvebody is just the controller so whether manualized or auto it’s really the other parts that are doing the work. So technically they could be built bombproof either way, but I think the full auto option could probably handle more power since the shifting would be smoother and obviously easier on the parts

Profile photo of

Don’t think I could live without a Lockup converter these days, side benefit is much reduced Trans temps..

Nice being able to dial down shift pressures at part throttle so it isn’t trying to crack the windscreen on each shift..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Nah im 100% manual valve body guy. I like to shift. Plus I’d need a trans controller if I went electronic and then I couldn’t run my fancy shifter lol

I’ll make some calls. I honestly don’t mind non lock up etc.

remeber my old combo was 3.9/3spd 5200 lol

Profile photo of

Why wouldn’t you be able to run your Shifter?

Could pretty much program it so in normal it’s a full Auto and in power it’s manually shifted if that’s what you want, T42 controllers aren’t exactly expensive…

Lockup in Summer saves a LOT of wear and tear due to Heat…

But in the end it’s your car I’m just making suggestions!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I reckon its easier for you Ian as you have the knowledge/skill to tune it all yourself.  I know with mine finding a  tuner who not only was able to tune the engine, but also the trans was a big issue.  My first tuner is a big name here in SA (and OZ) and he left the shift delay at 0.5s which I believe is standard for example, that’s what fried mine the first time.  His attitude (which sucked) was I only do the engine, the trans is up to the trans people.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

This is a good read, man there’s seems to be so much you can control/do if you know what you are doing!!  https://certifiedtransmission.wordpress.com/2016/06/15/transmission-programming-basics/

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Why wouldn’t you be able to run your Shifter? Could pretty much program it so in normal it’s a full Auto and in power it’s manually shifted if that’s what you want, T42 controllers aren’t exactly expensive… Lockup in Summer saves a LOT of wear and tear due to Heat… But in the end it’s your car I’m just making suggestions!

If I go another throw on the shifter (not even sure if outlaw does a 4speed) it won’t fit under my consol.

I’ll speak to the trans guy. I’ll prob just stay with the t400 tbh.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

In other news. I got my front bumper on today. However there is no chance my fittings will fit. So I put that on FB and it’s already sold.

Have emailed PWR and getting a custom w2A made.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Yeah man 28×10 is same as 275/60.

Just remember for smashing street tyres like nankang etc 275/60 & 255/60 are like 1/2 sometimes 2/3 price of other big tyres.

Got expensive 305/50/15 worn down 50% tread less 12 months…wanted to go 325/50 big momma’s untill saw price so next set $200 nankang 275/60 haha

That sucks buying parts only to find they don’t fit!!!!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I don’t think I’ve ever brought good tires. Because it hurts to much hahah

In regards to the cooler it’s not a bad thing. I already sold it lol

ive always wanted a PWR but at time was short funds. I’m not now so ill be ordering one.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Little tinkering today. Got the VT booster/Master in. That way the fabricator knows exactly what the pipes have to clear.

Positive is that the bracket for it spaces it out enough so I can buy a billet master cyc bracket. Negative. Coil needs to be moved.

Profile photo of

Pity you didn’t go for the VZ Booster, between VY and VZ they halved the pedal effort required to hit ABS, just improves the confidence in the brakes no end..

I had a Y and a Z at the same time and stock for stock there was no comparison even with the rest of the braking system being identical.

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 1,178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.