This topic contains 134 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jlss jlss 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Well boys small update got the old girl tuned drives so much smoother now than ever seemed more cranky before.

Got a few light leaks one at the gearbox extension housing seal, light one at the back of the intake manifold, and left axle seal on the diff but all minor so not that worried at the moment.

Im thinking just enjoying it at the moment with the family.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Hey guys just a little update was driving around on tuesday night in the ss and was hearing this ting ting sound so anyway got her home and this arvo got some leds for the signal and interior and thought i wonder if the cats gone so pulled it off and put her upside down and wolla.

B-) B-)

Thats all i could find. Maybe a bit is in the muffler but mm cant be bothered. Been getting some lenghts of mild steel 2.5 inch together lately me so me and the old man might have a go at it. See what happens.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^there must be some pissed off bees around, looks like they are missing their hive :)

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Hey guys just took the car for a small drive this arvo and notice my temp gauge going up to the HOT :evil: .And well my thermo fans have stopped. Pulled over let the car cool down for 30 mins. Luckly i was only 5 mins away from home.

So tonight went over my earths, fuses, wires and cant find anything wrong. Even once i checked everything started the car and temp was up they wont kick in, even with adjusting my thermo controller up and down. So a little pissed but ohwell :scratch:

So plan is tomorrow disconnect everything and run a fuse and switch so i can manually opperate them just for piece of mind. :scratch:  so see what happens.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

I know you said you checked fuses earths and wires what about the fan relay?

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

:good: Na didnt check the relay could swap it with another the same see what that does. Cheers man.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Well today I looked over the relay for the thermos and nothing swapped the relay with another the same still nothing. :scratch:

So then I started tinkering dropped the coolant checked the thermostat controller all fine then pulled the radiator out gave it a good flush was a lil dirty. Then pulled the old air conenser and fan out to get my intercooler closer to the radiator and tidy up the intercooler hoses i have all over the place also had some perished hoses.  :-) So i have a few things to sort out before shes back on the road.

This is how the bay looks at the moment.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

So guys as of last week ive cleaned up my intercooler lines, new brackets for the intercooler (now sits around 20mm away from my radiator), had an auto electrician check out the wiring for my thermos (which i had done by a highly recomended workshop) and he pointed out the connections are coming away from wires, the relay wasnt right for what the fans need and how messy the loom was and a few other things. Pisses me off the kind of money you put into things and you dont get the job done right.

We were looking at the relay on the weekend moving it up and down slightly and my fuel pump was kicking in and out. :scratch:

So basically said he would redo it all properly and fix a couple other things for $80 which i thought was good but hes busy for the next week so maybe soon get that sorted. But apart from that i have got some new lights and a new coolant overflow bottle coming this week. So :good: things are getting there.  :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Totally agree with your frustration, but looks like you getting on top of it ☺

Profile photo of thatotherguy94
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

Looks good, sucks about the thermo problems.. Would love to put a charger on mine one day. Car looks good too, probably my favourite VR SS colour  :good:

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Well boys got some goodies today ha ha. My new lights bargain by the way. And got some corner lights thrown in. Also my new coolant overflow. So pretty excited to get them all fitted. Had the front bar off last week while i was fixing my intercooler lines and sorting bits out so easier to put my new lights in. :yahoo:   :good:

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Well guys got the fans working with 2 relays on the weekend kick in when i adjust the thermo controller but they only seem to be running on low. Im guessing this is because ive split the +12 volt line to each 12v 30 amp with 30 amp fuses so im guessing each fan is running 6v because ive split them. Anyways im sure il sort it out over the week. Also got my new headlights in and used the newer indicators too, they seemed to be in better nic than my old ones.

But real happy so far just cant wait to get these fans sorted.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice progress mate, not sure about the 6V thing unless you can sketch out the circuit of what you have done, only way that would happen is if you wired them in series?  Good progress though buddy, coming along nicely.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Cheers gary. Here is a quick write down i think its right. Something like that though.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

That should be fine, both will see 12 volts.

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Yeah both work just not getting the high speed of the fans just low?

Immortality
    Participant

What thermo fans are they?

What wire size are you using?

Can you measure current draw/voltage when running?

Profile photo of jlss
    jlss
    Participant

Au thermos the positive 12volt to the relays are 40 amp big gauge stuff. The other connections are just a 30 amp half the size of the 12volt positive. Havent got a multimetres at moment my bros had them for the last year. Ha ha.  :good:

Immortality
    Participant

OK, doing a quick bit of research I see the AU thermo’s have a low and high speed circuit so you’ll need to figure out which is which and wire up the high speed circuit.

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-technical-document-thermo-fan-wiring-d54

Found this on Just Commodores.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

I have the AU fans and they are wired to come on at full speed when switched on.They draw 50 amps at their fastest speed.The auto electricians originally only used a single relay and it eventually melted that and stopped the fans.These fans work really well but they draw a heap of juice.

Your 40 amp feed wire might be on the light side.Mine has a heavy gauge wire to feed each relay and fan.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.