HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Very nice, it’s details like this that will make the Car!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I agree IJ. There are some items that are worth going the extra mile on.  On this build we def think it’s the windows. There’s some very cool stuff out there. Stay tuned.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Couldn’t resist a quick test fit.  Got a full weekend of social stuff, so no Walter work for a while though unfortunately.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Another day.  It’s one thing I learnt with the Senator, I think it’s across anyone’s build.  Sometimes you get days where you just nail it, stand back at the end and go wow, that’s progress.  Other days like today is just fiddle, cut, fiddle, cut, weld, grind repeat.  At the end you look and go is that all.  A bit like that today.  A very funky piece I needed to hand-make for the back of the passenger B pillar.  Messing around with the shrinker/stretcher.  But came out well enough I think, not totally finished off, but enough for now.  More social crap tomorrow, hanging to get a few weekends where I can get really stuck into it.  But slow and steady wins the race I guess.  Few pics for posterity.

Profile photo of

Looking good so far, now isn’t the time to get impatient..  ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Lol, I am impatient to get a decent crack at it.  Life seems to be getting in the way right now…

Profile photo of

Damn you Life <shaking fist>  :yes:

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

we all get days like that’s even at work ,, work your ass of and look back at bugger all done

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sort of starting to learn that if you have a nicely set up workshop and some skills, people tend to pop in for the odd jobs.  Which I do enjoy, but does tend to hamper progress on Walter!!

Got a full day today and maybe half yesterday.  Got the back of both B pillars finished off.  Had to do some funky fab work to make up the repair for the driver’s side pillar.  Also started doing the infill panels that go from the B pillar across behind the cab.  They look easy but (ahem) that they are not!!  Well, not the hardest, but up-down, up-down, cut trim, fit repeat.  Not easy for me when I have literally never seen one in real life as mine rusted away years ago.  But progress is progress. Slow and steady wins the race!!

On a side note, got booked for my first wedding car duties by a young girl at my local deli that turns out loves kombi’s, so that a bit of fun  :-)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of

That’s the one area I prefer on a Race Car, doesn’t matter “because racecar” covers most design choices, has to be tough if you haven’t even seen the original… lucky it’s not a Concours build! (time for the Carrera 4 drivetrain!)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea nah.  I really don’t want a modified hybrid build as cool as hell it would be!  The positive is I am going to dynamat the whole interior so that will hide some “sins”.  I keep telling myself it’s not a show car.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Bit of a CBF day today, so just pottered along.  Cleaned up what was left of the old floor across the back.  And made a start on cutting the rust out of the inner back guard.  Not completely finished but progress is progress.  Think I am going to book a couple of weeks holidays in October.  Then I can get stuck into it again..  Hard to get a run on when its a just a day here and a day there.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Jesus christ this is a big job.  Everywhere I look there is more to do.  But I just keep chipping away at it.  The biggest issue for me is I don’t know how they “are”  So when there is stuff missing ( i.e. rusted away) I don’t really know what I am trying to rebuild.   But I just keep trying to tell myself I am not building a show car.

So under the car are tubes going every which way.  Hand brake, clutch, accelerator, heater.  What’s also a bit funky is they were designed as left-hand drive, then when they made right hands, they changed some stuff and not others.  But got the hand brake tubes in.

Anyhow, working towards fitting the floors in the rear, which will be a huge milestone.  When doing these you have two choices.  Buy LHD floors which apparently are a very poor fit, or buy LHD floors which are a good fit but need mods to make them RHD.  I am doing the latter.

So finished off the lower bulkhead repair that basically had totally rotted away.  Then the rear wheel arches are also rusted so had to hand-make a repair patch.  turned out pretty good, but more or less a full days work to do it.

The plan is next week to do the other wheel arch then get the floor in.

Que the song “never-ending story”

Profile photo of

Massive undertaking Gary, I’ve done a Rusty once when I was younger, never again.. it’s a deal breaker for me..

Impressed with everything you’ve done as I know what a challenge it is. :yes:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks Ian.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s a great weekend, tons of work, but just so nice to sit back at the end and go “fuck yea”.  Big milestone, the cargo floor is in.  A massive job, but it ties it all together.  Still, a long way to go but starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  (I hope I don’t end up ordering more tunnel!!)

Profile photo of

Awesome  :yahoo:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers mate.  Feeling awesome. Was a bit overwhelmed a couple of weeks back. Now back on track.  I am sure you know that feeling!!

Profile photo of

I’m tipping there’ll be a few more overwhelming days for both is us before we’re done, just part of the game when you take on massive projects, this is why you rarely see the you tube boys do anything like this.. (most are way smarter than us) :yes:

Profile photo of acepaint
    acepaint
    Participant

Nice work on the floor Gary, looks like factory! Its good when you get a big piece knocked out and feel like you’ve actually got somewhere! Im unfortunately not at that stage with my ute atm  :-(

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.