HomeForumsGeneralThe Pool RoomSo…. Looks like the final nail has gone into the SC forum coffin

This topic contains 44 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

12 years on, and probably 6 years since it went into the foetal position, it appears that the forum has ended for good. Sadly, heaps of great info has sunk with it like the LS conversion thread.

Bottoms up for a fallen comrade

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

Hope the magazine goes too. Biggest waste of money. Half the pages are ads. Articles are barely proof read with countless mistakes and it’s about an 1/8th the thickness of street machine.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Haven’t bought the mag in years or visited the website.

No loss really.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Would have been nice to know this was going to happen. Shame no one was warned by them.

I have lost a lot of info that I didnt save dam it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Very sad, not unexpected though.  Actually surprised it lasted this long.

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

I believe FaceBook is the reason behind a lot of this. The L67Torque forum is very close to going under I think. It has been neglected by its majority of members since FaceBook got into building instant sites.

I was trying to prop up that Forum, but most people who come there now ask a question & don’t return for a reply. To happy to go to FB for an instant response from instant experts.

I am over trying to drum up interest & donations to keep it alive.

Shame really cause there is always something you want to look back on that is usually in someone else threads.

Immortality
    Participant

You see that on a lot of forums unfortunately (user with singular posts and no follow up).

I’ve donated to some forums but simply can’t donate to all, need to draw the line somewhere unfortunately but then contribute in other ways.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Fb is good for what it is, those quick replies.  But imo a forum is much better for a build thread as its chronological and searchable, more  record of whats done.  Trouble with fb is its near on impossible to go back later and find something.  Its also open to every arm chair expert out there so a lot of whats said is simply bs.  On a forum you get to know the people who are replying and their knowledge.  I know this forum is not the busiest place around, but I think we are pushing up around 800 members, and there is some really nice builds on here.  As long as the odd donation comes in from people on here I will keep it running :good:

Profile photo of cookie
    cookie
    Participant

only went and checked if it was still ‘alive’ last night and got an ‘OK’ …
    guess all the saved bookmarks i have on good articles are now usless :(
    and my threads are gone too  :’-(

such a shame that noone who was passionate about good information to look after it…damnit!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Once Blake left there, that was it.  I tried to contact them and offer to take it over for them free of charge so we could have kept everything alive instead of starting anew.  I would have much preferred to do that, then just update the look of it a bit.  But they didn’t even answer any of my messages.  All that info down the drain.  So sad.

One thing I will say though is members make forums.  All of them, this one included, will eventually wither and die if people don’t get on here, and make posts, start threads etc.  If people only come on to have a look, eventually those of us that do post will get a bit bored and go somewhere else.

Immortality
    Participant

The sad part is that they were paid as part of a special interest magazine and couldn’t be bothered to maintain the forum…..

JC is much better run and they are all volunteers……

To me it seemed the writers were only interested in the magazine to further their own projects using magazine sponsors!

Immortality
    Participant

Just had a look, the forum is gone but the Tech section is still available so not all is lost (yet).

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Too many peanuts on JC

Immortality
    Participant

You can say what you like about JC but they are still here and evolving where SC is no longer and there were plenty of tossers on that forum too.

Plenty of good people and info on JC you just need to ignore the idiots.

My point was that magazine had the finances to run a forum properly but chose not to because the writers were more interested in milking the sponsors to further there own goals instead of looking after the readers and forum members.  That magazine went stale years ago!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hard to ignore the idiots on JC when some of them are mods though and enjoy their little power trips.  But anyhow its not about JC, it is a real shame SC has died, I think the owners of it just let it die a slow death.  I mean how long did they leave the 2010 yearbook image up in the banner, it just needed to kept a little updated, how hard would that have been.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

You can say what you like about JC but they are still here and evolving where SC is no longer and there were plenty of tossers on that forum too. Plenty of good people and info on JC you just need to ignore the idiots. My point was that magazine had the finances to run a forum properly but chose not to because the writers were more interested in milking the sponsors to further there own goals instead of looking after the readers and forum members. That magazine went stale years ago!

</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>i tried but I gave up in the end.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>The fact they got rid of tapatalk didn’t help either. I don’t have a PC so it’s all on the phone</p>

Immortality
    Participant

That’s exactly it though, there were plenty of guys working for the SC mag who could have spent just a little time in their day to moderate the forum but chose not too, many of the fomumites where also magazine readers so it says a hell of a lot about what they think of their readership too.

Immortality
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

You can say what you like about JC but they are still here and evolving where SC is no longer and there were plenty of tossers on that forum too. Plenty of good people and info on JC you just need to ignore the idiots. My point was that magazine had the finances to run a forum properly but chose not to because the writers were more interested in milking the sponsors to further there own goals instead of looking after the readers and forum members. That magazine went stale years ago!

</p> <p style=”text-align: left;”>i tried but I gave up in the end.</p> <p style=”text-align: left;”>The fact they got rid of tapatalk didn’t help either. I don’t have a PC so it’s all on the phone</p>

I agree, I take it in short bursts….

The problem was taptalk had/does have serious issues with security and can understand why it was dropped.

JC recently upgraded the forum software so it’s a fair bit different in how it looks now.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Funny how if you posted about CP like you have about JC on there though, its a ban…..  Whereas here is just one big happy family, well so far anyhow….

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

My main gripe with JC is there seem to be no real experts in the areas I make queries who have experience, so a decent technical question gets zero response. That, and the allowance for members to ask the same questions over and over again (eg. Will VE SS wheels fit my VT Commy?) even though there is usually a thread 3 below theirs.

I have been a member of most forums for the past 13yrs, so I am at the point of pretty much knowing what I need to know and rarely need to make a query.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.