HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I’m tipping there’ll be a few more overwhelming days for both is us before we’re done, just part of the game when you take on massive projects, this is why you rarely see the you tube boys do anything like this.. (most are way smarter than us)

I agree with you on this entire comment ;-)

Nice work on the floor Gary, looks like factory! Its good when you get a big piece knocked out and feel like you’ve actually got somewhere! Im unfortunately not at that stage with my ute atm

Thanks, mate, you will get there, slow and steady wins the race!!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

LOL having one of those days today…  :wacko:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Got another day on it today.  Someone previously had hacked out a piece of the side windows literally with an axe.  Can only think it was maybe cannibalised as a donor for another one at some stage.  Also, rust in the bottom of all the side pop-outs.  Had a relatively good donor cut so started making those repairs.  Also, came across an old pic of it sitting in a paddock before we got it ;)

Profile photo of

Such a massive undertaking, I’m glad I started with a good shell and even more so following your work on this…

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Lol. Tbh I didn’t realise how big it would be!

Profile photo of

Too much for me to take on, you’re almost there though… (not really but it sounds good)..

Have you been test fitting windows as you go?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Test fitting what I can when I can.  Def feel like I am over the hump with main body repair.  Still tons to do but its now starting to look like a bus so its keeping me motivated.  Seriously can’t wait to cruise around Australia in it…

Profile photo of

The windows are a bit important, good idea to test them often as you go as the shell can move around a bit with this much structural work going on!

LOL around Aus would be nice if they ever let us travel again..

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Looking Good Gary the more you do the better the skills get

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

The windows are a bit important, good idea to test them often as you go as the shell can move around a bit with this much structural work going on! LOL around Aus would be nice if they ever let us travel again..

Thaks for th tip will do.  But i know right, kind of think we will be heading west away from Victoria!!

Looking Good Gary the more you do the better the skills get

Cheers mate, they are indeed, practice makes perfect, or in my case better ;-)

Profile photo of

Lmao yeah if I didn’t live here you couldn’t pay me to come into Victoria..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

You had me worried. So dug out the original side window glass. Contacted my Kombi guru to ask frame size. Just went out gaps are perfect. Phew!!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Got stuck into the inside work for the pop-out windows.  A mixture of rust, and hacked up parts.  Managed to make repair pieces out of the donor panel, had to get a little creative with a couple but turning out nice.  Not finished off completely. but that’s enough for one day!

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

nice work sir

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers mate,  got a couple of weeks holidays coming up soon.  Aiming to give it a decent kick along then.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I think I am on the home straight of the “big stuff”.  The two horizontal side cross pieces had really bad rust, it’s weird how they get it some places, then only a few inches away it will be perfect.  So got them removed, also rust treated it.  Going to have a go at filling the body pinholes with weld rather than patch it all.  See how that goes.

Then the remaining bad area is above the rear hatch.  It’s basically non-existant.  Cooper came over and had a look for me.  It’s hard when an area is totally rusted away to work out how it goes when you haven’t seen one before.  He has offered during my break, to come down to his shop and we are going to fold up the replacement panels.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Profile photo of

I’ve done one Rust Repair car in my life, a VF Valiant Ute, I found it was like an iceberg in that you could only “See” 15% of the actual rust, never again, Hats off to you on this one!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks mate, yep, totally.  If you can even the smallest hole, brace yourself…  These were only built to last 10 years, and they were never intended to be anything more than a utility type work vehicle.  It’s a long slog, no doubt, but I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Have just started 3 weeks holidays so hoping to give the project a bit of a kick along. One thing I am really thankful for is that the VW crew in SA seen super helpful.  And having Cooper literally up the road from me, and so free to offer advice or share his knowledge is bloody awesome.  He invited me to his workshop today and we (he, ha ha) made up the strengthening pieces that goes across the top inside the channel.  Also folded up some repair pieces.

Yesterday I knocked up the nut plate and some repair pieces for the “columns”.  I do really enjoy how I can start off with a small piece of flat sheet and fiddle away and come up with some tricky little shapes, very cool.  So been playing around and have the new rear piece let in, it’s not welded yet.  So tomorrows aim is to build up the assembly.  Make up some retainers for the nut plate, get that in, and the strengthener etc, then see how far I get, I may even get it in.

Also done a big order with Creative Engineering, for all the polished windows, front safaris, rear safari, side pop-outs, and also two side safaris.  And also have the rack and pinion steering conversion coming over too.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

A great day today, but spent a lot of it with IJ’s comment about how long jobs can take ringing in my head :wacko:

But felt great not having to rush like on a weekend.  Feel like I got a lot done.  The “assembly” across the top above the rear hatch is a pretty complicated little bit of kit, especially if yours is non-existent so not really anything to go on.  But I am happy with how it’s turning out, ready for welding in tomorrow hopefully.

https://i.imgur.com/6yxICLK.jpg[/img

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.