HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralEngineVK 308 starter motor issue!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ajvx01 ajvx01 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WPNHDT
    WPNHDT
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Ive been having a problem with my start motor and it is becoming very very frustrating. What happens is, when the car is cold the car will crank over fine although after driving the thing for approx. 10mimutes shut it down it won’t crank over again.

Abit about the motor if it’s any relevance; it’s just a 308 with flat tops, split duration cam, porter black heads, edelbrock manifold and a 600 Holley. The motor is fairly fresh with only about 4000km on it so it’s still fairly tight.

During the the build I put the battery in the boot and a new Bosch starter motor. As I mentioned, after 10 minutes of driving I’ll shut it off and it won’t crank over. Once I smack the starter it cranks over. This lead me to think it’s a faulty starter!? So I ripped the starter out and sent it back to the place I originally bought it – they got Bosch to test it and they have come back saying there is nothing wrong with it. They also mentioned that they put some heat through it and it was still operating as it should.

Could they be pulling my leg with the tests they done? Or could there tests be insufficient? Because they said they used the heat gun to “warm it up” – surely it will get hotter than that while driving.

Anyone got any ideas what else it could be???

Any help appreciated.

Thanks gents

• This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of WPNHDT WPNHDT.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of WPNHDT WPNHDT.
    Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

odds are its the wires themselves feeding the starter motor that are getting too hot and causing volt drop which will stop the solenoid from working, hence why you need to whack it.

where did you run the battery cable in the boot too? The alternator? If so run a wire from there to a relay then to the starter and use the current starter wire as the actuator cable.

fixed my issues on my vc with the same issues.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

I seriously doubt they would of sent it back to Bosch, we deal with them at work they are c*nts!

Profile photo of WPNHDT
    WPNHDT
    Participant

Just an update on this one. I got a relay installed and it’s fixed it!

Thanks a heap ajvx01! Legend.

Profile photo of WPNHDT
    WPNHDT
    Participant

Do you guys think the battery in the boot had something to do with it?

Just curious. Such a pain in the ass problem.

Regards

WPNHDT

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Sounds like a Voltage Drop, did you run a separate ground cable or just a short lead to the Body?

Profile photo of WPNHDT
    WPNHDT
    Participant

Yeah it was definitely voltage drop.

From the battery in the boot there’s just a short cable to the body.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Yeah it was definitely voltage drop. From the battery in the boot there’s just a short cable to the body.

Most older cars usually have a really poor return path if you use the chassis, lots of corrosion and goo between the panels, I always run full length leads for this reason after running into it in the old days with a 12.5:1 BBC…

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

this 100%^

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.