HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVN – VP – VR – VSVN RSV 5.0L, Now Turbo LS1 build.

This topic contains 41 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of vin vin 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of moodybluebob
    moodybluebob
    Participant

Some of you guys might know me from SC. I have been building this car since I got my license in 2010. What started off as a Dealer pack original 5 speed commodore, has now changed a considerable bit. Ill start off with a spec list.

VN RSV dealer pack (Rick Sivyer Holden – Brisbane)
    -Holden 5L block completely rebuilt, acid washed, bored and honed, flat top pistons, standard heads with upgraded valve springs, retainers, pushrods etc. ARP bolts throughout. Crane H286 cam.
    -Custom exhaust system by OMG exhaust & mechanical; Hurricane headers into twin 2.5″ 100 cell cats, merges into 3″ straight through muffler, 3″ over the diff then splits into twin 3″ blaster pipes (Going to add a muffler in the back to bring the noise down a touch)
    -LS1 injectors, upgraded walbro fuel pump, 80L tank. Soon to have torquepower low dual plane and 1000cfm throttle body.
    -Full VP calais international interior with senator devonish front seats (yet to be retrimmed) Momo steering wheel from a WRX. Level 3 cluster upgrade. custom senator-like manual centre console. Speco gauges throughout (will be changed to autometer eventually) Rear venetions painted white
    -Superlows all round (king front pedders rear) shortened shocks in the rear.
    -King sinner 18″ rims powdercoated black, wrapped in continental tyres.
    -SS kit all round with VS side skirts, Vn calais garnish and lights with VP international boot lip spoiler

Everything that has been done to the car (except for the exhaust) has been done by myself. I’m proud to say i rebuilt the engine from top to bottom in my own shed. Sorry for all the boring stuff, here’s some photos and an idle video.

Idle Video Click here!

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Wow mate get some more pics up ASAP! :)

Profile photo of Trglavcnik
    Trglavcnik
    Participant

Good to see you made the transition over man, needs more updates still.
    (jtr007)

--FB Build Page For H2O RAT--
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/H20-Rat-VN-BT1/1408724789391215

moodybluebob
    Participant

Figured id give this an update. Havent been driving it much due to sorting out my daily car. Bought a 89 GQ patrol and have been throwing a bit of money into that, but now its time to bring some life back into the old girl :)

My new daily:

and the new part

moodybluebob
    Participant

Ohh man i love this look! Filter top is going to be black. getting closer to driving again.

Profile photo of Wogan01
    Wogan01
    Participant

Awesome ride mate, love the flex in the GQ too ;) How is the driveability with the 286 cam and how big of a difference has the manifold and throttle bodies made to how she drives?

~~R.I.P VT SS S1 9C1 ~~
    ...:::::VB 253 SL on the road to being a street cruiser:::::...

moodybluebob
    Participant

thanks bud. Honestly i couldnt tell you, ive done about 1500km in it since i rebuilt it. Been strugling with a miss under load for some time. Changed every sensor on the manifold and still this same problem. Gonna start a thread to see if anyone has an idea.

but i drove it today. Did the manifold change last week and the back leaked oil. so replaced the gaskets again, all ok now. Threw a 82 degree thermostat in and runs at a good temp now. drove fantastic for about 20 mins, deffinately a big difference between the manifold change. You give it a bootfull and it climbs to 4000 then just misses and stutters. Another instance after that was a took off in first and planted it, and it just cuts out. I slowly release my foot off the throttle and ittl just back to life.

anyway, here’s s pic of the engine bay. Gonna start tidying it up after i fix this issue.

Profile photo of [TUFFVQ]
    [TUFFVQ]
    Participant

I’m going to ask a really obvious question here: Did you get it re-tuned after the manifold change? Because the manifold change will make a big difference. If you haven’t then it’ll be running really lean which will account for your miss.

moodybluebob
    Participant

hey mate, Yeah the car was previously tuned for the manifold change before i got the manifold put on.

moodybluebob
    Participant

havent updated in a while. Just been tinkering in the background doing little things to the car.

Took some photos with a mate when i first got it running.

Just been out driving it every fortnight or so and just enjoying driving it :)

Have to admit, it’s pretty cool having two cars from 1990. My Vn and my Daily GQ patrol td42t.

And my recent purchase, got some -10 fittings welded onto standard rocker covers, and got my catch can from TuffBillet on ebay. Got it for a rediculous price and looks the goods. Gonna leave it silver for a bit i think. Polished fuel rails should tie in with it nicely. Looking at getting it on the dyno in a couple weeks too for a tickle up, then diff upgrade and onto the interior. Just loving driving it at the moment though.

Oh and it has a torque power manifold now haha.

moodybluebob
    Participant

oh and dont buy fuel pumps off ebay. What i thought was a genuine walbro was a cheap piece of crap. Now has a raceworks in tank pump and loves it! solved all the problems with the car.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

also fake 044s too on evilbay, bbe careful…

moodybluebob
    Participant

yeah exactly. Learnt my lesson, Least it did no damage. just have to be very careful i suppose.

moodybluebob
    Participant

Hey guys, keep jumping on here every now and again. cars still going good. been driving it every now and again. Took it to a local meet the other weekend and was lucky enough to get a photo. Have had a few people ask me if its carbied haha. Also had a few people comment saying how tough it sounds, which makes me pretty happy haha. Not bad for a cammed 304 :)

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Its a clean looking car mate.

What plans have you got for the diff upgrade?

moodybluebob
    Participant

Its a clean looking car mate. What plans have you got for the diff upgrade?

Thanks mate, appreciate that.

eventually when time and money permits om going to go an autolocker. I’ve got 3.45:1 diff gears here already and a bearing kit, just need to purchase the auto locker. Couldnt justify the cost of a tru trac.

Bought some new gauges for it today as the speco water temp gauge is already reading incorrectly (tried a new sender and no dice) so went for the autometer Phantom gauges. Suits the car i think. going to install them either today or tomrrow.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

That will look nice with those gauges, take some photos of what your doing if you can.

I’m thinking of adding some extra gauges soon.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of HDN05L HDN05L.
    moodybluebob
    Participant

This is what it looked like before. I didnt mind it. everything was in my field of view, but just didnt look good enough.

And here’s what im doing now. Water temp and Engine oil temp. (obviously a old gauge in the middle)

In the middle of those two will be a volt gauge, then will be moving oil pressure to probably on top of the steering column in the centre. or will just leave oil pressure on the pillar.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

If its not too late, maybe consider a staggered plate so the guages angle toward you a little.  Just a thought.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

<span style=”background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);”></span>

Im a fan of the A pillar or you can do what i did run it in the aircon vent for something different.

The centre console seems to be the best place for multiple gauges.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.