This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,648 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,181 through 1,200 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Today End!

Seeing as tomorrow is going to be hotter I figured I’d go down and install the extra tie down points I’ve had sitting here for 4 years now…

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Look good, must be a handy rig to have given your “hobbies”

Profile photo of

Look good, must be a handy rig to have given your “hobbies”

Thanks, it was a toss up between keeping this and my Adventra… while the Wagon was probably a bit more practical the Tonner won out just on versatility, saves having to drag the Trailer around if I’m picking up medium/big things!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

For sure, I reckon a ute would bloody handy to have.  I seriously considered getting one now that I am doing the Kombi.  But my little collection is already growing too big.  But I have always had a soft spot for the HQ-Z style utes with a  5L.

Profile photo of

I like all the Mod Cons in the VZ, that and I have the Chassis set up really well so it’s good fun to drive, add in the AWD system and it’s perfect for my needs and has none of the tail happy tyre frying BS of the early Tonners!

Only real downside is the weight but now it’s relegated to being a Tow car that isn’t as important as it was when I was considering using it for Autocross.

Profile photo of

Today!

Cam and Lifters for the 308 arrived today, Camtech were brilliant to deal with!

Profile photo of

Today!

Got the word from the machine shop they’re going to have to use heavy metal to get the balance right…. another “hidden” cost of the cheaper Strokers..

Profile photo of

Today!

Went out this morning and dropped the exhaust and tailshaft on the wagon to make the engine install a bit easier..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I didn’t know there was a difference between cheap or better strokers.  Is it the base casting they start with?  In the very early days weren’t they regrinding Chev cranks, what do they do now?

Profile photo of

I didn’t know there was a difference between cheap or better strokers. Is it the base casting they start with? In the very early days weren’t they regrinding Chev cranks, what do they do now?

There are a lot of “Cheap” Strokers on the market that are usually Cheap Chinese Castings then it’s pretty much the skies the limit for Forged Cranks and Billet cranks, my Callies Crank on it’s own cost the same as the full Scat kit..

Add into that nice pistons and Rods with good bolts and it can get quite costly, I went pretty much middle of the range for mine as it was never going to make much over the 600Awhp mark.

Profile photo of Chris (agentcrm)
    Chris (agentcrm)
    Participant
    Supporter

I didn’t know there was a difference between cheap or better strokers. Is it the base casting they start with? In the very early days weren’t they regrinding Chev cranks, what do they do now?

There are a lot of “Cheap” Strokers on the market that are usually Cheap Chinese Castings then it’s pretty much the skies the limit for Forged Cranks and Billet cranks, my Callies Crank on it’s own cost the same as the full Scat kit.. Add into that nice pistons and Rods with good bolts and it can get quite costly, I went pretty much middle of the range for mine as it was never going to make much over the 600Awhp mark.

A regrind would be a cheap stroker, also not a great way to do it when chasing more grunt because of the smaller bearing diameter.
    Then there’s cast cranks
    Forged cranks
    Then into the world of billet. :D

Profile photo of

Back in the day there were a lot of Welded/Offset ground strokers about, not a great way to do it, ditto on offset ground smaller bearing cranks..

Profile photo of

Today End!

Turned into a long day, travelled all over Melbourne to collect bits and pieces, didn’t end up getting the LS1 as it wasn’t finished, collected the 308 will unload it in the morning..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looks like s full house. Lots to do ian

Profile photo of

Looks like s full house. Lots to do ian

Yeah the plan derailed….

Machine shop has let me down badly so I have all of this to do at the same time, I’d planned it all to spread out over the last month.. bzzzz wrong, Tonner is now 1500Km overdue for a service and it needs rear wheel bearings so add that to the list..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It’s always the case. Nothing on know one calls. Heaps to do phone doesn’t stop

Profile photo of

It’s always the case. Nothing on know one calls. Heaps to do phone doesn’t stop

Funny how that works eh  ;-)

—————

Today End!

All done on the LS1, unloaded and ready for cleaning and assembly prep tomorrow!

Had a thought on the trip down about the grumbly wheel bearings in the Tonner, it only started when I put the box on, wonder if its just amplifying the normal noise, I say this because the Harrop in it was a noisy thing on overrun but in the lexcen even coasting it’s quiet as, I think the Tray on the Tonner creates a bit of an amp for noise then maybe the box is just bringing it all closer to my ear… will see next time I go out in it as the box is off now!

Profile photo of

Today!

Deburred/chamfered the block then gave everything a final clean, gapped the rings then laid the Crank in, bzzzzz DOH my Angle Meter is MIA either I’ve loaned it to someone (unlikely) it’s walked from the shed as I haven’t seen it for years (maybe) or I’ve put it away somewhere “safe” never to be seen again (more than likely) either way I need to go get a new one before I can proceed..

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks god im not the only one who puts tools away and cant find them!

Always enjoy reading your thread LJ its part of my afternoon catch up. Cheers

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I can find out if the old man has one but we are a fair hike from you..

Viewing 20 posts - 1,181 through 1,200 (of 2,649 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.