HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, that’s the rear hatch area done and dusted.  Big relief.  The last really major bit, tbh was dreading it a bit.  Turned out to be complicated but not hard if that makes sense.  Put the stretcher to work and started making up my internal channel replacements.  very happy with the progress so far.  And, of course, the main thing is the customer is happy  :good:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Looking good guys!  B-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks, IJ, really starting to get the buzz back.  Can def see the light at the end of the tunnel, can’t wait to tour around in it.  And Suesy is just as excited :good:

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Getting there Gary nice work

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

What a  score!!  Started out trying to find a wrecked rear hatch I could make cuts from to try and fix the hatch I had.  Which led me to Ian the Kombi whizz (not our IJ the AWD whizz!!), who had a mint one for my model for a decent price (by kombi standards)  Mine was only fitted in 1960/61.  Prior they were different, and after went to a much larger window.  So to find one mint, and the correct year is a mini lotto win.  Also now I have everything pretty much done around the back hatch, so ticking off the big-ticket items.  Fun times!!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looks like Porge was able to fix the forum :good:

Another nice day. Did have a bit of a deja vu moment a couple of days ago when I thought I would do a small repair inside the engine compartment.  Then noticed the C channel thingo (does it hold some sort of seal?) was non-existant.  Luckily the side panel wasn’t too bad.  Then turned my head and the dreaded tin worm had attacked the rear overhead back section (sorry I don’t know the names!!)  Also, part on the support for the rear deck area was gone.  Anyhow, slow and steady wins the race.  I would say, if I were to do this again, I would invest in a 1200mm folder, and a guillo.  I have a small 300mm folder, but cutting everything with a grinder or shears sucks.  Also turned him into a 60, with the quad taillights :)

Profile photo of

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

There goes the “Purity” the die hards will Crucify you  :wacko:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sorry IJ, hit the wrong button.  No, I didn’t write that clearly.  Mine is a 60 with dual taillights.  When you buy the replacement panels they only stamp one, then if you have a 60 like mine you have to cut them in.  So its original for the bus/year.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, that’s one engine bay finished.  Shit of a job stuck inside the bay, welding above you, bla bla.  But it’s done.  Pics make it look a little rough up inside but in real life it’s fine, especially for an area you literally will never see.  Coming to the end of the 3-week slog on it.  Super happy with the progress so far.

Profile photo of

Lmao!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Shit this is a big job, glad I was so naive at the start or I wouldn’t have tackled it!  Too far in to stop now  :wacko:

Last of the side reinforcements done.  Took the day as I had to turn the bus around to weld up two small rust holes first, then back again and fabricated the top hat section.  Tricky little sucker to get to fit right.  But came up nice, I don’t think there is too much big stuff left inside the cargo area.  Might be time to start a bit of a hit list and cross off the things that are left as I go.

Profile photo of

LoL@ naive, those of us that know wouldn’t have taken on that job even if paid well let alone for “love”..

Super impressed you’ve stuck at it and it’s almost done, I guarantee 95% that get started from that state are scrapped..

“Built not Bought” anyone can hand a shop a blank cheque and get the same end result, few can turn around and say I did it myself!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers IJ.  I def am looking forward to the satisfaction of driving it knowing I built it.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Anything less then this and I’ll be upset

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Pfft, that’s just a bay window (a nice one though!!)

I love bits!!  All our beautiful polished aluminium windows have arrived from the UK.  So for those that don’t know too much about kombi’s, a bus like mine would have had all fixed windows expect the two rear sied windows which would have oped sideways outwards know as “pop-outs”  The would have been painted body colour.

So we have sort of tee’d off a bit and gone top spec.  So in addition to the front two opening windows called safaris, we have also gone for a safari-style rear hatch window.  All the side windows will also open, the front two on each side pop-outs, but the rear two some very trick mini safaris.  All highly polished.

Had to donate a kidney to afford them, but both Sue and I think it will just absolutely make the look we are going for.

We have gone into lockdown for a few days over here, and today its 37 degrees, but hopefully at some stage will get a chance to fit them.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Getting too hot out there now, calling it a day.

That was the best fun I have had out there since doing the nose I reckon.  Took a break from cut, weld, grind, repeat and decided first off to unpack all the windows from the UK, and see what is involved.  Also unpacked their very nice rack and pinion conversion kit, looks really weld made.

Read a bit on various forums and thought the windows were going to be a pita, but really like always slow and steady wins the race.  And my never-ending love of Inox continues…

I think it looks so cool, will slowly tackle all the rest.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Got the passenger side pops and side safari in, loving the look now :good:

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

wow looking Gary

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks, it’s starting to come together now.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

And we have bling.  That’s all the windows fitted up and glazed.  Once you get a bit of a method going not too hard just fiddly.  But loving the look.  Also had Cooper over earlier, plan is to give it to him in the new year for him to spend a few days doing some of the final body prep to make it easier for the painter.  That will free up time and shed space to allow me to finish off the MG and hopefully get it registered.  Happy days.

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.