This topic contains 40 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Juzzie Juzzie 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

Hey guys, just starting to put a 6 litre into my Vl Berlina with a gtx45 and powerglide.

In the early stages at the moment, have engine, turbo and box about to start fabricating manifolds.

Anyone who has done this, who did your wiring looms?

What are the pros and cons of running fly by wire throttle body?

i understand what needs to be done either way, just want to know if fly by wire is any better?

Have got engine mounts, starter conversion and plan on putting Astra power steer pump as turbo is in the way of the factory one.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

From the LS conversion point of view I wrote this a while back.  http://www.commodoresplus.com.au/forums/topic/vrvs-ls-engine-conversion-general-information/  I think its still fairly current, at least a starting point.  Most of it will apply to the VL.  I also just put a glide in mine, if you have time to kill might be worth flicking through that, the glide I did relatively recently.

Profile photo of SLO 05L
    SLO 05L
    Participant

^^^ definitely worth reading. Got a lot of info myself from it! The bloke is like an encyclopaedia 😂😂 can’t wait to see pics bud sounds mental!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Easier to go cable tb unless you already have the loom and computer. With FBW you need to adapt the pedal in. Is it better?? I’d wouldn’t say it is. I personally much rather Cable TB and the instant pedal feel

Profile photo of BLOWNVS
    BLOWNVS
    Participant

Any updates on this? Throw some pics up to get the punters interested. Killa custom cables seems to get a lot of great reviews for lsx conversion looms too.

Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

Just been buying parts basically.

Got all the piping so fabrication should start shortly, decided to go cable throttle so am chasing up an ls1 loom and computer.

I have pictures, just not sure how to upload them.. It said the resolution was too high?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I have pictures, just not sure how to upload them.. It said the resolution was too high?

Best/easiest to use something like photobucket, I posted a bit of a how too here a while back :)

Posting Images Using Photobucket & Attachments

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I use tapatalk to post my photos. But it’s not working ATM. It’s like it’s always a month behind and new shows fresh forum updates.

Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

That’s basically how it sits at the moment. Got a vy ss loom and computer, going to drop that off soon to get modified to suit.

Been buying the parts for the powerglide as well, got a shifter too. Went with the a hurst pistol grip.

Got a cable throttle body now as well, so it’s coming together slowly. Too slowly for my liking but have too much else going on to be able to actually spend a full day on it.

Now that I know how to post photos il get some more updated ones as progress happens.

Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

So have had some progress lately, had the manifolds made up, away getting welded at the moment. Decided to go with a Holley high rise manifold as well. Have the loom ready, just need to get the computer unlocked.

Bought the powerglide and conveyer as well, went with a tce 3500.

Engine is in pieces waiting for the parts for that to come. Just putting a vcm16 cam, lifters and springs in. Head studs as well. Was debating whether to stroke it as I have to change reluctor wheel but have decided il wait until I blow this engine up.

Should have the engine done in a week or so and then il put it back in and get the car running. Need to paint the engine bay again but il get the car running and see how hot it all gets in there before I paint it and possibly burn it.

Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Shit yea buddy, thats looking awesome, keep us posted :good:

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

Looks good mate. If you don’t wrap the manifolds, at least do the dump pipe. When I ran mine on pump98, I use to run mine at Powercruise so hot that the floor would smoke. I never had an issue with the paint. 

Good choice with the manifold as well. I’ve chosen to go with one also. I spoke to Jake Bain from Bain racing about runner length and he said the Holley hi ram runner length is pretty much spot on. Basically the perfect length if you can afford to go higher than a standard bonnet.

Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

Il be getting manifolds ceramic coated  and will powder coat the Intake pipes.

Want to keep the heat down and also make it look nice.

Yeah, I have always liked the look and have read the Holley manifold flows well, was debating whether to put one on because it would need to hang out of the bonnet but then this one came up cheap so I thought I would grab it. Will most likely put a reverse cowl on now.

Bought the rear wheels I want to put on last week, so now I need to mini tub the car. Went with weld magnum 15×9 and going to run either a 255/60 or a 275/50, will work it out once I pull the diff out.

Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

Finally got a decent fabricator on board so have had some progress!

Really happy with the work done, was by havoc fabrication in keysborough. Did an awesome job and was quick too.

Got the car started, now I’m just trying to work out why it’s back firing so bad!

Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

Profile photo of Juzzie
    Juzzie
    Participant

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.