HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralBrakesVE/VF rear brakes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of hsv865 hsv865 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hsv865
    hsv865
    Participant
    Supporter

G’day i’ve been looking into brakes, does anyone know the difference between vt & ve rear brakes,mainly the hand brake shoes ,they look the same from what i can find.but i don’t have a ve handy to do a side by side.

Profile photo of Brockfan05
    Brockfan05
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey mate, hope you don’t mind me asking. what are you planning to do? Might be easier for ppl to give you advice is all. Cheers.

Without looking too hard, I do think there are a couple of differences. I will check the specs.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Brockfan05 Brockfan05.
    Brockfan05
    Participant
    Supporter

Ok, did a quick search and couldn’t find anything for the handbrake shoes but there are differences in the rotors as follows:

VT – diameter = 286 mm, hat height = 78.6 mm, thickness = 16 mm, centre hole diam = 70 mm

VE – diameter = 302 mm, hat height = 56 mm, thickness = 22 mm, centre hole diam = 67.4 mm

As you know, the hand brakes shoes run inside the ‘hat’ and there is 22mm difference in hat height. Again, without actually having both components in front of me to measure, it’s hard to give a definitive answer.

Brockfan05
    Participant
    Supporter

Geez you guys must think I crap on a bit hehehe. Did a quick bit of research through some manuals I have, I found that the shoes themselves look pretty similar. However the method of mounting appears significantly different. Now I haven’t actually changed VE park brake shoes so I don’t know any ‘cheats’ for the job. According to the manual, to replace VE shoes require a press to remove the hub from the rear knuckle assembly and you end up destroying the bearing, and the hub bearing drive shaft nut and washer need to be replaced. Still not a 100% guarantee I know. I also did a parts search for them and keep coming up with ‘VT on’ as a description.

Profile photo of hsv865
    hsv865
    Participant
    Supporter

yeah the hat height is smaller,gunna look into vp hat height,thinking out loud, vp outer stubs ve rotors,ve is a global thing you be surprised with what gm make that will fit an aussie car.ve got bigger wheel bolts(not really an issue) .have access to corvette brembos that bolt virtually straight up to front,looking to put matching set on back(that don’t have ve written on them).will look into it next couple weeks,let use know how i go.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.