HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralExhaustRecommend a muffler upgrade

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cava454 cava454 9 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of someguy360
    someguy360
    Participant

Hi Guys.

After some of the expert’s opinions when it comes to exhausts for the old 304.

I currently have a Manta (Redback) 2.5″ single catback (as pictured below) paired with a 200 cell high flow cat and Advance Tri Y’s.

While it does have a nice note to it from the outside of the car, it’s damn near silent inside. I have both the slip on rear section with the rear muffler as you can see in the pic, but also the straight pipe rear section.

Now the problem I am having is the rear section with the rear muffler (which is quite large) is that the exhaust is too subtle and quiet, and the straight pipe rear section is just bullsh*t loud. (I live in a very quiet area and on weekends drive odd hours).

I am thinking keeping the current rear and replacing the front muffler might be the go, but I am not sure whats decent these days. Either that or replacing the rear with something straight through like this

(Straight through glass pack)

The other option I have is to buy a factory Clubsport exhaust like this and have it modify it to suit my needs but I haven’t had any experience with the sounds the HSV mufflers make.

As much as I would love to just go out and get a brand new system made to suit, it really just isn’t on the cards right now (renovations etc).

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I had (obviously I guess) a HSV exhaust like above on my VR Senator originally. I loved the sound of it.

someguy360
    Participant

Did yours still have the rear muffler attached?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yep, looked exactly like your picture above including rear muffler. Actually I kept the centre mufflers as they had HSV stamped in them also the headers in case I every wanted to take her back to standard. But yep looked just like that, sounded nice (to my ears) low tough grumble.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Just delete the rear muffler on what u have now and replace with straight pipe.

someguy360
    Participant

I do actually have a flanged rear section, so with 2 bolts I can go between the rear muffler and straight pipe.

Unfortunately without the rear it’s very loud, I live in a pretty quiet area with elderly neighbors who have a very low tolerance for noise.

I really only need that few db more than what I currently have. Which has made me think I will just hold off and go for a similar setup to what I have now but in a 3″ instead of a 2.5. I am hoping that will give me that little extra edge without going over the top.

Unfortunatly Holden seems to have done a pretty good job of sound proofing the cabin of the statesmans, the Exhaust is a pretty reasonable note on the outside, but inside it’s very quiet unless I am accelerating, and being the driver it would be nice to hear the note a bit from inside.

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

twin system into single sound really nice in the 304s.. Twin 2.5 into single 3 or twin 2.25 into 2.5 would be my bet..

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Twin 2.5 into single 3 sounds wickid.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Twin 2.5 into single 3 sounds wickid.

What brand cav? :)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Don’t know if there is off the shelf for it. My VR used to have that with only a middle muffler. Sounded balls

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.