This topic contains 30 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DaveNz DaveNz 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Bought this 2 years ago roughly, was looking for a bench seat column change wagon. Found her sitting on a front lawn where it had sat for 2 years after the owner got a company vehicle.

Got it home & cleaned her up & got here road legal, from then on i just kept changing stuff as and when it showed up. Bought a wagon to wreck with recovered seats roof lining etc & fitted all that in which cleaned up the inside bigtime, for a living i wreck out & repair commodores from home so always plenty of bits coming in. I had a clubby front kit on her for a start then stepped up to a genuine vr clubsport front conversion. That looked good but i had a statesman come in to wreck & the front of it won me over so that went on followed by a coat of black satin to get it all one color again.

Shes had multiple sets of alloys on her & 3 seperate engines not that it needed it but i stepped her up to a decent vr motor that went extremely well for what it was. I just recently bought a stuffed vr ss so made the decision to drop it into the wagon – just planning on leaving it stockish as a good cruiser with the exhaust note it needs.

Anyways i’ll chuck up some pics of her along the way, shes a keeper ill never get rid of  :good:  

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

So thats a few shots of things over the last 2 years, just sold the v6 & auto so will start the change over at some stage soon between paying jobs. Have to get a chip to remove the vats as going to run the vr trans, be looking forward to getting her back on the road again i no that for sure :-)  

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thats a nice transformation you have going on there, nice to have another member form NZ on here too!!

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Thats a nice transformation you have going on there, nice to have another member form NZ on here too!!

Cheers for the welcome. She’ll be ongoning always id say i can never leave it alone for long, will never be a show car but be a good weekend cruizer. I’ve been following your projects as well, some top class work there  :good:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I don’t think cars are every finished, there’s always something else to do/finish or modify.  Love how much variety there is out there, I mean even just on this forum there’s the whole spectrum of modifying cars from mild to wild and everything in between.  Cheers for the compliment too :good:

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Bit more done……… V6 out & sold yesterday so thats gone, just pulled the 8 out before so set the wags engine bay up then drop her in. Be a while yet before shes running, got to get the chip to remove the vats & probably other bits but progress is progress B-)  

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Well the motors in but still a ways to go, few wiring changes with running the vr trans & waiting on the chip to remove the vats. Will just cruise away with it as time allows, been messing with my new daily a bit to. Cant leave anything alone haha, just put a vz ss front on my vt wagon…..

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Well shes getting closer

Got the headers on today, what a mish that was. Lower flange gaskets getting sent down overnight so i can get the front pipe section on, done all the wiring changes to run the vr trans just the power/economy switch to wire in which will be a 5 minute job. Drained the engines oil & put some cheap oil in & new filter, will run her for 20 when i get to that stage then drain it new filter & some castrol in her.Front half of the ss driveshaft to put on the wagon shaft then that should be sorted so yeah getting closer slowly but surely. Have to find some nuts to bolt the power steer plate to the head as all thats missing – so yeah hopefully by the weekend shes a runner again

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of DaveNz DaveNz.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of DaveNz DaveNz.
    Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Few holdups with the old girl – got her to the start stage but no spark so had a look & found the previous owner had smashed the hall trigger plug off the back of the dizzy so off came the intake to get to it. Got a 2nd hand dizzy but contemplating buying a new one to save future issues, what really stopped me in my tracks was finding the column change is a no go. Had a tuff time getting it in there with the box in the middle of the tunnel that the linkages connect to, had a good suss to see if theres anyway i can make it work but just plain no room. Major bummer as love the column change but she has to go, so started looking at options so i can at least keep the bench seat as all the seats are retrimmed. Decided a B&M Sports Shifter will do the job so going to buy one tomorrow, be easy to mount as the column change vehicles have a nice flat section on the trans tunnel. Keeping the column change dash so it will all tie in well so hopefully soon shes alive & driveable :yes:

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Well shes alive & well, motor sounds healthy as to. Long ways to go yet as updating the brakes & just going through the whole wagon – got to put 2 driveshaft safety loops on it to get it certified over here which is stupid & a pain in the but. Apart from that wont be hard to get certified, got the B&M shifter roughed in to. Shes tight for room in this, will have to have the shifter out to put the bench seat back in. Got the shifter as far forward as i could get it but all good it works so get to keep the bench seat.

Be after New Years before i get her out for a test drive id say but be well worth the wait :good:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Shouldn’t need a safety loop if it’s a 2 piece shaft. If you follow the factory setup you should be sweet.

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Shouldn’t need a safety loop if it’s a 2 piece shaft. If you follow the factory setup you should be sweet.

It is stupid but the powers that be over here now require 2 safety loops, cant see a 5.0 ever snapping a shaft but yeah has to be done to get it legal

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Well shes been a fight but as of today shes driveable at last, had to drive across town with a straight pipe to get to the exhaust shop. Only passed one cop & he had his window up heading in the opposite direction so i was lucky haha.

Had her out for a run the other day & found the exhaust was strangling her so had to be sorted, found the power steering pump was stuffed so had to replace that as well as the starter that crapped itself so its been an expensive week. Luckily dealing in holdens for a living a got a lot of mates with spares so the price was a lot better than shop prices, so i owe a few favours out there now. Cruising home from the exhaust shop i was rapt as, 2 & 1/2 inch system  with 2 cobys on her so shes got a nice note. Didnt even turn the stereo on i was quite happy listening to the rumble.

Still a lot more to do but im going to drive her for a couple of weeks or so then update the brakes plus a few other things. All in all tho shes coming together well  :-)

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Is that the standard centre console? I thought they only had them in the utes

munch munch ls1s for lunch
    Best 1/4 mile 13.1@105mph 60ft-1.8sec Reaction time .8 sec 0/100-4.8sec

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

hey don’t they have a factory drive shaft loop like the vb – vl so shouldn’t need any more even if you had a one piece you only want to hold up the gear box end any way , I’m in nz as well and my vk didn’t need an extra one just used factory one !!!!!!!

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

Is that the standard centre console? I thought they only had them in the utes

This was column change just with the v8 the trans bellhousing gave no room for the linkages so i bought the b&m shifter & fitted that – tight fit with the bench seat but it works :good:

Profile photo of DaveNz
    DaveNz
    Participant

hey don’t they have a factory drive shaft loop like the vb – vl so shouldn’t need any more even if you had a one piece you only want to hold up the gear box end any way , I’m in nz as well and my vk didn’t need an extra one just used factory one !!!!!!!

Apparenty some tool in a skyline broke the rear half of his 2 piece shaft & because of that you have to run 2 now. I’ve checked into it here in Christchurch & thats what they want, dont no how i’m going to do that yet ill have to get something custom made. One piece shafts out because of the handbrake cable, as for the front your dead right they have that factory loop but the buggers still want a 2nd one behind that. Ive already done that one so just to figure out the next.

So yeah powers that be gone crazy :wacko:

Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

statesman front end conversions  :good:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.