This topic contains 47 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ChrisM ChrisM 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi All,

I am currently building a VN Calais t56 manual. I have been building this for the last 17months with a mate and my 3yo boy. I started out with a vn v6 calais auto. The color is blue over gold. The first of my modifications was upgrading the brakes. I bought a UPC 330mm front brake kit. I changed the rear rotor and pads with new OEM.

Then i bought the T56 manual gear box and bought a short shifter. I was looking around for the conversion kit and had no confidence in crs stuff so i bought Tuff Mounts. I fitted the gearbox into the car and  I had a custom braided line made from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. I Bought a doner WH statesman for the LS1 motor and stripped some of the car making most of my money back. I then bought VY ss pedals and a VE shifter knob and fitted them into the car. I fitted the engine and fuel pressure regulator.  I bought pacemaker PH5345 extractors at a really good price thanks to the misses. I proceeded to fit the extractors into the car whilst the motor was in and it was being a real pain in the a**. I got the passenger side done and it took a few hours as i have to remove the starter motor and engine mount and with a bit of a squeeze it fell in.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sounds like a great build mate (and a top misses!)  Look forward to following along.  There are a few LS swap builds on here.  Check out Cava’s VR/LSa, IJ’s VR(Lexcan)/AWD charged beast, Cappsys VL and my Senator.  Fitting extractors to these are just a pita, seems to be all about getting the angle of the dangle right :wacko:

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea nice, is the plan to keep the engine relatively stock?

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

The plan is the keep it stock to pass engineers, then i will work the motor but nothung over the top.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea, I reckon that’s the smart way to do it.  Once you have it signed off for the LS opens up a lot of options.  Thats was my plan with the LS3 but I got a little side tracked!!  Keep the updates happening :good:

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi All,

Just a quick update i got the car driving and took it to a mates house to start the exhaust. I can see im going to have an issue on the drivers side as with the car sitting on concrete i have 102mm clearance to the flange.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just a trick/tip (you may know already)  put a trolley jack under the exhaust down under the car at the end of the headers.  Then loosen off the manifold bolts to the head, not completely, but so the aren’t fully tight, also completely loosen two flange bolts between the headers and the main pipes.  Then gently raise the end of the headers with the jack.  Just by using the small clearance in the holes on the flange and head studs, because of the length of the lever you can sometimes lift the bottom end of the headers quite a lot.  Then with it raised on the jack tighten everyhting up and you will most likely get a worthwhile gain.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

You could also jack the exhaust up and put it under load and then run the engine and see if the heat will relax the steel a little.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^ good idea too, my idea was actually suggested to me by NAAF over on JC, he was a bit of a guru on exhausts.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Yeah, I’d try your way first and if that doesn’t work than I’d try my way.

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi All,

Thank you, i might have to give that a go.

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi All,

Just an update, i am still getting the car ready for the engineer shouldn’t be too much longer. Just working out what to do for my air box.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of ChrisM ChrisM.
    Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Like the calais steering wheel better tbh!  Rarely see them on cars now.

Could knock up your own mace-style airbox or look for vt 5 litre airbox if want it to look more factory neat’ish.

vr series 2 v8 top will do the trick also….look neat with curved top although small/restrictive for a 5.7,some dude was selling them $40 new on ebay awhile back…make sure it’s not hsv top but stocker version that clips to v6 lower section.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What’s your engineer said about running an Adjustabke Reg? I know some don’t like it.

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi Gtrboyy my Calais steering wheel the top was loose and has had the injection before. I changed to a smaller wheel also as i am tall and the original wheel hit my legs. I was thinking of making my own air box. I have a 5lt top and its not right for the intake.

Hi Cava, My engineer said to me as long as it is in a place that it will not get damaged.

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi All, i thought i would post an update, my car is booked in tomorrow to have the sunroof replaced. I am getting it changed from a manual pop up to a electric. I had to get it replaced as there is no spare parts available for it after that it will go down to the panel shop to get the rust in the boot floor pane repaired near the back panel. Once i get it back i can start the engineering and RWC to get her on the road.

Just a quick question not sure where to mount my ls1 ecu in the cabin?

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

HI All,

Last Wednesday i took my Calais down to start the RWC check before i send it to the engineer. They only found 8 items fr me to rectify. I have completed 5 of the items so far. below are the items.

1 Engine mount bolts to K frame as they were not 8.8 grade. Changed.

2 fix front brakes. They were grabbing on the front. Fixed

3 Oil leak. Going to pressure was as its very minor.

4 Exhaust to fuel line clearance. Extractor is too close to the metal fuel lines.

5 Reverse lockout hitting floor. Did the reverse lockout delete.

6 Rear shocks too long. Waiting for shortened shocks

7  Change rear fuel lines. Changed from braided lines back to rubber as the braided was clamped with hose clamps.

8 Washer jest. Cleared the blockage.

Im also planning on changing my thermo fans as the EL ones don’t give me much clearance for a stainless intake tube.

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

What thermo fans have people run in there conversions? I know most use the AU thermo fans is there any other good choices? My current radiator doesn’t allow much room for an intake pipe.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I actually just have a single SPAL fan on mine with no shroud and zero over heating issues.  It is on a  custom PWR rad though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.