HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVN – VP – VR – VSVN RSV 5.0L, Now Turbo LS1 build.

This topic contains 41 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of vin vin 4 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of moodybluebob
    moodybluebob
    Participant

If its not too late, maybe consider a staggered plate so the guages angle toward you a little. Just a thought.

I only made this out of like 3mm mdf, just to get an idea of what it looks like. What plate did you buy? i remember seeing it in your thread somewhere.

Im a fan of the A pillar or you can do what i did run it in the aircon vent for something different. The centre console seems to be the best place for multiple gauges.

Yeah i like the A pillar look. easy to see too. was even considering keeping oil temp/pressure on the pillar and putting a phantom clock in the middle, but $150 for a clock is about rediculous haha.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Got it off ebay i think.  Its just its not the easiest place to look across too, so the angle does help a little.

moodybluebob
    Participant

Got it off ebay i think. Its just its not the easiest place to look across too, so the angle does help a little.

Ah yeah cool ill have a look around if this doesnt work out. from sitting in the car it doesnt feel too bad (im 6’6″ so i sit pretty far back) but will just have to see how it goes.

moodybluebob
    Participant

Really need to update this more often. Got my gauges all sorted. Really happy with how it turned out, put green LED’s in them and at night they look awesome, not too bright and easy to read.

Also installed a sandwich plate and oil cooler setup. I plan on doing track days/skidpan days so figured i’d do it with the sandwich plate. Aeroflow sandwich plate and oil cooler, running -8 line that we use on kenworths at work. (have since secured the lines together with double zipties)

Recently got the car dyno tuned as well. Decided to go with chiptorque down the coast. Was extremely happy with their work, they also got onto proflow (VPW) for me to sort out my tps fault. Basically there was no preload on the tps with the 4bbl, and there was no adjustment at all. They have agreed to replace my throttle body with the revised version that allows for adjustment. So just waiting on that then i can enjoy it for a while. Next on the cards is sorting my diff out. sussed out the auto locker route and i’ve decided against it after reading a few things about them. But not bad power for the old 5L, considering all the work was done myself. Keen to see what it would do down the quarter now aswell.

And to finish off, just a nice shot after washing it in my driveway.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of moodybluebob moodybluebob.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very nice mate, all looks great :good:

moodybluebob
    Participant

had its first track day at qr on the weekend. car went awesome. Makes me realise it isnt a quick car haha, but had fun cruising around the track. really need to sort diff gears and get both wheels spinning now, then probably save up for a charger.

moodybluebob
    Participant

Pretty slow on the old updates. Ended up putting a spool in a 3.45 diff gears, took over a month because i got severely knocked out in a soccer game and ended up with 6 stitches next to my eye, impared vision and concussion for about 2 weeks, so had to take it easy for a while. back in the swing of things now though.

Diff gears have completely changed the car. Soo much more responsive and sits at just over 2000rpm at 100, which cuts out all drone the exhaust has. Celebrated my taking it to a local downshift meet, not really the scene to take a older commodore but good to take it for a bit of a drive with my old man for his birthday, Car’s now been in our family for 21 years.

Just gonna cruise around an enjoy it for a little now, gonna get a retune now ive sorted out the throttle body issue, but will probably change out to an edelbrock throttle body before the retune.

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Not usually a fan of vns but white with the red stripe looks pretty good, black rims suit it nicely!!

munch munch ls1s for lunch
    Best 1/4 mile 13.1@105mph 60ft-1.8sec Reaction time .8 sec 0/100-4.8sec

moodybluebob
    Participant

thanks mate!

Still out enjoying this thing, need to touch the tune up a bit but apart from that loving it. Getting the bug to chase some HP now, but will have to wait for a while. Still having fun so that’s the main thing.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s a nice shot mate, looks like you have that outside front tyre loaded pretty nice there :good:

moodybluebob
    Participant

oh man…

It’s been a while since i’ve been on here. This will be a bit of a recap post following on from my dyno tune since most of my images are gone.

Had some fun with it for a few years. track days, drifting, drags & plenty of meets.

Destroyed a throw-out bearing at QR, kept throwing belts at lakeside

Wanted a change of rims, so found some VE calais wheels cheap, painted them grey. rocked that for a bit.

May aswell throw in a photo of the interior too since i never really did. Vp calais international interior, devonish seats, genuine momo wheel, lvl3 dash, elec windows, all done by myself. planning on retrimming seats next year.

Life got busy, bought a house, built a shed, just drove this thing to work on fridays. Wanted a tougher look, so cut a speed hole in my bonnet and threw some 20″ GTS wheels, and got some plates for the car, cause you know, it’s slow as.

and a sneaky video of it full noise at lakeside

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of moodybluebob moodybluebob.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of moodybluebob moodybluebob.
    moodybluebob
    Participant

Now…

here’s where things get a bit interesting.

Have always wanted more power, the 5L was fun, sounded tough and has been reliable for the last 5 years or so. I was told by many people it sounds like a fast car, but it isnt haha. I considered bolting a charger to the 5L, but then i found a well priced LS conversion for sale on marketplace, which turned out to be a member on here, and just bit the bullet.

Soooo here’s the planned new direction on my build.

SBE LS1 (Ring gaps, Bearings, Studs, full send)
    VCM16 cam (springs etc)
    Sump already has an ASR baffle
    Borgwarner S475 75/88 T6
    T56 (will probably blow it up, contemplating dog set)
    E85
    haltech elite 950, harness and racepak dash

that’s the rough idea anyway.

last photo of the 5L in the car, will miss the exhaust note thats for sure. Pretty stoked on this engine too, built all myself as a 2nd year apprentice, copped and absolute flogging or 5 years and still runs mint. Plans for this motor are to live on in another 2nd gen that my dad will be building.

Engine out, empty (and very dirty) bay.

As quicky as the 5L was out, the LS was in. just engine sitting in there. Bought the entire conversion, so everything just fits, which is great. alternator clearance an sump clearance are great with no mods.

Im proud to say that i give everything a go myself, being a diesel mechanic makes it alot easier than most. Im by no means a fabricator, but im going to do everything myself. I figure the only way to learn new skills is to give it a crack yourself.

So i began making my own 4 into 1 turbo manifolds. They are make out of 40NB buttweld bends, sourced locally from MTQ and Blackwoods. Flanges were purchased from Design fab in ipswich. Great to deal with.

Passengers side tacked up

Drivers side tacked up

Plently of clearance between the manifolds, body and brake lines.

Passenger side all welded up, would have been better with a tig welder, but i only have a mig at the moment, need to clean a few up and check for leaks, but overall happy with the outcome.

Waiting on my turbo now to figure out placement and start making the crossover and T6 flange mount out of 50NB. once they’re completed ill paint then with heatproof paint and wrap then with lava wrap. Then start making dump pipe and cooler piping.

the plan is the have the engine in there for mock up, ill fabricate everything, then pull it all out, rebuild engine and box then everything can slot back in nicely.

moodybluebob
    Participant

As a litte bonus, here’s my daily driver GQ that i painted myself in my shed. Colour is toyota beige.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Wow, cool update.  Love the fact you are doing it all yourself.  Love it and following :good:

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Great man that 5lt sounded awesome your dad will be rapt to have it

moodybluebob
    Participant

bit of an update.

turbo and wastegate arrived, as well as my dump pipe flange.
    Borgwarner S475 T6 and turbosmart 50mm GenV Progate.

Made the rest of my turbo manifolds, bought a TIG welder so been learning that process.

Dummy fit, Mounted up turbo, going to have to run elec power steering because my wastegate will be off the exhaust housing.

dont have any photos of it but just bought my intercooler (aeroflow 600x300x100), slight bumper trim and it fits quite nice. have a fait bit of room above it to fit a slim oil cooler and power steering cooler.

took the old daily patrol out to cruiser park too, so may aswell throw that photo in here.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of moodybluebob moodybluebob.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Progress is progress!!  Keep us posted.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looking killer.

One thing i wish i could do was weld. Fabricating i do at work so it should come easy, but im envious of anyone that can weld.

GQ looks killer to, its heaps of fun but can suck you bank account dry lol .

moodybluebob
    Participant

Thanks man. Been following your builds for years now. Always loved what you’ve done.

im mostly self taught. Have had some guidance from boilermakers at work but other than that just time. I’d never touched a tig welder before. Having a lot of fun just practicing, watching videos and learning the art. My welds aren’t the prettiest but they do the job haha.

all I can say is pick up a welder and some scrap steel and give it a crack.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

all I can say is pick up a welder and some scrap steel and give it a crack.

This 100%

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.