HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLSouthRidge VK Calais V8 Supercharged

This topic contains 30 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SouthRidge
    SouthRidge
    Participant

Hi all this is my VK calais v8 that I built for straight gas, i have been building it up myself for some time and has been transformed through alot of DIY.

Model: 1985 VK Calais

Engine: 308 5lt at 9.8 compression

Engine Mods: Decked, crack tested, Blueprinted, 286 crow cam, twin row rollmaster timing chain, new 308 crank/rods/bearings/rings/oil pump, VS heads ported and polished, lt1 valve springs, shot peen rods, Harrop Dual plane manifold ported and polished, eaton m90 supercaharger (3 inch pulley)custom adapter plate, Gas research s440. (was impco 425 holley base plate)

Trans: Th350 rebuilt with stage 2 shift kit and TCE 3500 stall converter with after market cooler and lines.
    (have 4 speed ready just need to chose a stall size)

Exhaust: twin 2.5, twin hotdogs/ muflers and no catylic converters (straight lpg systems, no fuel tank)

Diff: Borgwarner 3.45 ratio (have 4.11/lsd to go in.)

Suspension: All new, Adjustable panhard bar, Gt gas shocks, 3 inch lowered springs, FULL nolathane bush kit

Brakes: All new, calipers, dual diaphram bb, discs and pads.

Exterior: 19″ BBS LM, hdt grile, modified rear bar, new head/tail lights, Sun roof,  respray black.(was green)

Interior: SAAS Steering wheel, 5 inch Taco, Satin black VN Calais seats, VL vynil door cards, black trim.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of SouthRidge SouthRidge.
    Profile photo of Hdtiin
    Hdtiin
    Participant

Very nice mate .black calais are hot !

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Good to see you come over mate  :good:

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

That’s a nice Calais mate. Looks so good in black.

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Curious to see this intake setup with m90 on a dual plane manifold. Got any engine bay pics? Looks a nice car.

SouthRidge
    Participant

The m90 Unit i had to modify the rear to clear the distributor. The aluminium plate i bought for 50 bucks and I used a router, jig saw, drill and angle grinder to cut it up. Only bad point is the the clean up of the aluminium flakes. I used a steel tapered locking hub V pulley from a industrial joint for 20 bucks. Made a idler pulley mounted of  the alternator bracket. Its all a bit of cheap diy fun. Complete setup fits under bonnet.

Also i haven’ t smoothed/sprayed my engine bay till i sort out the engine and wiring and final locations for every thing. This spring probably.

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

mate that is EXACTLY what i have planned to do with my vc with the m90!! (except tha lpg) Hows it go? Do you know what power you are making? What psi are you running? Can you give me absoloutly any and all info you have on what you did? Sorry for the third degree but im stoked that someone else has done it and i can gleem some info from them:). – Aaron

SouthRidge
    Participant

Here is a video of the system running. Still needs some tuning done to get the AFR right.

https://youtu.be/tijhlfT5dnw

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of SouthRidge SouthRidge.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of SouthRidge SouthRidge.
    SouthRidge
    Participant

Over the past few weekends i installed my t700 that i had laying around in the garage. The shift linkage works fine with the t350 shifter. The standard stall works fine now the the engine produces more low down torque. Only thing is I spliced the tail shafts but since installing it appears to be clunking in the center CV of the shaft. It wasn’t playing up before hand. I thought that maybe it because the plunge of the CV is possibly at full extension (as i recall the CV on the t700 front shaft was positioned a little further towards the front as appose to the T350 half being a tad bit further back on the shaft) and causing the bearings to squeeze, only thing is its only one bearing doing it. (1 complete revolution- clunk) so i gotta pull it apart again some time and investigate. Any wisdom on the cv shaft problem would be great.

SouthRidge
    Participant

Small update. Did a quick and nasty paint job in the engine bay. Although its a simple presure pack job the result has really lift the overall complete look of the bay.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of SouthRidge SouthRidge.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Bay looks very nice mate, looks tuff with the blower like that :good:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Your bay looks fine to me. I did the same thing with my bay. A spray can job looks way better than 30 years of chips , scratches and other built up crap.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hey buddy, can you pm me re the banner :good:

Profile photo of hsvp172
    hsvp172
    Participant

Hey SouthRidge love what you’ve done with the m90 setup, want to do more or less the same thing with my vp calais. Could you possibly put up some pics of your tension pulley setup and the mod u did on the blower to clear the dizzy?

SouthRidge
    Participant

Well i finally almost had everything setup for the VK ,

Got a windscreen for 10 bucks and fitted over the weekend.
    Painted the rest of the panels (spare bonnet/scoop/grill/fuel flap/door handle inserts.
    Hooked up the T700 kickdown.

Go for a test drive… no 3 or 4th… hahaha, so I’m going to remove the T700 this weekend on my birthday and re install the t350. I’m going to replace the clutch packs my self over time, no rush. Its a pity though, the low stall speed with the punchy 1st gear is sweet with the blower.

So its few steps forward and couple back, i’ll get there one day!

SouthRidge
    Participant

Here are some photos of what i did to the m90, i only have these photo’s

m90 mods

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

still really love this.. So how much of a difference did you find the m90 made? How much clearance is there between the bonnet?

SouthRidge
    Participant

Hey thanks, the m90 does make a difference. Mainly in torque and more power in the low and mid range. Top end im yet to find out as im taking it easy and slowly tuning it overtime. Clearance is around 10 mm. I think if i were to do it againg i would go with 2 mm less on the adapter plate and machine the rake on the intake manifold. I wanted to use the 6 rib pulley on a modified vt crank but cost was blowing out my diy budget. The v belt hasnt slipped yet and operates prety quite.

SouthRidge
    Participant

Drove this yesterday to the servo, Was great fun. The sound of the blower intake sings nicely at around 3500rpm cruising. And at WOT wines just right. Ill be taking the vk out next saturday with wide angle lense video. Hopefully the sound will record ok and ill post a edited version here.

SouthRidge
    Participant

The VK is now being driven more often, for some time i have been stressing about the final result of my efforts for the paint. Only realizing now after parking next to other daily driven cars that it has finished up ok in the end. Im now looking forward to this weekend going to the car show in ferny creek, prior to this I plan to make some subtle aesthetic mods to give it a point of difference.  Ill do another update with the results.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.