HomeForumsTechnical – GeneralGeneral How TosPro Ratchet Install with Drop Box and Reverse Lever Chg

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Also got the console pretty well sorted.  Had this idea to remove the reverse lock out lever then reposition it across so it in line with the main gear lever.  That way you don’t have to touch the console itself.  Took quite a bit of fiddling, and using the tig in the cabin had be nervous.  I disconnected the battery and actually removed the ECU just to be safe.  Very happy with it though, I think it looks nice and clean.

Then lastly ran a master switch in series with the trans brake switch.  I put it inside the centre console, so it its off, it doesn’t matter if I hit the trans brake switch on the shifter it won’t fire.  Just wanted it to be on the safe side.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

And this is how it sits now after I made an adapter and used a manual shift know to make it look a little more factory.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So while I am waiting for it to turn up, and its up on the hoist I thought I would start tinkering with how I am going to fit the Dakota Digital gear selector readout unit.  Its part of “Project legal” that the gear the cars in has to be seen day and night.  No way  want to get pinged by the cops for something so basic.  So the kit comes with a potentiometer that you hook up to the gear selection lever on the side of the gearbox.  Needless to say on mine that’s no easy task room wise.  I wanted to keep everything away from the heat of the exhaust as much as possible too.

So I came up with what I think is a nice little solution mounting it forward of the gearbox on the bell housing.  I then made up an linkage out of some scrap ally strip I had.  Suesy kindly volunteered to climb up into the car and run threw the gears for me.  I will turn her into a petrol head yet!!!  So the linkage works a treat.  I packed it out with nuts, maybe should have turned up a little spacer but meh, I might do that later.

I then had to run the cable around and up through the tunnel into the car.  I had some 1/2″ ally fuel tube left over so I made up a nice tube to give the cable some mechanical protection.  Pretty happy with how its turned out.  It comes up through the same grommet we did for the trans brake.

So now at some stage, maybe next week end I will play around mounting the controller etc in the car, and work out a nice way to mount the LED’s.

At some stage I will try and score a glide bell housing cover, when I do I will trim and tig up a nice little cover for the mechanism, although its actually tucked up nice and out of harms way.

Also adjusted the ride height up at the front 25mm as it was just too low, thanks to the guys for the tips on how to do that properly by cracking the lock nut at the base of the struts and turning them.  Fell a bit amateur not realising that how its done, so of course set the spring pre-load at the same time.

Nice to be working on it again, just so lovely working on it, also took a pic down the side getting its shine on :)

So with a bit of luck, just fix up this fuel pump niggle, and away we go again :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice little job done and dusted.  Hot as over here so just started messing around with this this morning and just sort of got into it.  Got Galwer Art & Signs to make up a nice decal I drew up for me, so applied that to the selector clear plastic display.  Used a sander and removed the silk screening etc for the underside. Cut the bottom out of the original white plastic housing and made up an ally strip to mount the panel lights.  Also made up a little loom and used a 6 way connector so its all easy to service or remove if I have too.  I am really happy with it, nice and neat I think. Few pics for posterity;

p.s. forgot to mention I had to cut about 5mm away along the edge of the black plastic strip that moves back and forth with the shifter.

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Cheers Gary, I think I’ll copy the gear indicator idea, looks mint.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Have to say I am very happy with how it all turned out, its very neat and semi-factory like.

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

Gees Gary, nice gauge pod there :hmm:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That was before I started making mine!!

Profile photo of ChrisM
    ChrisM
    Participant
    Supporter

Haha. We started with the same ones. I do like your ones better

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea this is how it all sits now  :good:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.