HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralTech Articles, Links & CalculatorsRB26, 2JZ & Barra 6 eat your hearts out!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LF24
    LF24
    Participant
    Supporter

Not sure if anyone has seen it yet.  Quite an amazing article about how much abuse and power a cast iron LS can handle.  I just bring this article up these days whenever anyone starts cracking on about bang for buck or 1000hp stock bottom ends.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-1109-stock-gm-ls-engine-big-bang-theory/

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cant find it right now, but supposedly my block will comfortably handle 1800hp.  There is an article floating around about an LSx block failing but it was a very early one that had suffered core shift.  Said it before I think the LS platform is the modern version of the venerable (and awesome) small block.  Anyone who has had the sump off of one and seen how the big ends etc tie everything together etc can see the strength.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I think the big point with that article is the fact that they opened up the top ring gap, I have no doubt that engine would most likely have failed spectacularly if they had left the standard top ring gap as the extra heat from the FI would have had the ring gap close up, grab the bore and rip the top off the piston.  Most guys throwing a turbo kit on a stock LS motor would never bother to do such a modification.

I believe there are also some differences between the LS truck motors and the more common 5.7 litre car engines which have known issues with the bore liners once a certain power level is reached.

The big point to note again is that engine longevity is greatly influenced by the quality of the tune :)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality. Reason: speeling
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

4.8 and 5.3 are different to the 5.7. Biggest change the block material obviously. The ring gap would of made a massive difference

LSX are rated to 2000hp depending on the cubic inch. 454 the walls are getting thinner. Generally the big power boosted vehicles are around 408cube.

its one thing to make the power. Another thing to keep it together.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea appreciate the LSx454 is getting to the limit wall size, actually I think its more the gap between bores for head sealing?  I think that’s why the boosted version is 396ci, and also the full race spec 454R is actually a higher stroke & taller block to reduce the bore size.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

They are known to split down the bores between cyclinders.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I guess around 2,000hp something might give.  1,000hp all day long would do me :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.