This topic contains 89 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

hey guys,

Had the engineering inspection this week. unfortunately failed on a couple of small issues,

Few exhaust issues with lines to close (I thought if you can fit your finger in between it would be ok).  I have since taken it back to the exhaust shop and the cant bend it anymore. So question is what is the best way to run the brake line to the rear. At the moment it is in the original position and it has clearance problems on the drives side inner chassis rail.

Next issue is that my car being a base model means it didn’t come out with rear retractable seat belts, Which I have been told is a must. After looking on ebay/Gumtree I didn’t see any to buy. If anyone knows were I can get a set please let me know.

Lastly I have put a vn long range tank into the vh, which sits within 200mm of the gound, so I am required to make up a bash plate.

All up I am pretty happy with engineering, I feel like everything I have failed on could be improved anyway. so well worth getting it done.

any tips or help is appreciated cheers.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Hey mate,nice build.

Rear retractables can get from vk-vl models easiest to find.

Bashplate for fuel tank I’ve seen on statesmans & calais.

Not sure what you mean by exhaust but another alternative is cheapie single vl cat back exhaust off ebay (tuffcarparts were doing a sale) or even 2nd hand one & get front half to suit.

Or simply get yours remade the way you want it

With manuals love that twin 3 inch angry sound particularly with engine mods but on auto 2.5 inch is way to go…all depends on sound you want.

Sounds like nothing major to pass anyway,car is done nicely.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hey mate, gotta be happy with that, as you say they are all issues you would want sorted anyways, doesn’t look like any show stoppers there.

With the brake lines, if I am understanding what you mean, I had a similar issue.  With mine I rerouted it across the chassis rail into the drivers side wheel well.  It then in my case went forward to the ABS but if you don’t have ABS (I assume you don’t) it would have just gone up vertically then through a grommet into the bay and into the master cylinder.  This pic is a little fuzzy, but you can see the joiner and the brake line to the left of the wheel.

Profile photo of Stevo
    Stevo
    Participant

Really enjoying watching this. As nice as flash rims are how good does this thing look now?!!! Great job mate.

Profile photo of MickStephens
    MickStephens
    Participant

Very new to the forum and already found my favourite build thread :D

Awesome build up.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very new to the forum

Welcome buddy :good:

Profile photo of rayray07
    rayray07
    Participant

I am interested in just how close your rear brake line is to the exhaust, I have routed my new brake hard line in the original position. I think I have a little more than a fingers width, but I haven’t spoken to the engineer about it yet either. I’m assuming your clearance issue is under the car inside the chassis rail where your header collector is?

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Cheers for the replies and the positive comments guys!

Seat belts went in nicely, a mate ended up giving me a set and bolted straight in.

Didn’t make up the bash plate for the fuel tank. after measuring I found that I only needed to raise the rear of the car 2 cm to pass. So another easy fix.

So its all down to the exhaust, Yeah the problem is on the collector 4 into 2 part which is made to slide off.  it sits too close to the chassis, brake line, and vapour line from the canister (old fuel line).  Off to the exhaust shop tomorrow to see what he thinks.

Then hopefully next week back to the engineer,

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s exactly the prob I had with mine.

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

What carbon canister are you using? I used the stock VT-VZ style mounted where you have your fuel filter.

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

TUF GMH, I used the VT-VZ canister as well, due to it being a nicer shape to mount. I was thinking to putting it under the car, or under one of the guards. But the engineer wanted it as high was it could be. so I ended up mounting it in the boot. pretty much straight above the filter.

Still not quite through engineering yet, but the car is out of action for a while. Having a few cooling issues with the PWR radiator, I have sent it back and am awaiting an answer in regards to warranty. hopefully wont take to long. I miss driving it already :disappointed:

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

TUF GMH, I used the VT-VZ canister as well, due to it being a nicer shape to mount. I was thinking to putting it under the car, or under one of the guards. But the engineer wanted it as high was it could be. so I ended up mounting it in the boot. pretty much straight above the filter. Still not quite through engineering yet, but the car is out of action for a while. Having a few cooling issues with the PWR radiator, I have sent it back and am awaiting an answer in regards to warranty. hopefully wont take to long. I miss driving it already

Cheers. Are you using one of the usual engineers like Ray Spence or John Wilson?

Mine fits neatly on the drivers side in front of the diff, no leaks or heavy smells so far fingers crossed.

The fuel tank isn’t the usual setup either. A mate who built the car went with a shortened VU SS setup in a long range tank.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of TUFGMH TUFGMH.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

TUF GMH, I used the VT-VZ canister as well, due to it being a nicer shape to mount. I was thinking to putting it under the car, or under one of the guards. But the engineer wanted it as high was it could be. so I ended up mounting it in the boot. pretty much straight above the filter. Still not quite through engineering yet, but the car is out of action for a while. Having a few cooling issues with the PWR radiator, I have sent it back and am awaiting an answer in regards to warranty. hopefully wont take to long. I miss driving it already

Cheers. Are you using one of the usual engineers like Ray Spence or John Wilson? Mine fits neatly on the drivers side in front of the diff, no leaks or heavy smells so far fingers crossed. The fuel tank isn’t the usual setup either. A mate who built the car went with a shortened VU SS setup in a long range tank.

Very different pump setup indeed. Only issue I see is complete tank removal to get to pump, but it’s prob something u only do once if that

ive got to run a purge tank also  I’m think of putting it behind drivers side rear wheel well up with the filler tube etc

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Always interesting to see other ideas, wonder how hard it would be to put a removable panel in the boot to get to it for maintenance?  Pretty sure the purge canister can go anywhere from front to back of the car, there’s a vac line from the manifold has to get to it, so either way theres some work involved in running a line.  Petty about the PWR problem, post up once you hear back what the issue was.

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

Once you take the side plate off in front of the filler and undo filler neck clamp and disconnect vent hose, it would be easy to drop the tank. Probably more work to empty a ute tray, pull out the liner just to get to the access panel lol ;)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

That the liner. Such a PITA

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Hey everyone,

Now 100% passed and Legal. Such a run around to get passed but it was all worth it.

TUFGMH – I have been looking around at the in tank pump setups and I think it is the way I will go in the end.  simular to what you have done, this one was a red vh in street commodore last month

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

VRsenator065- The PWR issue was quite disappointing, It never got hot but each time I drove it I would get a small puddle of coolant under the cap area.  I contacted PWR told them about my problem and decided to try another cap.

After a few weeks with the same problem so I pressure tested the system to find it wasn’t holding pressure. At this stage I removed it and sent it back to PWR. They did all there tests and told me it was their error when making it.

two and a half weeks later I get a new radiator with a new PWR cap. I install it and bleed the system as normal ready to drive to work on Monday only to find coolant everywhere. I then checked the cap AGAIN to find it wasn’t holding pressure. so I went and got a triden lock tab cap and no problem since.

First and Last time for me using PWR

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Since the car passed I decided it deserved a clean and polish.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Congratulations mate, fantastic work, you must be over the moon :good:

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.