This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,901 through 1,920 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Phew, what a few days.  Literally got it running at 5 o’clock last night, tbh I posted up on FB, cracked a beer and called it quits.  Might throw this up here first, it’s first fire so hadn’t played with the idle or anything, sounds angry and very tuff imo.  Will post after the whole story/saga.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, that’s an interesting few days…

Got it all installed, hit the starter, turned over but no fuel pumps.  Bugger…  Looked around, couldn’t spot anything obvious.  Rank Mike who had done some wiring, he was able to come around the next morning.  Started playing around, then at one stage while we more or less standing there the pumps decide to come on.  Then went silent again, great an intermittent fault…  So he jumped the pump relay and off they went.  Tried to start it, nothing, didn’t look like firing.  decided to call it quits for the day.

That night was thinking about it and remembered we had “simplified” the earth wires in the loom behind the engine, sure enough, stupid me had forgotten to bolt that down.  Once I did the fuel pumps worked perfectly.  Great some progress…

Went to start it, still nothing.  Posted a couple of questions on FB, and Justin from Ultimate Conversion Wiring starts to post and help me troubleshoot.  Seemed I had no spark and no injector pulse.  So he messages me his number and says give him a call.  Bear in mind I have never used him or paid him anything, I think that’s pretty bloody cool of him.  So I ran through everything I had done.

Turns out the advice I had been given about swapping the outer two wires around on the Crank angle sensor is not right.  In fact the wiring is the same for either the 24 or 58 reluctor, but you do have to use the sensor to using the reluctor wheel you have fitted.  But the deal is its the cam sensor wiring that needs the outer two wires swapped when changing the cam sprocket.

So I did both of those, returning the crank wiring back how it was (what a pita to get too back there) and the cam sensor (a little easier)  Hit the starter, vroom vroom :)

So sounds great, plaid around with the idle, sits around 800.  The last couple of hits had a god awful sound coming from the starter, not sure what that’s all about.  And I think I have to play around with the glide linkage as I don’t have gears, but that’s all easy peasy now that the bloody thing is running.

All in all, happy days.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Justin is a great Bloke and has helped me out multiple times over the years!

Well done on getting it fired!!  :yes:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks, mate, yea so refreshing to deal with someone who knows his stuff, and is happy to help out.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

great that’s awesome sounds mean

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thought I would post this summary in case its useful for anyone else;

Changing from 58T reluctor wheel to 24T

• You do NOT change the wiring going from the 58T (beige) crank angle sensor to the 24 (black) one. You do need to snip off the locating pin in the black sensor with side cutters then just plug it in, orientated so the locking clip still works.
    • You do need to swap the two outer pins on the cam position sensor at the front of the motor.
    • You also must use the correct crank angle sensor that matches the reluctor wheel. So beige for 58T, black for 24T.

Also a tip for fitting the connector onto the rear crank angle sensor when the headers are in the way.  I used a piece of strip (actually an old piece of “snake” used to feed electrical wires)  I then taped the connector to it with electrical tape.   You can then feed that down from the front of the engine past the engine mount and looking up from below you can see when its home and click it into place.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Had a bit of a health issue with my old man on the weekend so didn’t get a lot done.  Did manage to get the starter support bracket fitted up, that I think has sorted the noise on cranking.

But I wasn’t totally confident I had adjusted the ratchet/glide properly.  So just went around to see the boys at Norwood Auto’s.  They happened to have a VR ute with a glide on the hoist.  Took me under it, and happily went through the whole adjustment procedure.  Basically, start with the lever and box in Low.  then remove the split pin and adjust the length so the pin slides easily.  Then move it up to Top, repeat, go through and check each position.  Love helpful knowledgable people.  Highly recommend Scotty, Chris and Grant, top people to deal with!!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Worked from home today, so got a few things done here and there.  The trans linkages are all hooked up and adjusted, took the time to drop the pan, its all spotless, but did an oil change anyway.  Also played around with the headers on the drivers side and got the maximum amount of clearance around the steering shaft.  Drove ot out of the shed and turned it around for the first time in over a year, sounds and feels unbelievable.  Also got something made up I always had in mind, and fitted that to the rear today.  Hopefully might have a few of the later HSV boys scratching their heads :unsure: Apologies its so dirty and not the greatest light for a pic.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Sounds crispy!!!!

185i backwards would really mess with their heads…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That would have for sure. But it made 560 so it seemed like the go :yes:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice to see it getting some airtime in the latest LSx Tuner mag  :yes:

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Great news do they mention yourself in the mag

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea they do, tbh I was a little unsure about it after reading it.  They never ran the article by me at all, just wrote it after speaking to me by phone and published it.  Hopefuly I come across ok.  Its still a little cool to see it, especially on the corner of the cover :-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looks like I am enjoying my 15 minutes of fame :good:

Profile photo of

Bask in the glory  ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, sort of feel like after how much it took to get to this point I may as well :)

Profile photo of

My point exactly!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers IJ, appreciate that.  It is a bit of a peaky moment seeing it in it.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Nice write up Gary awesome work

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks very much all :good:

So have been giving some thought to troubleshooting this bad boy.  Tbh it has been an issue a couple of times.  It’s so angry/loud at idle it can be difficult to tell if it’s firing on every cylinder etc, or what the source of an issue is (at least to my untrained ear).

I think using my old school timing light I should be able to work through and make sure each plug is firing, but when I was troubleshooting the injector signal that’s a little bit more difficult.  So doing some research NOID lights are the go.  Basically, unplug the injector, plug in the noid, spin it on the starter and it will flash when its getting signal.  I could buy an individual one to suit my style injector or a full set wast that much more, so they arrived today.  So should just make future troubleshooting that bit easier.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,901 through 1,920 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.