This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 2,041 through 2,060 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks, IJ, I assume it just basically goes in the line, does it matter if its in the feed or return?  Maybe because of the pressure it needs to be the return?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Correct needs to be in the return!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I was in Adelaide over the weekend. I should of called for my <span style=”font-family: ‘.SFUIText’; font-size: 16pt; color: #454545; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>Chauffeur</span><span style=”font-family: ‘.SFUIText’; font-size: 16pt; color: #454545; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”> </span>

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

You should have Cav!!  Be great actually meet you one day in person.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I just had probably the scariest moment in a car I can remember.  I have driven the Senator into work and was taking a couple of guys over from France around the block.  Pulled into a wide street and hit the gas a bit and the throttle linkage has gone over centre and jammed wide open.  Was pulling well over 7k going mental.  By the time I had sensed what the f was going on and got to the key, I have looped it and put it up on the side of the kerb.   So so lucky.  Pretty much damage free except gutter rash on one of the front rims. Holy shit that was scary.  I have never actually had that happen in a car before.  definitely going to have to look at some sort of physical stop on the linkage, but also some sort of kill switch within easy reach.?

Profile photo of

Fuck….  :’-(

This is why we can’t have nice things, good to hear it’s just a rim, a BIG stop button would do the job, wire it to the ECU power in so it shuts EVERYTHING down..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks IJ, I was wondering how to wire it in.  I am just so thankful I got out lightly.  I mean I guess I could/should have handled it quicker but all hell broke loose. But lesson learned.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Dam that would put the shits up ya as Ian said just a rim and you and your mates are safe

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Fuck…. This is why we can’t have nice things, good to hear it’s just a rim, a BIG stop button would do the job, wire it to the ECU power in so it shuts EVERYTHING down..

Isnt that what the key is for?

No good Harry could of been much worse. Gotta be thankful for what’s the final outcome was.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of

In a panic people often forget the key, the sort of button I’m talking about is really easy as you just hit it to stop and twist to reset, even the battery isolator switches can be difficult to use in that sort of situation…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

In a panic people often forget the key, the sort of button I’m talking about is really easy as you just hit it to stop and twist to reset, even the battery isolator switches can be difficult to use in that sort of situation…

Is there any danger in losing ABS etc by that method IJ?  What about the same switch but cutting the signal to the fuel pump relay?

Profile photo of

In that case use the switch to kill the injectors and coils, killing the pump could lean the engine out before it stops..

Could always use a fighter jet type switch with the red cover you just hit to turn off, it needs to be something easily reached and in line of sight that doesn’t need any dexterity to operate as most times you’ll be in a full panic and not thinking clearly..

Saw a vid recently of a race car crash, stuck throttle no sign of him trying to shut it down just hard on the brakes as it ploughs in, cheap harness almost killed him when it failed..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

In that case use the switch to kill the injectors and coils, killing the pump could lean the engine out before it stops.

Yea that’s a very good point.

This 100%, when its all happening I reckon you just want something easy to reach and dumb as a box of hammers to operate.

When I was driving home, this position to the right below the light switch looks like a perfect spot.  And I was thinking a switch like this, or something similar that you just hit.

Profile photo of

Yeah the Emergency stop button is what I had in mind, I used them when I built my CNC and have saved a few crashes..

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Mine had an issue where it jammed full throttle, issue was trying to wrangle it back after you shut it down with no power steering. Id have a switch that enabled that to keep going some how if possible

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Mine had an issue where it jammed full throttle, issue was trying to wrangle it back after you shut it down with no power steering. Id have a switch that enabled that to keep going some how if possible

cant happen if it’s mechanical.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I reckon I can live with the steering, I mean truthfully I may never use it again, it’s just an ultimate safety shut down.  I am actually starting to think IJ’s suggestion of shutting down the whole ECU via its power is the go and most failsafe, that would shut down injectors, spark, and fuel, etc.

Profile photo of

Would also make a good anti Car Jacking feature  ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Would also make a good anti Car Jacking feature

might have that covered  :whistle:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Dropped the wheels at the rim place today, both are still dead true, so just scratched up a little.  Bit of a tlc and a re-powder coat and away we go.  So glad I got out of it so cheaply (and safely)

Viewing 20 posts - 2,041 through 2,060 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.